Re: Creating new Auto Replace Library

  • hugo_paulissen
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2004
      Bob,

      The autoreplace libraries accept regular clip-syntax, but the problem
      is that it is hard to find out what the real behaviour of the
      placement of text and cursor should be. You could throw in something
      like ^!Keyboard Backspace #SQTH4#, but this causes problems if you
      want to type sq4 at the beginning of a new line.

      This might suit your needs, just try it out...

      ^!Set %Line%=^$strTrim(^$GetLine$)$
      ^!Select Line
      ^%Line%SqTh4

      Hugo

      > What I'd really like to do is be able to type "h(space)" or "s
      (space)
      > and have "H-" or "S-" appear, BUT WITHOUT THE SPACE being added.
      > Otherwise I'd get H- SqTh4 when I need H-SqTh4.
      >
      > Is there any way to have the auto-replaced string include a DELETE
      > CHARACTER or CURSOR BACKSPACE. I'm not sure how this type of
      library
      > can use any Macro commands.
      >
      > tx
      >
      > Bob Summers
    • summers_bob
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2004
        Thanks Hugo

        The first idea with the backspace works as you predicted. If my
        trigger letters start on a new line, the "backspace" character backs
        up over the carriage return and my text is added after the text on
        the line above.

        Your second solution works regardless of where it is used.

        Unfortunately I would have liked the "action" to take place WHEN the
        DANCER abbreviation is typed (eg, H for Heads) rather than when the
        following MOVE abbreviation is typed. However, when using the
        backspace with the dancer abbreviation H-, the "-" is back over
        and "replaced" with the <space> that I typed to triggering the
        AutoReplace in the first place, so the result is "H SqTh4" rather
        than "H-SqTh4".

        This is not actually too bad for a visual result, but unfortunately
        the clip syntax would have to be added to about 250 move
        abbreviations...
        ^!Set %Line%=^$strTrim(^$GetLine$)$
        ^!Select Line
        ^%Line%SqTh4

        Perhaps a simpler solution for me is to add a unique character
        (eg, "#") AFTER the dancer abbreviation so that "h" produces "H-#".
        Then I can globally replace all "#<space>" combinations later with
        <nothing>.

        It looks like NoteTab is a really great program for text with all
        this capability.

        Bob Summers

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen"
        <hugopaulissen@s...> wrote:

        > Bob,
        >
        > The autoreplace libraries accept regular clip-syntax, but the
        problem
        > is that it is hard to find out what the real behaviour of the
        > placement of text and cursor should be. You could throw in
        something
        > like ^!Keyboard Backspace #SQTH4#, but this causes problems if you
        > want to type sq4 at the beginning of a new line.
        >
        > This might suit your needs, just try it out...
        >
        > ^!Set %Line%=^$strTrim(^$GetLine$)$
        > ^!Select Line
        > ^%Line%SqTh4
        >
        > Hugo
        >
        > > What I'd really like to do is be able to type "h(space)" or "s
        > (space)
        > > and have "H-" or "S-" appear, BUT WITHOUT THE SPACE being added.
        > > Otherwise I'd get H- SqTh4 when I need H-SqTh4.
        > >
        > > Is there any way to have the auto-replaced string include a
        DELETE
        > > CHARACTER or CURSOR BACKSPACE. I'm not sure how this type of
        > library
        > > can use any Macro commands.
        > >
        > > tx
        > >
        > > Bob Summers
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2004
          Hi Bob,

          I'm not up on my square dancing moves, nor any of the names for them,
          but perhaps the simplest of all clip programming may be of some
          interest to you if AutoCorrect doesn't do what you want.

          Create a new blank clip library (TOOLS/CLIPBOOK/NEW LIBRARY) save it
          with a name called SD-Moves, then close it. You should see SD-Moves
          in the button bar at the bottom then. Click on SD-Moves and in that
          library create a new clip giving it any name you want for a square
          dance move. For the rest of the clip just type in the text you want,
          including any line breaks in the text (you don't need to use any clip
          programming, just plain ol' text in this case).

          To use the clip just double clip on the clip name (or drag and drop
          it to your document) and your text will be inserted where you told it
          to be inserted. For multiple dance moves, just keep dragging and
          dropping (or double clicking) the square dance moves clip names into
          your document.

          For example, you could have a clip named sq4

          And the rest of the clip (starting with the line below the name of
          sq4) would be the plain text of:

          --SqTh4 (active dancers Square Thru 4)

          To use it, just have your cursor where you want it, and double click
          the clip name sq4 and POOF!

          --SqTh4 (active dancers Square Thru 4)

          Will be inserted into your document.

          John

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "summers_bob" <summers_bob@y...>
          wrote:
          > Thanks Hugo
          >
          > The first idea with the backspace works as you predicted. If my
          > trigger letters start on a new line, the "backspace" character
          backs
          > up over the carriage return and my text is added after the text on
          > the line above.
          >
          > Your second solution works regardless of where it is used.
          >
          > Unfortunately I would have liked the "action" to take place WHEN
          the
          > DANCER abbreviation is typed (eg, H for Heads) rather than when the
          > following MOVE abbreviation is typed. However, when using the
          > backspace with the dancer abbreviation H-, the "-" is back over
          > and "replaced" with the <space> that I typed to triggering the
          > AutoReplace in the first place, so the result is "H SqTh4" rather
          > than "H-SqTh4".
          >
          > This is not actually too bad for a visual result, but unfortunately
          > the clip syntax would have to be added to about 250 move
          > abbreviations...
          > ^!Set %Line%=^$strTrim(^$GetLine$)$
          > ^!Select Line
          > ^%Line%SqTh4
          >
          > Perhaps a simpler solution for me is to add a unique character
          > (eg, "#") AFTER the dancer abbreviation so that "h" produces "H-
          #".
          > Then I can globally replace all "#<space>" combinations later with
          > <nothing>.
          >
          > It looks like NoteTab is a really great program for text with all
          > this capability.
          >
          > Bob Summers

        • hugo_paulissen
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12, 2004
            Hi Bob,

            Actually I tested it with two autoreplace patterns:

            "h"+<space> expands to "H-<space>", so if you type sq4 after that you
            end up with H-SqTh4...

            Hugo

            > backspace with the dancer abbreviation H-, the "-" is back over
            > and "replaced" with the <space> that I typed to triggering the
            > AutoReplace in the first place, so the result is "H SqTh4" rather
            > than "H-SqTh4".

          • summers_bob
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2004
              Hugo,

              It looks like you and NoteTab are giving my brain as good a workout
              as I get from my square dance homework and in moving dancers on the
              floor. It's good to expand my abilities with NoteTab macros and
              clips since I do often convert text to web pages as a retired part-
              time webmaster.

              I tried the simple clip library as you mentionned (in the previous
              post) and it does work as mentionned. However the AutoReplace
              library is still the most helpful, even if I don't get everything
              lined up absolutely perfectly.

              I received an MP3 player/voice recorder for Christmas and I've been
              recording the patter done by experienced callers. My purpose is to
              work it through with my wooden "dancers" on the table later to see
              all the flow. However, it's just too hard to keep pausing the MP3
              player while I move the wooden "dancers". Thus with NoteTab's
              AutoReplace library, my typing can almost keep up with the MP3
              playback without pausing it so I can capture the entire
              patter "relatively" quickly and create a document to print and work
              through later.

              Thanks for your help