Creating new Auto Replace Library

  • summers_bob
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2004
      I'm experimenting with a NEW special purpose autoreplace library to
      help me when entering "my" Square Dance move shortcuts and have them
      expanded into a more standardized 7-character abbreviation: (you
      might need a mono-spaced font for best display)
      eg,
      sw --> Swing
      hsq4 --> H-SqTh4 (Head Couples Square Thru 4)

      using entries in the Library like:
      H="sq4"
      SqTh4

      However, a lot of moves and be done different dancers so I would need
      repetitive entries:
      eg,
      sq4 --> --SqTh4 (active dancers Square Thru 4)
      hsq4 --> H-SqTh4 (HEAD Couples Square Thru 4)
      ssq4 --> S-SqTh4 (SIDE Couples Square Thru 4)

      What I'd really like to do is be able to type "h(space)" or "s(space)
      and have "H-" or "S-" appear, BUT WITHOUT THE SPACE being added.
      Otherwise I'd get H- SqTh4 when I need H-SqTh4.

      Is there any way to have the auto-replaced string include a DELETE
      CHARACTER or CURSOR BACKSPACE. I'm not sure how this type of library
      can use any Macro commands.

      tx

      Bob Summers
    • hugo_paulissen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2004
        Bob,

        The autoreplace libraries accept regular clip-syntax, but the problem
        is that it is hard to find out what the real behaviour of the
        placement of text and cursor should be. You could throw in something
        like ^!Keyboard Backspace #SQTH4#, but this causes problems if you
        want to type sq4 at the beginning of a new line.

        This might suit your needs, just try it out...

        ^!Set %Line%=^$strTrim(^$GetLine$)$
        ^!Select Line
        ^%Line%SqTh4

        Hugo

        > What I'd really like to do is be able to type "h(space)" or "s
        (space)
        > and have "H-" or "S-" appear, BUT WITHOUT THE SPACE being added.
        > Otherwise I'd get H- SqTh4 when I need H-SqTh4.
        >
        > Is there any way to have the auto-replaced string include a DELETE
        > CHARACTER or CURSOR BACKSPACE. I'm not sure how this type of
        library
        > can use any Macro commands.
        >
        > tx
        >
        > Bob Summers
      • summers_bob
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2004
          Thanks Hugo

          The first idea with the backspace works as you predicted. If my
          trigger letters start on a new line, the "backspace" character backs
          up over the carriage return and my text is added after the text on
          the line above.

          Your second solution works regardless of where it is used.

          Unfortunately I would have liked the "action" to take place WHEN the
          DANCER abbreviation is typed (eg, H for Heads) rather than when the
          following MOVE abbreviation is typed. However, when using the
          backspace with the dancer abbreviation H-, the "-" is back over
          and "replaced" with the <space> that I typed to triggering the
          AutoReplace in the first place, so the result is "H SqTh4" rather
          than "H-SqTh4".

          This is not actually too bad for a visual result, but unfortunately
          the clip syntax would have to be added to about 250 move
          abbreviations...
          ^!Set %Line%=^$strTrim(^$GetLine$)$
          ^!Select Line
          ^%Line%SqTh4

          Perhaps a simpler solution for me is to add a unique character
          (eg, "#") AFTER the dancer abbreviation so that "h" produces "H-#".
          Then I can globally replace all "#<space>" combinations later with
          <nothing>.

          It looks like NoteTab is a really great program for text with all
          this capability.

          Bob Summers

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen"
          <hugopaulissen@s...> wrote:

          > Bob,
          >
          > The autoreplace libraries accept regular clip-syntax, but the
          problem
          > is that it is hard to find out what the real behaviour of the
          > placement of text and cursor should be. You could throw in
          something
          > like ^!Keyboard Backspace #SQTH4#, but this causes problems if you
          > want to type sq4 at the beginning of a new line.
          >
          > This might suit your needs, just try it out...
          >
          > ^!Set %Line%=^$strTrim(^$GetLine$)$
          > ^!Select Line
          > ^%Line%SqTh4
          >
          > Hugo
          >
          > > What I'd really like to do is be able to type "h(space)" or "s
          > (space)
          > > and have "H-" or "S-" appear, BUT WITHOUT THE SPACE being added.
          > > Otherwise I'd get H- SqTh4 when I need H-SqTh4.
          > >
          > > Is there any way to have the auto-replaced string include a
          DELETE
          > > CHARACTER or CURSOR BACKSPACE. I'm not sure how this type of
          > library
          > > can use any Macro commands.
          > >
          > > tx
          > >
          > > Bob Summers
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12, 2004
            Hi Bob,

            I'm not up on my square dancing moves, nor any of the names for them,
            but perhaps the simplest of all clip programming may be of some
            interest to you if AutoCorrect doesn't do what you want.

            Create a new blank clip library (TOOLS/CLIPBOOK/NEW LIBRARY) save it
            with a name called SD-Moves, then close it. You should see SD-Moves
            in the button bar at the bottom then. Click on SD-Moves and in that
            library create a new clip giving it any name you want for a square
            dance move. For the rest of the clip just type in the text you want,
            including any line breaks in the text (you don't need to use any clip
            programming, just plain ol' text in this case).

            To use the clip just double clip on the clip name (or drag and drop
            it to your document) and your text will be inserted where you told it
            to be inserted. For multiple dance moves, just keep dragging and
            dropping (or double clicking) the square dance moves clip names into
            your document.

            For example, you could have a clip named sq4

            And the rest of the clip (starting with the line below the name of
            sq4) would be the plain text of:

            --SqTh4 (active dancers Square Thru 4)

            To use it, just have your cursor where you want it, and double click
            the clip name sq4 and POOF!

            --SqTh4 (active dancers Square Thru 4)

            Will be inserted into your document.

            John

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "summers_bob" <summers_bob@y...>
            wrote:
            > Thanks Hugo
            >
            > The first idea with the backspace works as you predicted. If my
            > trigger letters start on a new line, the "backspace" character
            backs
            > up over the carriage return and my text is added after the text on
            > the line above.
            >
            > Your second solution works regardless of where it is used.
            >
            > Unfortunately I would have liked the "action" to take place WHEN
            the
            > DANCER abbreviation is typed (eg, H for Heads) rather than when the
            > following MOVE abbreviation is typed. However, when using the
            > backspace with the dancer abbreviation H-, the "-" is back over
            > and "replaced" with the <space> that I typed to triggering the
            > AutoReplace in the first place, so the result is "H SqTh4" rather
            > than "H-SqTh4".
            >
            > This is not actually too bad for a visual result, but unfortunately
            > the clip syntax would have to be added to about 250 move
            > abbreviations...
            > ^!Set %Line%=^$strTrim(^$GetLine$)$
            > ^!Select Line
            > ^%Line%SqTh4
            >
            > Perhaps a simpler solution for me is to add a unique character
            > (eg, "#") AFTER the dancer abbreviation so that "h" produces "H-
            #".
            > Then I can globally replace all "#<space>" combinations later with
            > <nothing>.
            >
            > It looks like NoteTab is a really great program for text with all
            > this capability.
            >
            > Bob Summers

          • hugo_paulissen
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 12, 2004
              Hi Bob,

              Actually I tested it with two autoreplace patterns:

              "h"+<space> expands to "H-<space>", so if you type sq4 after that you
              end up with H-SqTh4...

              Hugo

              > backspace with the dancer abbreviation H-, the "-" is back over
              > and "replaced" with the <space> that I typed to triggering the
              > AutoReplace in the first place, so the result is "H SqTh4" rather
              > than "H-SqTh4".

            • summers_bob
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13, 2004
                Hugo,

                It looks like you and NoteTab are giving my brain as good a workout
                as I get from my square dance homework and in moving dancers on the
                floor. It's good to expand my abilities with NoteTab macros and
                clips since I do often convert text to web pages as a retired part-
                time webmaster.

                I tried the simple clip library as you mentionned (in the previous
                post) and it does work as mentionned. However the AutoReplace
                library is still the most helpful, even if I don't get everything
                lined up absolutely perfectly.

                I received an MP3 player/voice recorder for Christmas and I've been
                recording the patter done by experienced callers. My purpose is to
                work it through with my wooden "dancers" on the table later to see
                all the flow. However, it's just too hard to keep pausing the MP3
                player while I move the wooden "dancers". Thus with NoteTab's
                AutoReplace library, my typing can almost keep up with the MP3
                playback without pausing it so I can capture the entire
                patter "relatively" quickly and create a document to print and work
                through later.

                Thanks for your help