Re: Alarm clip please?

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
      Below is a one-two clip combo I wrote a few years ago that does
      basically what you're asking for. But I have to tell you right up
      front there are better alternatives to using NoteTab as a timer (I
      use windates now myself). As always, watch out for yahoo inserted
      line breaks (every clip line should start with a ^)

      John

      The first clip is the basic timer and is named ALARM CLOCK:

      ;=====================================================
      ; THIS CLIP WORKS WHEN STARTED FROM THE UTILTIES LIBRARY.
      ; AFTER STARTING IT, OTHER LIBRARIES CAN
      ; BE SWITCHED TO AND IT STILL RUNS
      ; BUT IF THE CLIPBOOK IS CLOSED, IT STOPS
      ; IT ALSO WILL NOT RUN WHEN LAUNCHED FROM THE CLIPBAR
      ; NOTE THAT THE TIMER STOPS WHILE
      ; OTHER CLIPS ARE RUNNING (LIKE AUTOCORRECT)

      ; CLEAR VARIABLES
      ^!ClearVariable %p_Alarm%
      ^!ClearVariable %p_AlarmMessage%
      ^!ClearVariable %p_AlarmCheckInterval%
      ^!ClearVariable %p_ForcedStop%

      ; INPUT THE TIME FOR THE ALARM
      ^!Set %p_Alarm%=^?[(M="00:00;0;?") Enter the time you wish the alarm
      to trigger (HHMM)=]
      ^!Set %p_AlarmMessage%=^?[Enter the message to display when the alarm
      triggers=]
      ^!Set %x%=^?[Enter in minutes, how often the alarm should be checked
      =.1|_1|2|5|10]
      ; CHANGE THE MINUTES ENTERED ABOVE INTO MILLISECONDS
      ^!Set %p_AlarmCheckInterval%=^$Calc(^%x%*60000)$
      ^!TimerStart ^%p_AlarmCheckInterval%
      ^!TimerPlay Comparator

      ;=====================================================

      The next clip is called by the above one and must be in the same
      library.
      This clip when saved must be named _Comparator
      ;=====================================================

      ^!If "^%p_Alarm%" >= "^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss)$" End ELSE Ring

      :Ring
      ^!TimerStop
      ^!Set %x%=^$GetSoundPath$
      ^!Sound ^%x%moan1.wav

      ^!Info ^%p_AlarmMessage%^P^P^PThe alarm was set for: ^%p_Alarm%^PThe
      Alarm Timer has been stopped at: ^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss)$

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "chrispyewoodcarving"
      <chrispyewoodcarving@y...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I'm sure this is the sort of clip some of you guys can do in your
      > sleep but is beyond my meagre experience and i need it straight
      away.
      > I have to do some back exercises at set times and I keep forgetting
      > while I'm working away at the pc.
      >
      > I need a sort of alarm clip that pops a message up on the VDU
      screen
      > and plays a sound every so often - say at half hourly intervals -
      > until I stop it.
      > Ideally, I'd like a little admin box from which I could set the
      > message, the sound and the time interval, and then activate.
      >
      > Can anyone spare the time to put something together?
      > I'd really appreciate it.
      > Thanks
      > Chris
    • chrispyewoodcarving
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
        Mark - thanks: it never occurred to me there would be programmes... I
        didn't want anything so glamorous. I use Notetab a lot and a simple
        clip therein seemed a neat solution. I'll check them out.
        I appreciate you taking the time.
        Chris

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Mark B." <breaumark@y...> wrote:
        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "chrispyewoodcarving"
        > <chrispyewoodcarving@y...> wrote:
        >
        > > I need a sort of alarm clip that pops a message up on the VDU
        screen
        > > and plays a sound every so often - say at half hourly intervals -
        >
        > The Typing Injury FAQ lists several such programs:
        > http://www.tifaq.com/software/shareware.html
        >
        > There's also the free Break Reminder:
        > http://www.cheqsoft.com/break.html
        >
        > Do any of these ready-made programs fit your purpose?
      • chrispyewoodcarving
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
          Thanks John - I'll keep a copy of this. You may have noticed Mark
          suggesting other ways than clips too, so perhaps that is the way
          forward as you imply too.
          Still I'll give it a whirl, if only because it's magic to me that
          this clever-looking but seeming gobbledigook can make things happen -
          love it!
          Thanks for offering the clip.
          Chris

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...>