Alarm clip please?

  • chrispyewoodcarving
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hello everyone,

      I'm sure this is the sort of clip some of you guys can do in your
      sleep but is beyond my meagre experience and i need it straight away.
      I have to do some back exercises at set times and I keep forgetting
      while I'm working away at the pc.

      I need a sort of alarm clip that pops a message up on the VDU screen
      and plays a sound every so often - say at half hourly intervals -
      until I stop it.
      Ideally, I'd like a little admin box from which I could set the
      message, the sound and the time interval, and then activate.

      Can anyone spare the time to put something together?
      I'd really appreciate it.
      Thanks
      Chris
    • Mark B.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "chrispyewoodcarving"
        <chrispyewoodcarving@y...> wrote:

        > I need a sort of alarm clip that pops a message up on the VDU screen
        > and plays a sound every so often - say at half hourly intervals -

        The Typing Injury FAQ lists several such programs:
        http://www.tifaq.com/software/shareware.html

        There's also the free Break Reminder:
        http://www.cheqsoft.com/break.html

        Do any of these ready-made programs fit your purpose?
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
          Below is a one-two clip combo I wrote a few years ago that does
          basically what you're asking for. But I have to tell you right up
          front there are better alternatives to using NoteTab as a timer (I
          use windates now myself). As always, watch out for yahoo inserted
          line breaks (every clip line should start with a ^)

          John

          The first clip is the basic timer and is named ALARM CLOCK:

          ;=====================================================
          ; THIS CLIP WORKS WHEN STARTED FROM THE UTILTIES LIBRARY.
          ; AFTER STARTING IT, OTHER LIBRARIES CAN
          ; BE SWITCHED TO AND IT STILL RUNS
          ; BUT IF THE CLIPBOOK IS CLOSED, IT STOPS
          ; IT ALSO WILL NOT RUN WHEN LAUNCHED FROM THE CLIPBAR
          ; NOTE THAT THE TIMER STOPS WHILE
          ; OTHER CLIPS ARE RUNNING (LIKE AUTOCORRECT)

          ; CLEAR VARIABLES
          ^!ClearVariable %p_Alarm%
          ^!ClearVariable %p_AlarmMessage%
          ^!ClearVariable %p_AlarmCheckInterval%
          ^!ClearVariable %p_ForcedStop%

          ; INPUT THE TIME FOR THE ALARM
          ^!Set %p_Alarm%=^?[(M="00:00;0;?") Enter the time you wish the alarm
          to trigger (HHMM)=]
          ^!Set %p_AlarmMessage%=^?[Enter the message to display when the alarm
          triggers=]
          ^!Set %x%=^?[Enter in minutes, how often the alarm should be checked
          =.1|_1|2|5|10]
          ; CHANGE THE MINUTES ENTERED ABOVE INTO MILLISECONDS
          ^!Set %p_AlarmCheckInterval%=^$Calc(^%x%*60000)$
          ^!TimerStart ^%p_AlarmCheckInterval%
          ^!TimerPlay Comparator

          ;=====================================================

          The next clip is called by the above one and must be in the same
          library.
          This clip when saved must be named _Comparator
          ;=====================================================

          ^!If "^%p_Alarm%" >= "^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss)$" End ELSE Ring

          :Ring
          ^!TimerStop
          ^!Set %x%=^$GetSoundPath$
          ^!Sound ^%x%moan1.wav

          ^!Info ^%p_AlarmMessage%^P^P^PThe alarm was set for: ^%p_Alarm%^PThe
          Alarm Timer has been stopped at: ^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss)$

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "chrispyewoodcarving"
          <chrispyewoodcarving@y...> wrote:
          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I'm sure this is the sort of clip some of you guys can do in your
          > sleep but is beyond my meagre experience and i need it straight
          away.
          > I have to do some back exercises at set times and I keep forgetting
          > while I'm working away at the pc.
          >
          > I need a sort of alarm clip that pops a message up on the VDU
          screen
          > and plays a sound every so often - say at half hourly intervals -
          > until I stop it.
          > Ideally, I'd like a little admin box from which I could set the
          > message, the sound and the time interval, and then activate.
          >
          > Can anyone spare the time to put something together?
          > I'd really appreciate it.
          > Thanks
          > Chris
        • chrispyewoodcarving
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
            Mark - thanks: it never occurred to me there would be programmes... I
            didn't want anything so glamorous. I use Notetab a lot and a simple
            clip therein seemed a neat solution. I'll check them out.
            I appreciate you taking the time.
            Chris

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
              Thanks John - I'll keep a copy of this. You may have noticed Mark
              suggesting other ways than clips too, so perhaps that is the way
              forward as you imply too.
              Still I'll give it a whirl, if only because it's magic to me that
              this clever-looking but seeming gobbledigook can make things happen -
              love it!
              Thanks for offering the clip.
              Chris

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...>