Masking text.

  • Kevin Witherite
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
      Hi all,

      Is there a setting for masking text, such as the masking that occurs when
      entering a password? Example: ********

      When i encrypt/decrypt files i would like the "key" to be masked.

      Thanks,
      Kevin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
        Hi Kevin,

        Go to Help | Help on Clipbook programming | Search | Mask | List
        Topics and click on the first item:

        Masked Input Fields

        >Is there a setting for masking text, such as the masking that occurs when
        >entering a password? Example: ********
        >
        >When i encrypt/decrypt files i would like the "key" to be masked.
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
          Hi Jody,

          At 09:53 AM 1/9/04 -0600, you wrote:
          >Hi Kevin,
          >
          >Go to Help | Help on Clipbook programming | Search | Mask | List
          >Topics and click on the first item:
          >
          >Masked Input Fields
          >
          >>Is there a setting for masking text, such as the masking that occurs when
          >>entering a password? Example: ********
          >>
          >>When i encrypt/decrypt files i would like the "key" to be masked.

          I am not too sure but I think that you missed the point of masking so far
          as NoteTab is concerned. I might be missing something but I read the help
          file and the section on masking and it seems that the purpose of masking so
          far as NoteTab is concerned is to restrict the type of imput that a wizard
          will accept when you are running a masked wizard in a clip. It has nothing
          at all to do with hiding your entries by replacing them with asterisks. I
          do not know if you could write a special clip to do this but the masked
          wizard will only do things such as limit the entry in the imput window to
          things such as all numbers, or only upper case or lower case, or only a
          certain number of characters.

          I also looked at ^!Filescramble and ^$StrDecrypt$ and ^$StrEncrypt$ and I
          did not see anything that supports the hiding of imput characters.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2004
            By coincidence I had written a short clip for myself just a couple
            days ago that used a mask so my feeble brain cells are still somewhat
            refreshed on the subject.

            You can use a mask for pretty much anything you want with clip
            wizards including hiding your password while it's being typed into a
            box. Below is the clip I wrote to put text in a set width format,
            the masks were used to limit the input to only numbers not exceeding
            three digits in width, but I could have used the mask in other ways
            as well. For example, to mask the typing of three characters while
            accepting any of the keyboard keys I could just change 999 in the
            clip below to ccc

            John

            String Format
            ; THIS CLIP FORMATS TEXT TO A SET WIDTH
            ; LAST MODIFIED: THURSDAY, JANUARY 8, 2004

            ^!Set %left%=^?[(S=3;M="999;0;?") Enter left margin =010]
            ^!Set %right%=^?[(S=3;M="999;0;?") Enter width of text =080]
            ^!Set %justify%=^?[(T=L;H=5) Justify Text?=_No^=0|Yes^=1]
            ^!Set %all%=^?[(T=L;H=5) =_All Text in Document^=0|Selected Text
            Only^=1]
            ^!If "^%all%" = "0" ^!Select All

            ^!InsertText ^$StrFormat("^$GetSelection$";^%left%;^%right%;^%
            justify%)$

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

            > I am not too sure but I think that you missed the point of masking
            so far
            > as NoteTab is concerned. I might be missing something but I read
            the help
            > file and the section on masking and it seems that the purpose of
            masking so
            > far as NoteTab is concerned is to restrict the type of imput that a
            wizard
            > will accept when you are running a masked wizard in a clip. It has
            nothing
            > at all to do with hiding your entries by replacing them with
            asterisks. I
            > do not know if you could write a special clip to do this but the
            masked
            > wizard will only do things such as limit the entry in the imput
            window to
            > things such as all numbers, or only upper case or lower case, or
            only a
            > certain number of characters.
            >
            > I also looked at ^!Filescramble and ^$StrDecrypt$ and ^$StrEncrypt$
            and I
            > did not see anything that supports the hiding of imput characters.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Larry
            > lrt@n... e¿ê
          • Kevin Witherite
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
              Hi Larry,

              That's the interpretation I got on NoteTab's masking abilities. Maybe I
              should have opted for hiding text rather than masking text in my original
              email on this subject. Sorry for any confusion. I will check the web and
              see what I come up with.

              Thanks all,

              Kevin

              >>Is there a setting for masking text, such as the masking that occurs when
              >>entering a password? Example: ********
              >>
              >>When i encrypt/decrypt files i would like the "key" to be masked.

              I am not too sure but I think that you missed the point of masking so far
              as NoteTab is concerned. I might be missing something but I read the help
              file and the section on masking and it seems that the purpose of masking so
              far as NoteTab is concerned is to restrict the type of imput that a wizard
              will accept when you are running a masked wizard in a clip. It has nothing
              at all to do with hiding your entries by replacing them with asterisks. I
              do not know if you could write a special clip to do this but the masked
              wizard will only do things such as limit the entry in the imput window to
              things such as all numbers, or only upper case or lower case, or only a
              certain number of characters.

              I also looked at ^!Filescramble and ^$StrDecrypt$ and ^$StrEncrypt$ and I
              did not see anything that supports the hiding of imput characters.

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê
            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
                In html you can hide it with Javascript.
                --

                ~~~
                Jeff Scism, IBSSG

                http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
                http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
                http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
                http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/

                All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

                Genealogy, the science of haunting the dead.
              • Wright, John - Textron Financial
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 13, 2005
                  Kevin,

                  Did you ever find out how to mask an input field?

                  John

                  Is there a setting for masking text, such as the masking that occurs when
                  entering a password? Example: ********

                  When i encrypt/decrypt files i would like the "key" to be masked.

                  Thanks,
                  Kevin

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to: