Re: [Clip] Path to Fonts

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
      On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:29:57 -0500, Julie wrote:
      [ . . ]
      >�"There is no group called ntb-ClipClass." I thought maybe there was a typo
      >�but I tried again by loading by Fookes Groups at one time and got the same
      >�message.

      Well it was inactive with 400 some members for a long long time in my listing. Now that you called my attention to it, it is gone from my listing. It was there though at one time; really.

      That turns it up. But a click on the link for the group then subsequently reports "there is no ntb-clipclass group"

      Could it be a Yahoo maintenance thing ie that it be back and available after a while?

      >�So I guess these questions are allowed on this list?

      Well, (as you know) I'm not the moderator. I only reported on past tradition. Personally, it'd be fine with me to do so. Only seems (traditionally speaking) to come into question when or if happen lots repeated posts to do with clipclass then I keep in mind the bandwith issue that many members on this clips list pay per each minute of download time, the time that is spent retrieving their email. And that this list seems not limited to but nonetheless primarily for clip writers with near intermediate-advanced skills. Advanced can this list but also suggested to use ntb-scripts list for that. Ocasional and/or moderate percentage of beginner questions here on ntb-clips seem to happen, traditionally speaking.

      H="sig_tag_line_clip"
      ^!After "my_1_1/2_cents" "sig_n_close"
      :sig_n_close
      --
      Alan.
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
        Hi Julie,

        At 06:29 PM 1/7/04 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi Alan,
        >
        >>If this is clipclass then the moderator traditionally has requests(ed) to
        >>post to that list instead of this one since others may have same/similar
        >>question. Also
        >>
        >>http://www.notetab.net/html/maillist.htm
        >
        >Reference
        >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-ClipClass/
        >
        >"There is no group called ntb-ClipClass." I thought maybe there was a typo
        >but I tried again by loading by Fookes Groups at one time and got the same
        >message.
        >
        >So I guess these questions are allowed on this list?
        >
        >I have no clue what happened to the list as I wasn't a moderator there, but
        >I do have all the posts in an OTL format :-).
        >
        >Julie

        I believe that Jody was pretty much doing this list himself and it was
        getting more than he could keep up with and do the other things he has to
        do right now. Any way I am listing part of a post by Jody on this subject.

        Date: 2004/01/04 10:32 PM
        Subject: Re: [NTB] Re: New baby here, need some help, please
        From: Jody <kjv-av1611@...>
        To: notetab@yahoogroups.com

        Hi Larry & Dan!

        >>Material Snipped>>

        Thanks Larry! I will rename this some day since I do not have the
        time to support the lesson tests, etc. at the end of lessons and
        give help with it. It seems to be written well enough now though
        so that one can go all the way through without having to ask
        questions thanks to Alan C. and about the first 10 people through
        it. I was able to rewrite/clarify the places that needed it. Alan
        C. was a great help in proof reading the lessons before I sent
        them out originally.

        >>Material Snipped>>

        You can also sign up for the NoteTab Clips List to get answers to
        Clip questions, but please do not post there concerning the class,
        rather the Clip Class List mentioned above. NoteTab Clips Subscribe
        & Edit Options:

        END OF JANUARY 4TH EMAIL MESSAGE:
        =================================

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
          Hi Ed,

          At 07:32 AM 1/7/04 -0600, you wrote:

          >I have no problem until I get to step 9. How do I launch Notepad and what in
          >tarnation is a "focused temporary document." The word focused is throwing
          >me.

          The word focused is one that confuses lots of people from time to time. It
          simply means the place where your keyboard entries will end up when you typ
          on the keys. If you have several programs displayed on your desktop in
          normal windows so you can see one program sticking out behind another, then
          the program that is in front of them all has the focus. Say you have
          NoteTab open and Explorer open in front, then Explorer has the focus and if
          you type on the keyboad, any keys that Explorer can react to will cause
          Explorer to react and nothing will happen to NoteTab until you switch it to
          the front - ie switch focus to it.

          By the same process when NoteTab in focus, various parts of NoteTab's
          working envrionment can have the focus besides the document. You can
          switch focus from document to document by clicking on the document tab you
          want to switch to. You can also switch the focus from the document to the
          clip library panel by clicking on it once to select a clip and then again
          to switch the focus to the panel itself. After that, most keystrokes will
          be passed to the panel rather than typing in the document. To return focus
          to the document, you click your mouse pointer anyplace on the document.
          You can also switch focus to the quick list panel in a similar fasion. It
          is possible to move the focus around NoteTab's various areas using
          shortcuts keys that are listed in the Help file and you can use clip
          commands to switch the focus around also. Some clip commands are not
          specifically set to switch focus but they do it anyway as a default do to
          the function that they carry out. Example: ^!InsertText, ^!Open, and
          ^!SetDocIndex. Other commands are designed only for the purpose of moving
          the focus. Example: ^!Focusdoc and ^!SetFocus which do nothing else but
          change the focus to a targeted location.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
            Hi Alan,

            re:clipclass

            >Could it be a Yahoo maintenance thing ie that it be back and available
            >after a while?

            I don't think so with the message I got. At least it's archived for folks
            for future use :-).

            Julie
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
              Hi Larry & Others,

              Sorry for the confusion. I delete the ntb-clipclass group just
              the other day when doing some list maintenance. It was just
              causing me to get more spam and not used anymore. So, delete all
              your references to it as you come across them, please.

              I prefer that this list not be used to ask questions concerning
              the lessons still. I think it is best that way not to bother list
              members about it. If you have questions about commands or
              functions in particular that happen to be mentioned in it, first
              read Help | Help on Clipbook Programming and if you still don't
              understand, by all means, ask the list about it. You can write me
              directly if you have a question about something in the lessons,
              but not on the assignments since I don't have the time to get
              into all that, nor do I remember the assignments themselves. I
              wrote it a few years back. I should/will go in someday when I
              have the time to add notes that it is a self-help type tutorial
              in appropriate places and do what modifications I think best so
              that you all don't get bothered with it, hopefully. :)

              >>> If this is clipclass then the moderator traditionally has
              >>> requests(ed) to post to that list instead of this one since
              >>> others may have same/similar question. Also
              >>>
              >>>http://www.notetab.net/html/maillist.htm
              >>
              >>Reference
              >>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-ClipClass/

            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                  So altho I did get a subscription off, it is not working. Sorry, but I will post some questions to the ntb-clips list when I do not understand anything. I did research but too much has been left without the examples that I need. Focus I now understand, thanks everyone.

                  There was an example on how to do the first 8 parts but the last 3 did not have an example. Since this is a beginners class examples for some of us are needed. Had the lesson 1 clip been completely written out using the parts that the author intended so we could see what it would do and what parts made it work and the beginner could play with it until he felt comfortable enough to write a similar clip. Thanks again everyone. I wil be back. I am starting lesson 2.
                  Ed

                • Alan C.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                    On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:47:15 -0600, Ed Brown wrote:
                    [ . . ]
                    >�There was an example on how to do the first 8 parts but the last 3 did not have an example. �Since this is a beginners class examples for some of us are needed. Had the lesson 1 clip been completely written out using the parts that the author intended �so we could see what it would do and what parts made it work and the beginner could play with it until he felt comfortable enough to write a similar clip. Thanks again everyone. �I wil be back. �I am starting lesson 2.
                    >�Ed

                    When the clipclass and the clipclass mailing list were first drafted up (has it been upwards of two years now since that?) the solutions were posted to the clipclass email list.

                    But I see that list is no longer.

                    I'm wonder if those same posted solutions were part of the overall that somehow added some completion that otherwise missed.

                    I cannot remember if originally there were examples all the way through each lesson. But somehow it does seem that part of the idea back then might have been to attempt to have for beginners enough to go on but to also leave it a teency that s t r e t c h be needed.

                    Your input is valued. I just only sharing some of what happened as well as attempting to recall some more of what went on.

                    Before the teacher's solutions would come out, some of us who were active at the time would post/share our attempts.

                    But I cannot remember about the s t r e t c h idea. Perhaps originally there were more examples. I haven't looked at clipclass for a long time. But it is what gave me the base/foundation from which to write any clip that is possible to write.

                    --
                    Alan.
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                      >When the clipclass and the clipclass mailing list were first drafted up
                      (has it been upwards of two years now since that?) the solutions were posted
                      to the clipclass email list.

                      >But I see that list is no longer.

                      >I'm wonder if those same posted solutions were part of the overall that
                      somehow added some completion that otherwise missed.

                      >I cannot remember if originally there were examples all the way through
                      each lesson. But somehow it does seem that part of the idea back then might
                      have been to attempt to have for beginners enough to go on but to also leave
                      it a teency that s t r e t c h be needed.

                      >Your input is valued. I just only sharing some of what happened as well as
                      attempting to recall some more of what went on.

                      >Before the teacher's solutions would come out, some of us who were active
                      at the time would post/share our attempts.

                      >But I cannot remember about the s t r e t c h idea. Perhaps originally
                      there were more examples. I haven't looked at clipclass for a long time.
                      But it is what gave me the base/foundation from which to write any clip that
                      is possible to write.

                      Alan,
                      I found part of what I wanted to know in Lesson 2. There it was more fully
                      explained. When I was an instructor we would break the lesson (clip in this
                      case) into each part, explain what the function each part was, then we began
                      to assemble the parts and until the student was familiar with them. This
                      until in this case the clip was finished and working. Then we gave a
                      similiar example and asked the student to assemble a new clip for that
                      example and explain what each part did. Then when everyone understood that
                      we went into lesson 2. But there are more ways than one to accomplish the
                      same result. As I begin to understand how the instructor or author of this
                      class thinks, then I will understand better what he is trying teaching me.
                      Thanks for your reply,
                      Ed

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      To visit your group on the web, go to: