Re: [Clip] Path to Fonts

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
      Hi Alan,

      >If this is clipclass then the moderator traditionally has requests(ed) to
      >post to that list instead of this one since others may have same/similar
      >question. Also
      >
      >http://www.notetab.net/html/maillist.htm

      Reference
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-ClipClass/

      "There is no group called ntb-ClipClass." I thought maybe there was a typo
      but I tried again by loading by Fookes Groups at one time and got the same
      message.

      So I guess these questions are allowed on this list?

      I have no clue what happened to the list as I wasn't a moderator there, but
      I do have all the posts in an OTL format :-).

      Julie

    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
        On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:29:57 -0500, Julie wrote:
        [ . . ]
        >�"There is no group called ntb-ClipClass." I thought maybe there was a typo
        >�but I tried again by loading by Fookes Groups at one time and got the same
        >�message.

        Well it was inactive with 400 some members for a long long time in my listing. Now that you called my attention to it, it is gone from my listing. It was there though at one time; really.

        That turns it up. But a click on the link for the group then subsequently reports "there is no ntb-clipclass group"

        Could it be a Yahoo maintenance thing ie that it be back and available after a while?

        >�So I guess these questions are allowed on this list?

        Well, (as you know) I'm not the moderator. I only reported on past tradition. Personally, it'd be fine with me to do so. Only seems (traditionally speaking) to come into question when or if happen lots repeated posts to do with clipclass then I keep in mind the bandwith issue that many members on this clips list pay per each minute of download time, the time that is spent retrieving their email. And that this list seems not limited to but nonetheless primarily for clip writers with near intermediate-advanced skills. Advanced can this list but also suggested to use ntb-scripts list for that. Ocasional and/or moderate percentage of beginner questions here on ntb-clips seem to happen, traditionally speaking.

        H="sig_tag_line_clip"
        ^!After "my_1_1/2_cents" "sig_n_close"
        :sig_n_close
        --
        Alan.
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
          Hi Julie,

          At 06:29 PM 1/7/04 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Alan,
          >
          >>If this is clipclass then the moderator traditionally has requests(ed) to
          >>post to that list instead of this one since others may have same/similar
          >>question. Also
          >>
          >>http://www.notetab.net/html/maillist.htm
          >
          >Reference
          >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-ClipClass/
          >
          >"There is no group called ntb-ClipClass." I thought maybe there was a typo
          >but I tried again by loading by Fookes Groups at one time and got the same
          >message.
          >
          >So I guess these questions are allowed on this list?
          >
          >I have no clue what happened to the list as I wasn't a moderator there, but
          >I do have all the posts in an OTL format :-).
          >
          >Julie

          I believe that Jody was pretty much doing this list himself and it was
          getting more than he could keep up with and do the other things he has to
          do right now. Any way I am listing part of a post by Jody on this subject.

          Date: 2004/01/04 10:32 PM
          Subject: Re: [NTB] Re: New baby here, need some help, please
          From: Jody <kjv-av1611@...>
          To: notetab@yahoogroups.com

          Hi Larry & Dan!

          >>Material Snipped>>

          Thanks Larry! I will rename this some day since I do not have the
          time to support the lesson tests, etc. at the end of lessons and
          give help with it. It seems to be written well enough now though
          so that one can go all the way through without having to ask
          questions thanks to Alan C. and about the first 10 people through
          it. I was able to rewrite/clarify the places that needed it. Alan
          C. was a great help in proof reading the lessons before I sent
          them out originally.

          >>Material Snipped>>

          You can also sign up for the NoteTab Clips List to get answers to
          Clip questions, but please do not post there concerning the class,
          rather the Clip Class List mentioned above. NoteTab Clips Subscribe
          & Edit Options:

          END OF JANUARY 4TH EMAIL MESSAGE:
          =================================

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
            Hi Ed,

            At 07:32 AM 1/7/04 -0600, you wrote:

            >I have no problem until I get to step 9. How do I launch Notepad and what in
            >tarnation is a "focused temporary document." The word focused is throwing
            >me.

            The word focused is one that confuses lots of people from time to time. It
            simply means the place where your keyboard entries will end up when you typ
            on the keys. If you have several programs displayed on your desktop in
            normal windows so you can see one program sticking out behind another, then
            the program that is in front of them all has the focus. Say you have
            NoteTab open and Explorer open in front, then Explorer has the focus and if
            you type on the keyboad, any keys that Explorer can react to will cause
            Explorer to react and nothing will happen to NoteTab until you switch it to
            the front - ie switch focus to it.

            By the same process when NoteTab in focus, various parts of NoteTab's
            working envrionment can have the focus besides the document. You can
            switch focus from document to document by clicking on the document tab you
            want to switch to. You can also switch the focus from the document to the
            clip library panel by clicking on it once to select a clip and then again
            to switch the focus to the panel itself. After that, most keystrokes will
            be passed to the panel rather than typing in the document. To return focus
            to the document, you click your mouse pointer anyplace on the document.
            You can also switch focus to the quick list panel in a similar fasion. It
            is possible to move the focus around NoteTab's various areas using
            shortcuts keys that are listed in the Help file and you can use clip
            commands to switch the focus around also. Some clip commands are not
            specifically set to switch focus but they do it anyway as a default do to
            the function that they carry out. Example: ^!InsertText, ^!Open, and
            ^!SetDocIndex. Other commands are designed only for the purpose of moving
            the focus. Example: ^!Focusdoc and ^!SetFocus which do nothing else but
            change the focus to a targeted location.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
              Hi Alan,

              re:clipclass

              >Could it be a Yahoo maintenance thing ie that it be back and available
              >after a while?

              I don't think so with the message I got. At least it's archived for folks
              for future use :-).

              Julie
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                Hi Larry & Others,

                Sorry for the confusion. I delete the ntb-clipclass group just
                the other day when doing some list maintenance. It was just
                causing me to get more spam and not used anymore. So, delete all
                your references to it as you come across them, please.

                I prefer that this list not be used to ask questions concerning
                the lessons still. I think it is best that way not to bother list
                members about it. If you have questions about commands or
                functions in particular that happen to be mentioned in it, first
                read Help | Help on Clipbook Programming and if you still don't
                understand, by all means, ask the list about it. You can write me
                directly if you have a question about something in the lessons,
                but not on the assignments since I don't have the time to get
                into all that, nor do I remember the assignments themselves. I
                wrote it a few years back. I should/will go in someday when I
                have the time to add notes that it is a self-help type tutorial
                in appropriate places and do what modifications I think best so
                that you all don't get bothered with it, hopefully. :)

                >>> If this is clipclass then the moderator traditionally has
                >>> requests(ed) to post to that list instead of this one since
                >>> others may have same/similar question. Also
                >>>
                >>>http://www.notetab.net/html/maillist.htm
                >>
                >>Reference
                >>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-ClipClass/

              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                    So altho I did get a subscription off, it is not working. Sorry, but I will post some questions to the ntb-clips list when I do not understand anything. I did research but too much has been left without the examples that I need. Focus I now understand, thanks everyone.

                    There was an example on how to do the first 8 parts but the last 3 did not have an example. Since this is a beginners class examples for some of us are needed. Had the lesson 1 clip been completely written out using the parts that the author intended so we could see what it would do and what parts made it work and the beginner could play with it until he felt comfortable enough to write a similar clip. Thanks again everyone. I wil be back. I am starting lesson 2.
                    Ed

                  • Alan C.
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                      On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:47:15 -0600, Ed Brown wrote:
                      [ . . ]
                      >�There was an example on how to do the first 8 parts but the last 3 did not have an example. �Since this is a beginners class examples for some of us are needed. Had the lesson 1 clip been completely written out using the parts that the author intended �so we could see what it would do and what parts made it work and the beginner could play with it until he felt comfortable enough to write a similar clip. Thanks again everyone. �I wil be back. �I am starting lesson 2.
                      >�Ed

                      When the clipclass and the clipclass mailing list were first drafted up (has it been upwards of two years now since that?) the solutions were posted to the clipclass email list.

                      But I see that list is no longer.

                      I'm wonder if those same posted solutions were part of the overall that somehow added some completion that otherwise missed.

                      I cannot remember if originally there were examples all the way through each lesson. But somehow it does seem that part of the idea back then might have been to attempt to have for beginners enough to go on but to also leave it a teency that s t r e t c h be needed.

                      Your input is valued. I just only sharing some of what happened as well as attempting to recall some more of what went on.

                      Before the teacher's solutions would come out, some of us who were active at the time would post/share our attempts.

                      But I cannot remember about the s t r e t c h idea. Perhaps originally there were more examples. I haven't looked at clipclass for a long time. But it is what gave me the base/foundation from which to write any clip that is possible to write.

                      --
                      Alan.
                    • Ed Brown
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                        >When the clipclass and the clipclass mailing list were first drafted up
                        (has it been upwards of two years now since that?) the solutions were posted
                        to the clipclass email list.

                        >But I see that list is no longer.

                        >I'm wonder if those same posted solutions were part of the overall that
                        somehow added some completion that otherwise missed.

                        >I cannot remember if originally there were examples all the way through
                        each lesson. But somehow it does seem that part of the idea back then might
                        have been to attempt to have for beginners enough to go on but to also leave
                        it a teency that s t r e t c h be needed.

                        >Your input is valued. I just only sharing some of what happened as well as
                        attempting to recall some more of what went on.

                        >Before the teacher's solutions would come out, some of us who were active
                        at the time would post/share our attempts.

                        >But I cannot remember about the s t r e t c h idea. Perhaps originally
                        there were more examples. I haven't looked at clipclass for a long time.
                        But it is what gave me the base/foundation from which to write any clip that
                        is possible to write.

                        Alan,
                        I found part of what I wanted to know in Lesson 2. There it was more fully
                        explained. When I was an instructor we would break the lesson (clip in this
                        case) into each part, explain what the function each part was, then we began
                        to assemble the parts and until the student was familiar with them. This
                        until in this case the clip was finished and working. Then we gave a
                        similiar example and asked the student to assemble a new clip for that
                        example and explain what each part did. Then when everyone understood that
                        we went into lesson 2. But there are more ways than one to accomplish the
                        same result. As I begin to understand how the instructor or author of this
                        class thinks, then I will understand better what he is trying teaching me.
                        Thanks for your reply,
                        Ed

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        To visit your group on the web, go to: