SV: SV: [Clip] A problem with SetDocIndex

  • Magnus H. Sorby
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
      Thanks Sheri.

      I'm really sorry to have bothered you all with this! The importance of
      removing leading and trailing spaces was pointed out by Larry the day after
      I first posted my problem. I was absolutely sure that I had checked it and
      also used "Trim Blanks". I obviously hadn't.

      Regards,
      Magnus
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
        Hi Sheri and Magnus,

        >> Well then, I guess the problem is in my computer. I will work
        >> around the problem by replacing ^%newindex% with the proper
        >> number.
        >
        >Whoa! Hold on there <g>

        Good find Sheri, (even though you sent my eMail to your trash box
        awhile back.) <g>

        Definitely agreed; I just said it worked fine here. <g> Magnus,
        You must have missed one of the first few posts mentioning for
        you to check for spaces at the end of the lines. The reason why a
        lot of us miss that in actual testing is because we have the
        setting in Options | Documents | Trim White Spaces checked. It
        does the following:

        Trim White Spaces: Spaces at the end of paragraphs are removed
        when the document is saved.

        So, when we get Clips or make them, every time they are saved,
        the trailing white spaces (just a regular <space>) at the end of
        the lines are removed. The only time that will cause you a
        problem with Clips is if you really want a space at the end. All
        you need to remember then is if you want the space (or more)
        there you add the preset variable ^%Space%, one for every space
        you want. (The setting also effects regular document line endings.)

        FWIW, you could have just posted your Clip on the list. :)
        Somebody might have spotted it sooner like that probably saving
        you a lot of headaches. The data wasn't really necessary to start
        with, that is, to just take a quick look at the Clip. Later
        somebody might have requested you send a few lines of the data
        file to the list. Anyway, your Clip will run a lot faster if you
        add the couple lines to the top like I mentioned. Good luck!

        >It does not work here.
        >
        >The problem you have with ^!SetDocIndex is on line 13 of your clip:
        >
        >^!Set %newindex%=^$GetDocIndex$
        >
        >There is a space after ^$GetDocIndex$

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
          At 02:49 PM 1/5/2004 +0100, you wrote:
          >Thanks Sheri.
          >
          >I'm really sorry to have bothered you all with this! The importance of
          >removing leading and trailing spaces was pointed out by Larry the day after
          >I first posted my problem. I was absolutely sure that I had checked it and
          >also used "Trim Blanks". I obviously hadn't.
          >
          >Regards,
          >Magnus

          Hi Mangus,

          We've all been there, so don't let it trouble you. One of the advantages of NoteTab Pro over the other variants is the ability to turn "on" non-printing spaces, which in most cases makes things like that stand out. You can enable it on the View tab in Options (Show Nonprinting Text).

          I will make a couple of suggestions about your clip. Since the only reason you are bouncing back and forth between documents is to add text from variables, I think it would be faster and more efficient to use ^!AppendtoFile. Whatever file name you choose, you could Close that file and delete it (if it exists) at the beginning of your clip, and Open it for viewing at the end of your clip. Also, you will find that there are clip instructions that will allow you to move the cursor anywhere you want it in your document without using ^!Keyboard commands. Although the ^!Keyboard commands may seem convenient, they are subject to focus and timing issues that can sometimes cause unexpected results.

          Have fun,
          Sheri
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
            Hi Jody,

            At 08:01 AM 1/5/2004 -0600, you wrote:

            >Good find Sheri, (even though you sent my eMail to your trash box
            >awhile back.) <g>

            I'm innocent, my computer did it all by itself. <BG>

            >So, when we get Clips or make them, every time they are saved,
            >the trailing white spaces (just a regular <space>) at the end of
            >the lines are removed. The only time that will cause you a
            >problem with Clips is if you really want a space at the end. All
            >you need to remember then is if you want the space (or more)
            >there you add the preset variable ^%Space%, one for every space
            >you want. (The setting also effects regular document line endings.)

            I have just recently installed NTP on XP, and had not changed the default setting so trailing blanks were not being trimmed.

            However, having now enabled it (in NTP 4.95), and after deleting and reloading Mangus's clip library a few times, I think trimming blanks must apply only to documents and not to clip libraries (unless you happen to open the clip library as if it were a document, re-save it and reload it). I made another change to his library (in Clip Edit), saved the clip, closed and reopened NTP, and the space was still there.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
              Hi Sheri,

              >>Good find Sheri, (even though you sent my eMail to your trash box
              >>awhile back.) <g>
              >
              >I'm innocent, my computer did it all by itself. <BG>

              Yeah, I've heard that one before...

              >I have just recently installed NTP on XP, and had not changed the
              >default setting so trailing blanks were not being trimmed.
              >
              >However, having now enabled it (in NTP 4.95), and after deleting
              >and reloading Mangus's clip library a few times, I think trimming
              >blanks must apply only to documents and not to clip libraries
              >(unless you happen to open the clip library as if it were a
              >document, re-save it and reload it). I made another change to his
              >library (in Clip Edit), saved the clip, closed and reopened NTP,
              >and the space was still there.

              It appears to be broke in the Clip Editor... Maybe it has been
              like that for a long time. I downloaded the zip, double clicked
              on in zip prog since clb is associated with NoteTab, saved to
              Library, :), and did a List Update to get it on my Libraries bar.
              Obviously, it was when I had it open as a document and saved it
              that the space was removed. I do know for sure though (at least I
              think I do;) that they use to be trimmed in the Clip Editor - not
              visible at the time though. Switch in/out of the Library and it
              will trim it, at least it just did here.

              See ya in the funnies,
              Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

              http://www.clean-funnies.com
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
                Hi Jody,

                At 09:33 AM 1/5/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                >Switch in/out of the Library and it
                >will trim it, at least it just did here.

                Any idea how you did it? I'm assuming you mean you did it without loading and saving it as if it was a document first (as happened when you initially loaded the clb file from the zip and re-saved it).

                I tried, but wasn't able to make that happen here. After making a change to his library, I switched libraries and was prompted "Save Changes to Clipbook Library SetDocIndex?"

                Clicked Yes. Switched back to his library and the space was still there. Just to make sure it wasn't because the library was resident, I then closed and reopened NTP. It was still there.

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
                  Hi Sheri,

                  Are you double sure you have Document | Trim White Spaces checked?

                  Here's another way. Open Clip Editor. Add a space to the end of a
                  line. Save, click on another Clip and then back on the original.
                  Space removed with Clip Editor still open.

                  >> Switch in/out of the Library and it will trim it, at least it
                  >> just did here.
                  >
                  >Any idea how you did it? I'm assuming you mean you did it without
                  >when you initially loaded the clb file from the zip and re-saved
                  >it).

                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
                    Hi Jody,

                    Apparently its not enough to set Trim White Spaces in View|Options|Documents. With the [Clips] document open, I needed to use Document|Properties, i.e., to select Use Default Settings!

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Hi Sheri,,

                      >Apparently its not enough to set Trim White Spaces in
                      >View|Options|Documents. With the [Clips] document open, I needed
                      >to use Document|Properties, i.e., to select Use Default Settings!

                      Shouldn't have to. The Document settings are dealt with in two ways.
                      This is what I have in PasteBack for one of my FAQ support questions.
                      I type in doc abd copy.cut it below starting in the next paragraph.
                      The "doc" will not be there anymore of course. :)

                      There are two settings for documents:

                      One is in View | Options | Documents... It controls the features
                      used for all new documents like when you click on the New
                      Document icon on the Toolbar (Ctrl+N).

                      The second is off the main menu under Document | Properties... It
                      controls each document's settings, that is, the one you have
                      focused in NoteTab. So, for an existing file you want to change
                      the properties for that document in Document | Properties off the
                      main menu. The properties for the focused file override the
                      settings made in Options for all new documents. The settings are
                      stored in NoteTab's main folder in NoteTab.fpr (NotePro.fpr for
                      Pro) and remembered between NoteTab sessions.

                      ----

                      Me again. ;) If you go back to Document | Properties, you should
                      be able to set Trim White Spaces then for the Clip Editor, hmmm,
                      which is actually the .clb file. Soooo, perhaps for all new
                      Libraries the Options settings will be used, but for existing
                      Libraries that were made when you may have had Trim White Spaces
                      unchecked when you made it would not work like we/I, well,
                      finally, after all these years of fumbling around with that
                      feature and on the list I think we stumbled across the "problem"
                      with me talking us through it. Bet ya that is how it works. :)
                      I'm too tired to test... been up all night again...

                      Oh, what happened when you checked Use Default Settings - it uses
                      what your current Options settings are at - not NoteTab's install
                      default. Wanna bet? :) I'm just taking an educated guess??? Later

                    • Sheri
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 5, 2004
                        Hi Jody,

                        I guess something I had done in clip-edit (i.e., while editing the [Clips] document) was causing it not to use default properties, so my changing the options default to Trim White Spaces had no effect. Maybe that had happened to Mangus too. I've discovered that even clicking Wordwrap on the toolbar disables default properties for the current document. There is only one set of properties that applies to the [Clips] document; it doesn't matter which library is active. New clippers should be warned to set Trim White Spaces in Document|Properties for [Clips] as well as in Options.

                        IMO it would be helpful if the post-install default for Trim White Spaces was "on" instead of "off". Then unless the user changed that particular default option prior to ever using clip-edit he'd be all set. Just a thought for future versions :)

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 6, 2004
                          Hi Sheri,

                          (I'll let Eric know about this so that he can file this in his
                          NoteTab - things to do/check folder.)

                          >I guess something I had done in clip-edit (i.e., while editing
                          >the [Clips] document) was causing it not to use default
                          >properties, so my changing the options default to Trim White
                          >Spaces had no effect.

                          That should be a bug then IMO. If you click on Document | Trim
                          White Spaces (TWS) in Properties (not Options), it should set it for
                          the whole clb file since NoteTab deals with the whole file.
                          (Sometimes we overlook that thinking the Clip Editor is a
                          separate entity.) (I don't write like this (saying things you
                          probably know) making it sound like you do not know what you are
                          doing, but for the benefit of others and a reminder for us all. :)

                          My argument is if you open a regular document and set TWS in the
                          document's Properties, it will/should be set overriding the
                          Default (our personal Options | Documents) settings. Therefore,
                          it should act the same with the Clipbook Library. I have not
                          checked to set it with the clb opened as a document, and not just
                          the Clip Editor. Perhaps that is where the glitch is.

                          >Maybe that had happened to Mangus too. I've discovered that even
                          >clicking Wordwrap on the toolbar disables default properties for
                          >the current document.

                          Yes, you will notice if you toggle the word wrap state and then
                          go to Document | Properties that it should be toggled there as
                          well. I've seen it like that. Never paid attention to see if it
                          does it "hot" or if NoteTab has to be restarted for it to show
                          though. Note that the Toolbar icons work hand in hand (tied
                          together) with the dialog check boxes. If you check the Word Wrap
                          box, then the Word Wrap icon will get depressed on the Toolbar
                          for instance.

                          >There is only one set of properties that applies to the [Clips]
                          >document; it doesn't matter which library is active. New clippers
                          >should be warned to set Trim White Spaces in Document|Properties
                          >for [Clips] as well as in Options.

                          I will have to investigate this further. I'm not agreeing or
                          disagreeing although in theory, it should not work like that at
                          least when compared to how other documents work with these
                          features. I think that would be the better setting though.
                          Although the Clipbook Library is its own think, NoteTab still
                          treats it as a file/document, at least for the most part.
                          Thinking about the Show Headers feature though - that works for
                          all Libraries. You cannot set it to show for one Library, but not
                          another. However, that is not a document property.

                          >IMO it would be helpful if the post-install default for Trim
                          >White Spaces was "on" instead of "off". Then unless the user
                          >changed that particular default option prior to ever using clip-
                          >edit he'd be all set. Just a thought for future versions :)

                          I agree if... you know more scripting and programming languages
                          than me, so maybe you know the answer. What if a programmer has
                          real white spaces at the end of an existing 30k line file with
                          460 lines ending in them. Ouch! We know he would have plenty of
                          backups, but nevertheless... :) Perhaps Eric could have a one
                          time warning whenever a document had a white space at the end of
                          the line and it was about to get removing stating what the
                          circumstances would be and the benefit of having it done.

                          Thanks for your feedback! Off to town now...