Re: [Clip] Synchronize OTL files with Palm

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
      Martyn,

      At 10:42 AM 1/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hello All,
      >
      >I would like to be able to be able to synchronize and edit Outline
      >docs on the Palm OS. There may be a ready made solution, but I am not
      >aware of it.
      >
      >The only way I can think of doing it is to use a clip to convert the
      >otl to html and save it, then use AutoIt to open the html in Word,
      >save it as a Word document and then use "DocumentsToGo" to
      >synchronize it and allow editing on the Palm. It is messy but it
      >would be fairly easy to do.
      >
      >The difficulty, I think, would be to convert the Word Document back
      >to an OTL file.
      >
      >I would be grateful for any ideas and suggestions from the group.

      If you have a plain text editor on your palm, there is no reason why you can't edit OTL files as flat files.

      What makes a OTL file an outline file is the file header (first line in the file followed by a blank line) which is

      = V4 Outline MultiLine TabWidth=30

      If your text editor doesn't recognize that as a OTL file header and display it in an outline format then it will just display it as a flat text file.

      The OTL extension does not determine how the file is viewed. You can change the extension to anything you like and it will still open in NTP as an outline file because NTP recognizes the file header to be an outline file.

      If you open an OTL file in Word, it will be displayed as a flat file.

      HTH

      Jim
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        Hi Jim,

        At 10:41 AM 1/3/04 -0800, you wrote:
        >Martyn,
        >
        >If you open an OTL file in Word, it will be displayed as a flat file.

        If you open an OTL file in NOTEPAD !-) it will be displayed as a flat file.
        You can display an outline file in NoteTab as a flat (regular text) file
        by opening a new unsaved document and then going to the menu bar and
        selecting Document/Insert File and browsing to and selecting the outline
        file you want to display and inserting it into the new document.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê