Re: Find - Replace

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      Assuming you are working with some form of HTML, have you tried this?

      ^!Replace "^P" >> "</p>^P<p>" SAW

      Then just add the following to finish it up.

      ^!Jump DOC_END
      ^!InsertHtml </p>
      ^!Jump DOC_START
      ^!InsertHtml <p>

      Now having said that, it sounds to me like you do not need a clip to
      do what you want. I'll often have a need to convert an entire
      document of plain text into HTML (excluding the HTML header and
      footer). To do that, I simply go to the NoteTab OPTIONS/INTERNET tab
      and set the html headers and footers to nothing if necessary (Delete
      everything in each box).. Then I'll just run the NoteTab tool
      of "Document to HTML" on the active text document and the text is
      converted to HTML just as you are wanting to do it. Bear in mind the
      original text document needs to be in the correct layout before
      conversion. That is, the paragraphs should be double-spaced and
      wherever you desire <br> elements to be inserted, just have single
      line breaks. For example:

      THIS WOULD BE A PARAGRAPH OF TEXT WHEN CONVERTED TO HTML.

      THIS WOULD BE ONE LINE IN ANOTHER PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE BREAK.
      THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE
      BREAK.
      THIS WOULD BE A THIRD LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A
      CLOSING PARAGRAPH TAG.

      Which after the document to html conversion would be:

      BREAK.<br>
      THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE
      BREAK.<br>
      THIS WOULD BE A THIRD LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A
      CLOSING PARAGRAPH TAG.</p>

      John

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <lee@t...> wrote:
      > I have looked through the clip help file to try to figure this out
      but to
      > no avail. I need some help!
      >
      > I am trying to figure out how I can find a blank line and insert a
      code
      > into it (i.e. find and bank line and insert "<p>"). So far I have:
      >
      > ^!Continue This will add a <p> to all the empty lines. - Continue?
      > ^!Replace "^P" >> "<p>^P" SAW
      >
      > However, this also adds the code to the end of a line with other
      text in
      > it. I just want to add to the blank ones.
      >
      > I also am trying to figure out how to add a "<br>" to the end of a
      line
      > when there is another line of text after it but not add one if
      there is a
      > blank line after it. I am thinking that, when I can get the first
      part
      > working, I can tell the second part (adding a <br>) to skip lines
      with a
      > "<p>" in it.
      >
      > I appreciate it.
      >
      > Lee
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
        This one takes a text selection (highlighted) and creates a NEW HTL
        coded page containing no Header or foot.
        --

        ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+C
        ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+N

        ~~~
        Jeff Scism, IBSSG
        Scismgenie@...

        http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
        http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/

        A computer without COBOL and FORTRAN is like a piece of chocolate cake
        without ketchup or mustard. (John Krueger)

        Now there is something about 80 columns and 12 zones....OH YES, and the
        notched corner in the upper right... Then there was Burroughs...
      • Lee Underwood
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
          John,

          At 1/1/04 03:32 PM, John Zeman wrote:
          >Assuming you are working with some form of HTML, have you tried this?
          >
          >^!Replace "^P" >> "</p>^P<p>" SAW
          >
          >Then just add the following to finish it up.
          >
          >^!Jump DOC_END
          >^!InsertHtml </p>
          >^!Jump DOC_START
          >^!InsertHtml <p>

          This clip adds a <p> at the end of every line. I only need it in the blank
          lines. Also, it adds the </p> which I do not use. That is the problem with
          the method below. I am just trying to write a clip to do it the way I want
          it with out the other coding, which I would then have to erase.

          Lee

          >Now having said that, it sounds to me like you do not need a clip to
          >do what you want. I'll often have a need to convert an entire
          >document of plain text into HTML (excluding the HTML header and
          >footer). To do that, I simply go to the NoteTab OPTIONS/INTERNET tab
          >and set the html headers and footers to nothing if necessary (Delete
          >everything in each box).. Then I'll just run the NoteTab tool
          >of "Document to HTML" on the active text document and the text is
          >converted to HTML just as you are wanting to do it. Bear in mind the
          >original text document needs to be in the correct layout before
          >conversion. That is, the paragraphs should be double-spaced and
          >wherever you desire <br> elements to be inserted, just have single
          >line breaks. For example:
          >

          >THIS WOULD BE A PARAGRAPH OF TEXT WHEN CONVERTED TO HTML.
          >
          >THIS WOULD BE ONE LINE IN ANOTHER PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE BREAK.
          >THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE
          >BREAK.
          >THIS WOULD BE A THIRD LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A
          >CLOSING PARAGRAPH TAG.
          >

          >Which after the document to html conversion would be:

          >BREAK.<br>
          >THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE
          >BREAK.<br>
          >THIS WOULD BE A THIRD LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A
          >CLOSING PARAGRAPH TAG.</p>
          >

          >John
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
            Ok Lee, then you might try using something this as a template for a
            clip.

            ^!Replace "^P^P" >> "|" ATIWS
            ^!Replace "^P" >> "<br>" ATIWS
            ^!Replace "|" >> "^P^P<p>" ATIWS

            The first line in the clip temporarily replaces all double spaced
            (^P^P) lines with a character not found in your text document (I used
            the pipe (|) character).

            The second line in the clip replaces the remaining ^P with <br>

            And the third line changes the temporary | character used in the
            first step into ^P^P<p>

            You may have a trailing <br> at the very end to delete if you had an
            line break there, and you won't have an opening <p> tag if the very
            first paragraph is at the top of the page, but otherwise it should do
            what you want unless I'm not understanding you correctly.