Find - Replace

  • Lee Underwood
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      I have looked through the clip help file to try to figure this out but to
      no avail. I need some help!

      I am trying to figure out how I can find a blank line and insert a code
      into it (i.e. find and bank line and insert "<p>"). So far I have:

      ^!Continue This will add a <p> to all the empty lines. - Continue?
      ^!Replace "^P" >> "<p>^P" SAW

      However, this also adds the code to the end of a line with other text in
      it. I just want to add to the blank ones.

      I also am trying to figure out how to add a "<br>" to the end of a line
      when there is another line of text after it but not add one if there is a
      blank line after it. I am thinking that, when I can get the first part
      working, I can tell the second part (adding a <br>) to skip lines with a
      "<p>" in it.

      I appreciate it.

      Lee
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
        Assuming you are working with some form of HTML, have you tried this?

        ^!Replace "^P" >> "</p>^P<p>" SAW

        Then just add the following to finish it up.

        ^!Jump DOC_END
        ^!InsertHtml </p>
        ^!Jump DOC_START
        ^!InsertHtml <p>

        Now having said that, it sounds to me like you do not need a clip to
        do what you want. I'll often have a need to convert an entire
        document of plain text into HTML (excluding the HTML header and
        footer). To do that, I simply go to the NoteTab OPTIONS/INTERNET tab
        and set the html headers and footers to nothing if necessary (Delete
        everything in each box).. Then I'll just run the NoteTab tool
        of "Document to HTML" on the active text document and the text is
        converted to HTML just as you are wanting to do it. Bear in mind the
        original text document needs to be in the correct layout before
        conversion. That is, the paragraphs should be double-spaced and
        wherever you desire <br> elements to be inserted, just have single
        line breaks. For example:

        THIS WOULD BE A PARAGRAPH OF TEXT WHEN CONVERTED TO HTML.

        THIS WOULD BE ONE LINE IN ANOTHER PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE BREAK.
        THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE
        BREAK.
        THIS WOULD BE A THIRD LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A
        CLOSING PARAGRAPH TAG.

        Which after the document to html conversion would be:

        BREAK.<br>
        THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE
        BREAK.<br>
        THIS WOULD BE A THIRD LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A
        CLOSING PARAGRAPH TAG.</p>

        John

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <lee@t...> wrote:
        > I have looked through the clip help file to try to figure this out
        but to
        > no avail. I need some help!
        >
        > I am trying to figure out how I can find a blank line and insert a
        code
        > into it (i.e. find and bank line and insert "<p>"). So far I have:
        >
        > ^!Continue This will add a <p> to all the empty lines. - Continue?
        > ^!Replace "^P" >> "<p>^P" SAW
        >
        > However, this also adds the code to the end of a line with other
        text in
        > it. I just want to add to the blank ones.
        >
        > I also am trying to figure out how to add a "<br>" to the end of a
        line
        > when there is another line of text after it but not add one if
        there is a
        > blank line after it. I am thinking that, when I can get the first
        part
        > working, I can tell the second part (adding a <br>) to skip lines
        with a
        > "<p>" in it.
        >
        > I appreciate it.
        >
        > Lee
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
          This one takes a text selection (highlighted) and creates a NEW HTL
          coded page containing no Header or foot.
          --

          ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+C
          ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+N

          ~~~
          Jeff Scism, IBSSG
          Scismgenie@...

          http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
          http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/

          A computer without COBOL and FORTRAN is like a piece of chocolate cake
          without ketchup or mustard. (John Krueger)

          Now there is something about 80 columns and 12 zones....OH YES, and the
          notched corner in the upper right... Then there was Burroughs...
        • Lee Underwood
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
            John,

            At 1/1/04 03:32 PM, John Zeman wrote:
            >Assuming you are working with some form of HTML, have you tried this?
            >
            >^!Replace "^P" >> "</p>^P<p>" SAW
            >
            >Then just add the following to finish it up.
            >
            >^!Jump DOC_END
            >^!InsertHtml </p>
            >^!Jump DOC_START
            >^!InsertHtml <p>

            This clip adds a <p> at the end of every line. I only need it in the blank
            lines. Also, it adds the </p> which I do not use. That is the problem with
            the method below. I am just trying to write a clip to do it the way I want
            it with out the other coding, which I would then have to erase.

            Lee

            >Now having said that, it sounds to me like you do not need a clip to
            >do what you want. I'll often have a need to convert an entire
            >document of plain text into HTML (excluding the HTML header and
            >footer). To do that, I simply go to the NoteTab OPTIONS/INTERNET tab
            >and set the html headers and footers to nothing if necessary (Delete
            >everything in each box).. Then I'll just run the NoteTab tool
            >of "Document to HTML" on the active text document and the text is
            >converted to HTML just as you are wanting to do it. Bear in mind the
            >original text document needs to be in the correct layout before
            >conversion. That is, the paragraphs should be double-spaced and
            >wherever you desire <br> elements to be inserted, just have single
            >line breaks. For example:
            >

            >THIS WOULD BE A PARAGRAPH OF TEXT WHEN CONVERTED TO HTML.
            >
            >THIS WOULD BE ONE LINE IN ANOTHER PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE BREAK.
            >THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE
            >BREAK.
            >THIS WOULD BE A THIRD LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A
            >CLOSING PARAGRAPH TAG.
            >

            >Which after the document to html conversion would be:

            >BREAK.<br>
            >THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A LINE
            >BREAK.<br>
            >THIS WOULD BE A THIRD LINE IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH FOLLOWED BY A
            >CLOSING PARAGRAPH TAG.</p>
            >

            >John
          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
              Ok Lee, then you might try using something this as a template for a
              clip.

              ^!Replace "^P^P" >> "|" ATIWS
              ^!Replace "^P" >> "<br>" ATIWS
              ^!Replace "|" >> "^P^P<p>" ATIWS

              The first line in the clip temporarily replaces all double spaced
              (^P^P) lines with a character not found in your text document (I used
              the pipe (|) character).

              The second line in the clip replaces the remaining ^P with <br>

              And the third line changes the temporary | character used in the
              first step into ^P^P<p>

              You may have a trailing <br> at the very end to delete if you had an
              line break there, and you won't have an opening <p> tag if the very
              first paragraph is at the top of the page, but otherwise it should do
              what you want unless I'm not understanding you correctly.