Re: Syntax question (Using Examdiff)

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      In case anyone is interested I've just posted a message on the off
      topic board reference the way I use ExamDiff. I don't use a clip to
      call it and the files I want compared, that's why I put the post on
      the off topic board..

      John
    • michaeljbrock
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
        I gave up on my "fancy" approach and I have adopted yours. Time will
        tell if I can remember to move the files next to each other before I
        compare them.

        Michael

        ______[Copy below this line]_______
        H="Examdiff"
        ;Larry Thomas <larryt@c...>
        ;04/13/2003, 02:04:09 PM
        ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+Tab
        ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
        ^!CmdShow Maximize
        ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%"
        _____[Copy above this line]______
        | right click over the clipbook |
        | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
          Hi Michael,

          At 12:10 AM 12/4/03 -0000, you wrote:
          >I gave up on my "fancy" approach and I have adopted yours. Time will
          >tell if I can remember to move the files next to each other before I
          >compare them.
          >
          >Michael

          Here is a modification of my clip that you might like better. It takes
          advantage of the fact that NoteTab maintains a history of the last fourteen
          files opened and you can reopen these files with the ^!Keyborad command.
          All you have to do before you use this clip is to have the two files you
          want to compare open and then close both of them to place them on the
          reopen history list. Then run the clip and it will reopen and compare the
          last two files you closed.

          ______[Copy below this line]_______
          H="Examdiff - Reload"
          ;lrt@... e¿ê
          ;12/03/2003, 06:58:26 PM
          ^!Keyboard Alt+F R 1
          ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
          ^!Keyboard Alt+F R 1
          ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
          ^!CmdShow Maximize
          ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t
          _____[Copy above this line]______
          | right click over the clipbook |
          | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • michaeljbrock
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
            That's clever! Unfortunately, it would mean that I would lose my
            bookmarks in the files. Probably not a big deal most of the time
            but I'm sure the first time I accidently lost a bunch of bookmarks I
            would become "not very happy"!

            Michael

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

            > Hi Michael,
            >
            > At 12:10 AM 12/4/03 -0000, you wrote:
            > >I gave up on my "fancy" approach and I have adopted yours. Time
            will
            > >tell if I can remember to move the files next to each other
            before I
            > >compare them.
            > >
            > >Michael
            >
            > Here is a modification of my clip that you might like better. It
            takes
            > advantage of the fact that NoteTab maintains a history of the last
            fourteen
            > files opened and you can reopen these files with the ^!Keyborad
            command.
            > All you have to do before you use this clip is to have the two
            files you
            > want to compare open and then close both of them to place them on
            the
            > reopen history list. Then run the clip and it will reopen and
            compare the
            > last two files you closed.
            >
            > ______[Copy below this line]_______
            > H="Examdiff - Reload"
            > ;lrt@n... e¿ê
            > ;12/03/2003, 06:58:26 PM
            > ^!Keyboard Alt+F R 1
            > ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
            > ^!Keyboard Alt+F R 1
            > ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
            > ^!CmdShow Maximize
            > ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t
            > _____[Copy above this line]______
            > | right click over the clipbook |
            > | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
            > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Larry
            > lrt@n... e¿ê
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
              Hi Michael,

              At 05:19 PM 12/4/03 -0000, you wrote:
              >That's clever! Unfortunately, it would mean that I would lose my
              >bookmarks in the files. Probably not a big deal most of the time
              >but I'm sure the first time I accidently lost a bunch of bookmarks I
              >would become "not very happy"!
              >
              >Michael

              I am sorry that it did not work for you. Well don't ever accuse me of
              giving up although I think that this will be my last work on this. I wrote
              this new improved version and I am keeping it for myself to use, I like it
              so much. This clip captures the currently focused document name and then
              uses ^!StatusShow to display a message on the screen without blocking you
              from changing document tabs while it is running. Then it goes into a loop
              and waits for you to switch focus to the second document to be compared and
              when you press the Ctrl key, it captures the file name for the second
              document and sends the names of both documents to Examdiff for comparison.
              I have tested this one as well as the one before and this one does NOT
              delete bookmarks. It allows you to select documents in any order without
              arranging them side by side or in any special order. Just select the first
              document to compare and run the clip and then select the second document to
              compare and press the Ctrl key and it will do it. If you fail to select
              the second document, you will receive a message telling you need to make a
              second selection and then looping you back to the status message. If you
              want to cancel the clip when it is showing the status message, first press
              the Alt key and hold it down and press the Ctrl key which will cancel the
              clip. Enjoy.

              ______[Copy below this line]_______
              H="Examdiff - Second Doc Selector"
              ;lrt@... e¿ê
              ;12/04/2003, 02:09:41 PM
              ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
              ^!StatusShow Select the second file and press the control key.
              ^!IfFalse ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ Skip_-1
              ^!IfSame "^%comp1%" "^**" Next ELSE Skip_3
              ^!StatusClose
              ^!Info [L] You need to select a second^Pdocument for comparison.
              ^!Goto Skip_-5
              ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
              ^!CmdShow Maximize
              ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t
              _____[Copy above this line]______
              | right click over the clipbook |
              | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                Laary -

                > It allows you to select documents in any order without
                > arranging them side by side or in any special order. Just select the
                > first document to compare and run the clip and then select the second
                > document to compare and press the Ctrl key and it will do it.

                *very* slick - though I prefer CompareIt to the free version of ExamDiff. I
                haven't looked at the Pro.

                Btw: CompareIt http://www.grigsoft.com/wc3history.htm just came out with ver
                3.3. Since ver 3.1 or 3.2 it has included syntax highlighting so now with a
                file of Html or Perl format I can hit my clip button based on your clip and
                see the files compared with highlighting or just compare a "real" file to an
                empty buffer to see a file highlighted with the syntax appropriate to its
                type.

                Regards ... Alec

                > ^!StatusShow Select the second file and press the control key.
                > ^!IfFalse ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ Skip_-1
                > ^!IfSame "^%comp1%" "^**" Next ELSE Skip_3
                > ^!StatusClose
                > ^!Info [L] You need to select a second^Pdocument for comparison.
                > ^!Goto Skip_-5
                > ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
                > ^!CmdShow Maximize
                > ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t
                > _____[Copy above this line]______
                >> right click over the clipbook |
                >> and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
              • michaeljbrock
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
                  Wow! I'm happy now. That is a clip which reminds me why I have been
                  using NoteTab for years while my partners use the editors
                  with "fancy" features (where's 5.0? <g>).

                  Works like a charm. Couldn't have asked for something that suited
                  my needs any better.

                  Thanks again. I very much appreciate the effort.

                  Michael

                  --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

                  > Hi Michael,
                  >
                  > At 05:19 PM 12/4/03 -0000, you wrote:
                  > >That's clever! Unfortunately, it would mean that I would lose my
                  > >bookmarks in the files. Probably not a big deal most of the time
                  > >but I'm sure the first time I accidently lost a bunch of
                  bookmarks I
                  > >would become "not very happy"!
                  > >
                  > >Michael
                  >

                  > ______[Copy below this line]_______
                  > H="Examdiff - Second Doc Selector"
                  > ;lrt@n... e¿ê
                  > ;12/04/2003, 02:09:41 PM
                  > ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
                  > ^!StatusShow Select the second file and press the control key.
                  > ^!IfFalse ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ Skip_-1
                  > ^!IfSame "^%comp1%" "^**" Next ELSE Skip_3
                  > ^!StatusClose
                  > ^!Info [L] You need to select a second^Pdocument for comparison.
                  > ^!Goto Skip_-5
                  > ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
                  > ^!CmdShow Maximize
                  > ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t
                  > _____[Copy above this line]______
                  > | right click over the clipbook |
                  > | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                  > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Larry
                  > lrt@n... e¿ê
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
                    At 02:56 PM 12/5/03 -0000, you wrote:
                    >Wow! I'm happy now. That is a clip which reminds me why I have been
                    >using NoteTab for years while my partners use the editors
                    >with "fancy" features (where's 5.0? <g>).
                    >
                    >Works like a charm. Couldn't have asked for something that suited
                    >my needs any better.

                    You are welcome. I am using this one myself so I get the advantage of it
                    too. This is one of the many reasons that I like NoteTab so much. Eric
                    provided so very very many commands and functions that you can almost drive
                    yourself crazy trying to decide which is the best way to do something. And
                    it only took me ten lines of code to do compared to what we were trying to
                    do before I went this route. !-)

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    lrt@... e¿ê