Re: [Clip] Syntax question (Using Examdiff)

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hi Michael,

      At 05:50 PM 12/3/03 -0000, you wrote:
      >That would have been perfect! Got my hopes up on that one. I'm at
      >a brick wall so I'll explain what I'm trying to do and show you what
      >I have.

      I don't know how to do what you want but here is what I do with Examdiff.
      This clip works by comparing two open documents that are adjacent to each
      other. Just make sure that the focus is on the left document tab. The
      clip captures the file name on the first document and then switches to the
      second document tab and captures the file name for that document and then
      it opens Examdiff and passes the two file names to it as parameters. I
      think that this is much simpler to do than what you are trying to do and it
      works very well for me. I use it quite a bit - yes, I use it and I don't
      have to come back and apologize later because it doesn't work as I say it
      does. I put it on a clipbar button and all I have to do is open the two
      files that I want to compare and place the focus on the first one and click
      the button.

      ______[Copy below this line]_______
      H="Examdiff"
      ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
      ;04/13/2003, 02:04:09 PM
      ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
      ^!Keyboard Ctrl+Tab
      ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
      ^!CmdShow Maximize
      ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%"
      _____[Copy above this line]______
      | right click over the clipbook |
      | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
        In case anyone is interested I've just posted a message on the off
        topic board reference the way I use ExamDiff. I don't use a clip to
        call it and the files I want compared, that's why I put the post on
        the off topic board..

        John
      • michaeljbrock
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
          I gave up on my "fancy" approach and I have adopted yours. Time will
          tell if I can remember to move the files next to each other before I
          compare them.

          Michael

          ______[Copy below this line]_______
          H="Examdiff"
          ;Larry Thomas <larryt@c...>
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
            Hi Michael,

            At 12:10 AM 12/4/03 -0000, you wrote:
            >I gave up on my "fancy" approach and I have adopted yours. Time will
            >tell if I can remember to move the files next to each other before I
            >compare them.
            >
            >Michael

            Here is a modification of my clip that you might like better. It takes
            advantage of the fact that NoteTab maintains a history of the last fourteen
            files opened and you can reopen these files with the ^!Keyborad command.
            All you have to do before you use this clip is to have the two files you
            want to compare open and then close both of them to place them on the
            reopen history list. Then run the clip and it will reopen and compare the
            last two files you closed.

            ______[Copy below this line]_______
            H="Examdiff - Reload"
            ;lrt@... e¿ê
            ;12/03/2003, 06:58:26 PM
            ^!Keyboard Alt+F R 1
            ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
            ^!Keyboard Alt+F R 1
            ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
            ^!CmdShow Maximize
            ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
              That's clever! Unfortunately, it would mean that I would lose my
              bookmarks in the files. Probably not a big deal most of the time
              but I'm sure the first time I accidently lost a bunch of bookmarks I
              would become "not very happy"!

              Michael

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

              > Hi Michael,
              >
              > At 12:10 AM 12/4/03 -0000, you wrote:
              > >I gave up on my "fancy" approach and I have adopted yours. Time
              will
              > >tell if I can remember to move the files next to each other
              before I
              > >compare them.
              > >
              > >Michael
              >
              > Here is a modification of my clip that you might like better. It
              takes
              > advantage of the fact that NoteTab maintains a history of the last
              fourteen
              > files opened and you can reopen these files with the ^!Keyborad
              command.
              > All you have to do before you use this clip is to have the two
              files you
              > want to compare open and then close both of them to place them on
              the
              > reopen history list. Then run the clip and it will reopen and
              compare the
              > last two files you closed.
              >
              > ______[Copy below this line]_______
              > H="Examdiff - Reload"
              > ;lrt@n... e¿ê
              > ;12/03/2003, 06:58:26 PM
              > ^!Keyboard Alt+F R 1
              > ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
              > ^!Keyboard Alt+F R 1
              > ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
              > ^!CmdShow Maximize
              > ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t
              > _____[Copy above this line]______
              > | right click over the clipbook |
              > | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
              > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Larry
              > lrt@n... e¿ê
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                Hi Michael,

                At 05:19 PM 12/4/03 -0000, you wrote:
                >That's clever! Unfortunately, it would mean that I would lose my
                >bookmarks in the files. Probably not a big deal most of the time
                >but I'm sure the first time I accidently lost a bunch of bookmarks I
                >would become "not very happy"!
                >
                >Michael

                I am sorry that it did not work for you. Well don't ever accuse me of
                giving up although I think that this will be my last work on this. I wrote
                this new improved version and I am keeping it for myself to use, I like it
                so much. This clip captures the currently focused document name and then
                uses ^!StatusShow to display a message on the screen without blocking you
                from changing document tabs while it is running. Then it goes into a loop
                and waits for you to switch focus to the second document to be compared and
                when you press the Ctrl key, it captures the file name for the second
                document and sends the names of both documents to Examdiff for comparison.
                I have tested this one as well as the one before and this one does NOT
                delete bookmarks. It allows you to select documents in any order without
                arranging them side by side or in any special order. Just select the first
                document to compare and run the clip and then select the second document to
                compare and press the Ctrl key and it will do it. If you fail to select
                the second document, you will receive a message telling you need to make a
                second selection and then looping you back to the status message. If you
                want to cancel the clip when it is showing the status message, first press
                the Alt key and hold it down and press the Ctrl key which will cancel the
                clip. Enjoy.

                ______[Copy below this line]_______
                H="Examdiff - Second Doc Selector"
                ;lrt@... e¿ê
                ;12/04/2003, 02:09:41 PM
                ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
                ^!StatusShow Select the second file and press the control key.
                ^!IfFalse ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ Skip_-1
                ^!IfSame "^%comp1%" "^**" Next ELSE Skip_3
                ^!StatusClose
                ^!Info [L] You need to select a second^Pdocument for comparison.
                ^!Goto Skip_-5
                ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
                ^!CmdShow Maximize
                ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t
                _____[Copy above this line]______
                | right click over the clipbook |
                | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

                Regards,

                Larry
                lrt@... e¿ê
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                  Laary -

                  > It allows you to select documents in any order without
                  > arranging them side by side or in any special order. Just select the
                  > first document to compare and run the clip and then select the second
                  > document to compare and press the Ctrl key and it will do it.

                  *very* slick - though I prefer CompareIt to the free version of ExamDiff. I
                  haven't looked at the Pro.

                  Btw: CompareIt http://www.grigsoft.com/wc3history.htm just came out with ver
                  3.3. Since ver 3.1 or 3.2 it has included syntax highlighting so now with a
                  file of Html or Perl format I can hit my clip button based on your clip and
                  see the files compared with highlighting or just compare a "real" file to an
                  empty buffer to see a file highlighted with the syntax appropriate to its
                  type.

                  Regards ... Alec

                  > ^!StatusShow Select the second file and press the control key.
                  > ^!IfFalse ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ Skip_-1
                  > ^!IfSame "^%comp1%" "^**" Next ELSE Skip_3
                  > ^!StatusClose
                  > ^!Info [L] You need to select a second^Pdocument for comparison.
                  > ^!Goto Skip_-5
                  > ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
                  > ^!CmdShow Maximize
                  > ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t
                  > _____[Copy above this line]______
                  >> right click over the clipbook |
                  >> and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                  > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                • michaeljbrock
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Wow! I'm happy now. That is a clip which reminds me why I have been
                    using NoteTab for years while my partners use the editors
                    with "fancy" features (where's 5.0? <g>).

                    Works like a charm. Couldn't have asked for something that suited
                    my needs any better.

                    Thanks again. I very much appreciate the effort.

                    Michael

                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

                    > Hi Michael,
                    >
                    > At 05:19 PM 12/4/03 -0000, you wrote:
                    > >That's clever! Unfortunately, it would mean that I would lose my
                    > >bookmarks in the files. Probably not a big deal most of the time
                    > >but I'm sure the first time I accidently lost a bunch of
                    bookmarks I
                    > >would become "not very happy"!
                    > >
                    > >Michael
                    >

                    > ______[Copy below this line]_______
                    > H="Examdiff - Second Doc Selector"
                    > ;lrt@n... e¿ê
                    > ;12/04/2003, 02:09:41 PM
                    > ^!Set %Comp1%=^**
                    > ^!StatusShow Select the second file and press the control key.
                    > ^!IfFalse ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ Skip_-1
                    > ^!IfSame "^%comp1%" "^**" Next ELSE Skip_3
                    > ^!StatusClose
                    > ^!Info [L] You need to select a second^Pdocument for comparison.
                    > ^!Goto Skip_-5
                    > ^!Set %Comp2%=^**
                    > ^!CmdShow Maximize
                    > ^!C:\Program Files\Examdiff\EXAMDIFF.EXE "^%Comp1%" "^%Comp2%" /t
                    > _____[Copy above this line]______
                    > | right click over the clipbook |
                    > | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                    > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Larry
                    > lrt@n... e¿ê
                  • Larry Thomas
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
                      At 02:56 PM 12/5/03 -0000, you wrote:
                      >Wow! I'm happy now. That is a clip which reminds me why I have been
                      >using NoteTab for years while my partners use the editors
                      >with "fancy" features (where's 5.0? <g>).
                      >
                      >Works like a charm. Couldn't have asked for something that suited
                      >my needs any better.

                      You are welcome. I am using this one myself so I get the advantage of it
                      too. This is one of the many reasons that I like NoteTab so much. Eric
                      provided so very very many commands and functions that you can almost drive
                      yourself crazy trying to decide which is the best way to do something. And
                      it only took me ten lines of code to do compared to what we were trying to
                      do before I went this route. !-)

                      Regards,

                      Larry
                      lrt@... e¿ê