Re: [Clip] Database Spit Clip

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
      Jody:

      > H=_GetTextTop
      > ; Last updated 11/20/2001, Jody@...
      > ; http://www.notetab.net, http://www.notetab.net/order
      > ; Working example of a custom function that gets the text
      > ; from the cursor point to the top of file.

      Sorry for the question about > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
      I had accidentally changed the date-order in OE and read the fixup before
      seeing the original post that clearly states it is a custom function.

      Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
          Hi Alec,

          I reworded all four that I have so they make sense (copy/paste error of
          mine;) and sent it in my previous post at the bottom. Unfortunately
          custom functions do not work with ^!FarClip so you need to add them to
          the Libraries you use them in.

          >> H=_GetTextTop
          >
          >Sorry for the question about > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
          >I had accidentally changed the date-order in OE and read the fixup before
          >seeing the original post that clearly states it is a custom function.

          Take care,
          Jody Adair

          and even thou doest err some!
          http://clean-funnies.com
          http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
          http://sojourners-software.com
        • Dick Gascoigne
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
            I have a similar clip, but it divides a large file into a specified number of segments, rather than a variable number segments of fixed size.

            It is used to break up a large spool file containing many documents (e.g. Invoices) into N files, each containing about the same number of documents. That is so each segment can be printed to a different printer, concurrently. (Load balancing.)

            If anyone can use it, let me know.

            Dick Gascoigne
            Singapore

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 3, 2003
              Hi Chris,

              I was doing one of those quickie Clips to save a selection as a
              file, actually I was using ^!TextToFile and I thought about your
              "Spit Clip." <g> If you are not going to be uploading from
              NoteTab, then you don't want to save the files it makes inside
              the editor so to speak because of resources due to how huge your
              file is; it's huge to me anyway. The following if used or not
              will introduce you to some more commands and techniques that you
              will use later if you continue on with Clip'n.

              ^!TextToFile will create a new file if it does not exist and if
              it does, the existing file will get overwritten without warning.

              The syntax is ^!TextToFile "Full\Path\FileName.ext" Text to save to file

              So, in the section of the script below the changes would be made.
              I made the changes below what's next, the current as far as what
              was posted to the list.

              ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
              ^!Toolbar Paste New
              ; Saves the copied text in a file with incremental numbering
              ; using the same filename as the original (See ^!Set Clips)
              ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"
              ; Switches back to the original file
              ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%
              ; Increments n by 1 (one)
              ^!Inc %n%

              ; extra blank lines below put in to see it better

              ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$

              ; was: ^!Toolbar Paste New
              ; was: ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"

              ; Creates a new file
              ^!TextToFile "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" ^$GetClipboard$

              ; The next two lines are removed completely
              ; was: Switches back to the original file
              ; was: ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%

              ; Increments n by 1 (one)
              ^!Inc %n%

              By using that method you do not double the size of MB open in
              NoteTab. It will make the Clip run faster because NoteTab is not
              overloading memory.

              If it is going to be used often, you will want to put in a safety
              measure so that you do not overwrite files that may exist when doing
              the TextToFile.

              In Help read up on ^!IfFileExist, but the short of it is...

              ^!IfFileExist "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" Warning else Next

              You can get fancy with it and increment the %n% in a loop until
              it does not find a file by the name being checked, but I would
              keep it simple and less confusing in go to Windows Explorer by
              just going to the :Warning label. You would have something like:

              :Warning
              ^!Prompt
              The file "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" already exists^%nl%
              in the folder you are trying to save to. You need^%nl%
              to go to go to Windows Explorer (or a file manager^%nl%
              used) to see what is going on. It's most likely^%nl%
              that you already ran this Clip using the folder^%nl%
              just mentioned.^%nl%

              You could use a ^!Continue box and ask if you wanted to
              go ahead and overwrite. If answered Yes, then you would
              need to set a flag so you would skip the ^!IfFileExist
              line. You would also need to ^!Dec%n% just once and go
              back to the text that was aborted out of (actually, not.
              It would still be on the Clipboard, but you might need
              to adjust the cursor position. I'm just typing away
              doing this in my head so it may not all be right on the
              money. <g> So, something like:

              ^!Continue blah, blah, blah... Continue?
              ^!Set %OverWrite%=1
              ; DEc given that you Inc before you IfFileExist ... Warning
              ^!Dec %n%
              ^!TextToFile "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" ^$GetClipboard$

              You then go to a :label back up in your script to restart it;
              probably where you loop to if no file already existed.

              ^!Goto SomeLabel

              When you get to the ^!IfFileExist line in the Clip you add the
              following with the flag you set:

              ^!IfTrue ^%OverWrite% Skip

              The line you skip is the ^!IfFileExist check. The line of code
              following it would be the ^!TextToFile command. It will be
              skipped every time you loop through it (or until you set
              %OverWrite%=0 if you ever find a reason to do that. <bg>

              OK, then, go for it. BTW, there is no extra charge for those
              tidbits. 8D I normally write Clips for $50.00 an hour if anybody
              is ever interested interested. ;) Jody @ NoteTab . net
              (compressed) :) I was up all night last night build a computer to
              sell on eBay or locally, so this is about it for me.

              Good NoteNite!-) ...and...

              http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm