RE: [Clip] Database Spit Clip

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi John,

      (Chris, thanks for your post. Keep on keep'n on till we cross
      Jordan! It's best not to reply since it would be considered
      off topic and not for the use of NoteTab. ;)

      >I'm interested in this clip, so I've been trying to follow this
      >thread, but at this point, I'm lost. If you would please post the
      >final clip, it would be helpful.

      I added notes for you; hope it helps...

      <--- Copy below this line --->
      H=Split at nnn
      ; eMailed on 12-02-2003, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
      ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

      ^!SetHintInfo Working...
      ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
      ^!Set %DocIndex%=^$GetDocIndex$
      ^!Set %n%=1
      ^!Set %PathName%=^#; %ext%=^$GetExt(^##)$
      ^!Jump Doc_End

      :EmptyLine
      ; Ensures there is an empty line at the end of the doc
      ; If that creates a problem in the file, make sure you
      ; have have automatic save turned off or make changes
      ; in the Clip using a different method to ensure all of
      ; the last line of data is copied
      ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ Skip_2
      ^!Replace "^p" >> "" SB
      ^!Goto EmptyLine
      ^!InsertText ^p
      ^!Jump 1

      :Loop
      ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
      ; Jumps the amount of lines you want to copy to a new file
      ; I suggest you test with a small number on a small file
      ^!Jump +10
      ; Use ^!Find at the point if you want to find a specific
      ; character or string to stop the copy at. Use the "S" option
      ; if you do not want any messages to be displayed such as no
      ; more occurrences found. Use ^!IfError [DoThis] else [DoThis]
      ; after ^!Find if you want to add an option. A lot of times
      ; you use that in a loop to prevent an endless loop.
      ;^!Find "search data" S
      ; ^!Jump Select_End or Select_Start to un-select the the text
      ; found either at the beginning or end of the found data.
      ;^!Jump Select_End
      ; Custom function. Must have _GetTextTop Clip for it to work
      ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
      ^!Toolbar Paste New
      ; Saves the copied text in a file with incremental numbering
      ; using the same filename as the original (See ^!Set Clips)
      ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"
      ; Switches back to the original file
      ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%
      ; Increments n by 1 (one)
      ^!Inc %n%
      ; Stops the loop once the end of doc is reached. When ^!Jump +
      ; exceeds the doc line amount, then the cursor goes to the end
      ^!If "^$GetRow$" => "^$GetLineCount$" Next else Loop
      ; ^!Close Discard closes the original file w/o saving. The files
      ; original end will be restored where the Clip ensured there was
      ; only one blank line at the end of the file. If you want the file
      ; to be saved use ^!Save As "^##" and optionally ^!Close
      ^!Close Discard
      ; Reloads original document w/o saving. Does not close the file
      ;^!Toolbar Reload Document

      <--- Copy above this line --->
      <--- Right click over a Library --->
      <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

      http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
        Jody:

        > Dummy me - not needed: ^!Clip "GetTextTop" ...

        ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$

        Is this a built-in function? I don't see it in the index for Clip Script
        Help, nor in the QuickList Clip Assistant.

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
          Jody:

          > H=_GetTextTop
          > ; Last updated 11/20/2001, Jody@...
          > ; http://www.notetab.net, http://www.notetab.net/order
          > ; Working example of a custom function that gets the text
          > ; from the cursor point to the top of file.

          Sorry for the question about > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
          I had accidentally changed the date-order in OE and read the fixup before
          seeing the original post that clearly states it is a custom function.

          Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
              Hi Alec,

              I reworded all four that I have so they make sense (copy/paste error of
              mine;) and sent it in my previous post at the bottom. Unfortunately
              custom functions do not work with ^!FarClip so you need to add them to
              the Libraries you use them in.

              >> H=_GetTextTop
              >
              >Sorry for the question about > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
              >I had accidentally changed the date-order in OE and read the fixup before
              >seeing the original post that clearly states it is a custom function.

              Take care,
              Jody Adair

              and even thou doest err some!
              http://clean-funnies.com
              http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
              http://sojourners-software.com
            • Dick Gascoigne
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
                I have a similar clip, but it divides a large file into a specified number of segments, rather than a variable number segments of fixed size.

                It is used to break up a large spool file containing many documents (e.g. Invoices) into N files, each containing about the same number of documents. That is so each segment can be printed to a different printer, concurrently. (Load balancing.)

                If anyone can use it, let me know.

                Dick Gascoigne
                Singapore

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Hi Chris,

                  I was doing one of those quickie Clips to save a selection as a
                  file, actually I was using ^!TextToFile and I thought about your
                  "Spit Clip." <g> If you are not going to be uploading from
                  NoteTab, then you don't want to save the files it makes inside
                  the editor so to speak because of resources due to how huge your
                  file is; it's huge to me anyway. The following if used or not
                  will introduce you to some more commands and techniques that you
                  will use later if you continue on with Clip'n.

                  ^!TextToFile will create a new file if it does not exist and if
                  it does, the existing file will get overwritten without warning.

                  The syntax is ^!TextToFile "Full\Path\FileName.ext" Text to save to file

                  So, in the section of the script below the changes would be made.
                  I made the changes below what's next, the current as far as what
                  was posted to the list.

                  ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
                  ^!Toolbar Paste New
                  ; Saves the copied text in a file with incremental numbering
                  ; using the same filename as the original (See ^!Set Clips)
                  ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"
                  ; Switches back to the original file
                  ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%
                  ; Increments n by 1 (one)
                  ^!Inc %n%

                  ; extra blank lines below put in to see it better

                  ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$

                  ; was: ^!Toolbar Paste New
                  ; was: ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"

                  ; Creates a new file
                  ^!TextToFile "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" ^$GetClipboard$

                  ; The next two lines are removed completely
                  ; was: Switches back to the original file
                  ; was: ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%

                  ; Increments n by 1 (one)
                  ^!Inc %n%

                  By using that method you do not double the size of MB open in
                  NoteTab. It will make the Clip run faster because NoteTab is not
                  overloading memory.

                  If it is going to be used often, you will want to put in a safety
                  measure so that you do not overwrite files that may exist when doing
                  the TextToFile.

                  In Help read up on ^!IfFileExist, but the short of it is...

                  ^!IfFileExist "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" Warning else Next

                  You can get fancy with it and increment the %n% in a loop until
                  it does not find a file by the name being checked, but I would
                  keep it simple and less confusing in go to Windows Explorer by
                  just going to the :Warning label. You would have something like:

                  :Warning
                  ^!Prompt
                  The file "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" already exists^%nl%
                  in the folder you are trying to save to. You need^%nl%
                  to go to go to Windows Explorer (or a file manager^%nl%
                  used) to see what is going on. It's most likely^%nl%
                  that you already ran this Clip using the folder^%nl%
                  just mentioned.^%nl%

                  You could use a ^!Continue box and ask if you wanted to
                  go ahead and overwrite. If answered Yes, then you would
                  need to set a flag so you would skip the ^!IfFileExist
                  line. You would also need to ^!Dec%n% just once and go
                  back to the text that was aborted out of (actually, not.
                  It would still be on the Clipboard, but you might need
                  to adjust the cursor position. I'm just typing away
                  doing this in my head so it may not all be right on the
                  money. <g> So, something like:

                  ^!Continue blah, blah, blah... Continue?
                  ^!Set %OverWrite%=1
                  ; DEc given that you Inc before you IfFileExist ... Warning
                  ^!Dec %n%
                  ^!TextToFile "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" ^$GetClipboard$

                  You then go to a :label back up in your script to restart it;
                  probably where you loop to if no file already existed.

                  ^!Goto SomeLabel

                  When you get to the ^!IfFileExist line in the Clip you add the
                  following with the flag you set:

                  ^!IfTrue ^%OverWrite% Skip

                  The line you skip is the ^!IfFileExist check. The line of code
                  following it would be the ^!TextToFile command. It will be
                  skipped every time you loop through it (or until you set
                  %OverWrite%=0 if you ever find a reason to do that. <bg>

                  OK, then, go for it. BTW, there is no extra charge for those
                  tidbits. 8D I normally write Clips for $50.00 an hour if anybody
                  is ever interested interested. ;) Jody @ NoteTab . net
                  (compressed) :) I was up all night last night build a computer to
                  sell on eBay or locally, so this is about it for me.

                  Good NoteNite!-) ...and...

                  http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm