RE: [Clip] Database Spit Clip

  • Wright, John - Textron Financial
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
      Jody,

      I'm interested in this clip, so I've been trying to follow this thread, but
      at this point, I'm lost. If you would please post the final clip, it would
      be helpful.

      Thanks,
      JW

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
        Hi John,

        (Chris, thanks for your post. Keep on keep'n on till we cross
        Jordan! It's best not to reply since it would be considered
        off topic and not for the use of NoteTab. ;)

        >I'm interested in this clip, so I've been trying to follow this
        >thread, but at this point, I'm lost. If you would please post the
        >final clip, it would be helpful.

        I added notes for you; hope it helps...

        <--- Copy below this line --->
        H=Split at nnn
        ; eMailed on 12-02-2003, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
        ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

        ^!SetHintInfo Working...
        ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
        ^!Set %DocIndex%=^$GetDocIndex$
        ^!Set %n%=1
        ^!Set %PathName%=^#; %ext%=^$GetExt(^##)$
        ^!Jump Doc_End

        :EmptyLine
        ; Ensures there is an empty line at the end of the doc
        ; If that creates a problem in the file, make sure you
        ; have have automatic save turned off or make changes
        ; in the Clip using a different method to ensure all of
        ; the last line of data is copied
        ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ Skip_2
        ^!Replace "^p" >> "" SB
        ^!Goto EmptyLine
        ^!InsertText ^p
        ^!Jump 1

        :Loop
        ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
        ; Jumps the amount of lines you want to copy to a new file
        ; I suggest you test with a small number on a small file
        ^!Jump +10
        ; Use ^!Find at the point if you want to find a specific
        ; character or string to stop the copy at. Use the "S" option
        ; if you do not want any messages to be displayed such as no
        ; more occurrences found. Use ^!IfError [DoThis] else [DoThis]
        ; after ^!Find if you want to add an option. A lot of times
        ; you use that in a loop to prevent an endless loop.
        ;^!Find "search data" S
        ; ^!Jump Select_End or Select_Start to un-select the the text
        ; found either at the beginning or end of the found data.
        ;^!Jump Select_End
        ; Custom function. Must have _GetTextTop Clip for it to work
        ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
        ^!Toolbar Paste New
        ; Saves the copied text in a file with incremental numbering
        ; using the same filename as the original (See ^!Set Clips)
        ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"
        ; Switches back to the original file
        ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%
        ; Increments n by 1 (one)
        ^!Inc %n%
        ; Stops the loop once the end of doc is reached. When ^!Jump +
        ; exceeds the doc line amount, then the cursor goes to the end
        ^!If "^$GetRow$" => "^$GetLineCount$" Next else Loop
        ; ^!Close Discard closes the original file w/o saving. The files
        ; original end will be restored where the Clip ensured there was
        ; only one blank line at the end of the file. If you want the file
        ; to be saved use ^!Save As "^##" and optionally ^!Close
        ^!Close Discard
        ; Reloads original document w/o saving. Does not close the file
        ;^!Toolbar Reload Document

        <--- Copy above this line --->
        <--- Right click over a Library --->
        <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

        http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
          Jody:

          > Dummy me - not needed: ^!Clip "GetTextTop" ...

          ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$

          Is this a built-in function? I don't see it in the index for Clip Script
          Help, nor in the QuickList Clip Assistant.

          Regards ... Alec

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
            Jody:

            > H=_GetTextTop
            > ; Last updated 11/20/2001, Jody@...
            > ; http://www.notetab.net, http://www.notetab.net/order
            > ; Working example of a custom function that gets the text
            > ; from the cursor point to the top of file.

            Sorry for the question about > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
            I had accidentally changed the date-order in OE and read the fixup before
            seeing the original post that clearly states it is a custom function.

            Regards ... Alec

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
                Hi Alec,

                I reworded all four that I have so they make sense (copy/paste error of
                mine;) and sent it in my previous post at the bottom. Unfortunately
                custom functions do not work with ^!FarClip so you need to add them to
                the Libraries you use them in.

                >> H=_GetTextTop
                >
                >Sorry for the question about > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
                >I had accidentally changed the date-order in OE and read the fixup before
                >seeing the original post that clearly states it is a custom function.

                Take care,
                Jody Adair

                and even thou doest err some!
                http://clean-funnies.com
                http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                http://sojourners-software.com
              • Dick Gascoigne
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
                  I have a similar clip, but it divides a large file into a specified number of segments, rather than a variable number segments of fixed size.

                  It is used to break up a large spool file containing many documents (e.g. Invoices) into N files, each containing about the same number of documents. That is so each segment can be printed to a different printer, concurrently. (Load balancing.)

                  If anyone can use it, let me know.

                  Dick Gascoigne
                  Singapore

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 3, 2003
                    Hi Chris,

                    I was doing one of those quickie Clips to save a selection as a
                    file, actually I was using ^!TextToFile and I thought about your
                    "Spit Clip." <g> If you are not going to be uploading from
                    NoteTab, then you don't want to save the files it makes inside
                    the editor so to speak because of resources due to how huge your
                    file is; it's huge to me anyway. The following if used or not
                    will introduce you to some more commands and techniques that you
                    will use later if you continue on with Clip'n.

                    ^!TextToFile will create a new file if it does not exist and if
                    it does, the existing file will get overwritten without warning.

                    The syntax is ^!TextToFile "Full\Path\FileName.ext" Text to save to file

                    So, in the section of the script below the changes would be made.
                    I made the changes below what's next, the current as far as what
                    was posted to the list.

                    ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
                    ^!Toolbar Paste New
                    ; Saves the copied text in a file with incremental numbering
                    ; using the same filename as the original (See ^!Set Clips)
                    ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"
                    ; Switches back to the original file
                    ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%
                    ; Increments n by 1 (one)
                    ^!Inc %n%

                    ; extra blank lines below put in to see it better

                    ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$

                    ; was: ^!Toolbar Paste New
                    ; was: ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"

                    ; Creates a new file
                    ^!TextToFile "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" ^$GetClipboard$

                    ; The next two lines are removed completely
                    ; was: Switches back to the original file
                    ; was: ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%

                    ; Increments n by 1 (one)
                    ^!Inc %n%

                    By using that method you do not double the size of MB open in
                    NoteTab. It will make the Clip run faster because NoteTab is not
                    overloading memory.

                    If it is going to be used often, you will want to put in a safety
                    measure so that you do not overwrite files that may exist when doing
                    the TextToFile.

                    In Help read up on ^!IfFileExist, but the short of it is...

                    ^!IfFileExist "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" Warning else Next

                    You can get fancy with it and increment the %n% in a loop until
                    it does not find a file by the name being checked, but I would
                    keep it simple and less confusing in go to Windows Explorer by
                    just going to the :Warning label. You would have something like:

                    :Warning
                    ^!Prompt
                    The file "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" already exists^%nl%
                    in the folder you are trying to save to. You need^%nl%
                    to go to go to Windows Explorer (or a file manager^%nl%
                    used) to see what is going on. It's most likely^%nl%
                    that you already ran this Clip using the folder^%nl%
                    just mentioned.^%nl%

                    You could use a ^!Continue box and ask if you wanted to
                    go ahead and overwrite. If answered Yes, then you would
                    need to set a flag so you would skip the ^!IfFileExist
                    line. You would also need to ^!Dec%n% just once and go
                    back to the text that was aborted out of (actually, not.
                    It would still be on the Clipboard, but you might need
                    to adjust the cursor position. I'm just typing away
                    doing this in my head so it may not all be right on the
                    money. <g> So, something like:

                    ^!Continue blah, blah, blah... Continue?
                    ^!Set %OverWrite%=1
                    ; DEc given that you Inc before you IfFileExist ... Warning
                    ^!Dec %n%
                    ^!TextToFile "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" ^$GetClipboard$

                    You then go to a :label back up in your script to restart it;
                    probably where you loop to if no file already existed.

                    ^!Goto SomeLabel

                    When you get to the ^!IfFileExist line in the Clip you add the
                    following with the flag you set:

                    ^!IfTrue ^%OverWrite% Skip

                    The line you skip is the ^!IfFileExist check. The line of code
                    following it would be the ^!TextToFile command. It will be
                    skipped every time you loop through it (or until you set
                    %OverWrite%=0 if you ever find a reason to do that. <bg>

                    OK, then, go for it. BTW, there is no extra charge for those
                    tidbits. 8D I normally write Clips for $50.00 an hour if anybody
                    is ever interested interested. ;) Jody @ NoteTab . net
                    (compressed) :) I was up all night last night build a computer to
                    sell on eBay or locally, so this is about it for me.

                    Good NoteNite!-) ...and...

                    http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm