Re: [Clip] Database Spit Clip

  • Christopher Wilson
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2003
      >Nope, but the Chris I know would have used an eMail address like yours. :)

      I choose it one night while I was browsing through eSword, I ended up at Mat
      10:32 (I always love reading through Jesus' own words). I am a songwriter,
      and a lot of my music is about being un-ashamed of Christ. :0)

      >I have a Library for Ws_Ftp also. You can make it real easy uploading from
      NoteTab with it. http://www.notetab.net/zip/ftpzip.zip

      Awesome! This will be extremely handy! I already have ws_ftp installed and
      ready to go. Cool! Thanks again for all the help. I've already started going
      through your clip class, this is going to really help me out!

      -Chris-
      chris@...

    • Wright, John - Textron Financial
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
        Jody,

        I'm interested in this clip, so I've been trying to follow this thread, but
        at this point, I'm lost. If you would please post the final clip, it would
        be helpful.

        Thanks,
        JW

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
          Hi John,

          (Chris, thanks for your post. Keep on keep'n on till we cross
          Jordan! It's best not to reply since it would be considered
          off topic and not for the use of NoteTab. ;)

          >I'm interested in this clip, so I've been trying to follow this
          >thread, but at this point, I'm lost. If you would please post the
          >final clip, it would be helpful.

          I added notes for you; hope it helps...

          <--- Copy below this line --->
          H=Split at nnn
          ; eMailed on 12-02-2003, ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody
          ; notetab.net, clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, sojourner.us

          ^!SetHintInfo Working...
          ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
          ^!Set %DocIndex%=^$GetDocIndex$
          ^!Set %n%=1
          ^!Set %PathName%=^#; %ext%=^$GetExt(^##)$
          ^!Jump Doc_End

          :EmptyLine
          ; Ensures there is an empty line at the end of the doc
          ; If that creates a problem in the file, make sure you
          ; have have automatic save turned off or make changes
          ; in the Clip using a different method to ensure all of
          ; the last line of data is copied
          ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ Skip_2
          ^!Replace "^p" >> "" SB
          ^!Goto EmptyLine
          ^!InsertText ^p
          ^!Jump 1

          :Loop
          ^!Set %Start%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
          ; Jumps the amount of lines you want to copy to a new file
          ; I suggest you test with a small number on a small file
          ^!Jump +10
          ; Use ^!Find at the point if you want to find a specific
          ; character or string to stop the copy at. Use the "S" option
          ; if you do not want any messages to be displayed such as no
          ; more occurrences found. Use ^!IfError [DoThis] else [DoThis]
          ; after ^!Find if you want to add an option. A lot of times
          ; you use that in a loop to prevent an endless loop.
          ;^!Find "search data" S
          ; ^!Jump Select_End or Select_Start to un-select the the text
          ; found either at the beginning or end of the found data.
          ;^!Jump Select_End
          ; Custom function. Must have _GetTextTop Clip for it to work
          ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
          ^!Toolbar Paste New
          ; Saves the copied text in a file with incremental numbering
          ; using the same filename as the original (See ^!Set Clips)
          ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"
          ; Switches back to the original file
          ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%
          ; Increments n by 1 (one)
          ^!Inc %n%
          ; Stops the loop once the end of doc is reached. When ^!Jump +
          ; exceeds the doc line amount, then the cursor goes to the end
          ^!If "^$GetRow$" => "^$GetLineCount$" Next else Loop
          ; ^!Close Discard closes the original file w/o saving. The files
          ; original end will be restored where the Clip ensured there was
          ; only one blank line at the end of the file. If you want the file
          ; to be saved use ^!Save As "^##" and optionally ^!Close
          ^!Close Discard
          ; Reloads original document w/o saving. Does not close the file
          ;^!Toolbar Reload Document

          <--- Copy above this line --->
          <--- Right click over a Library --->
          <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

          http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
            Jody:

            > Dummy me - not needed: ^!Clip "GetTextTop" ...

            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$

            Is this a built-in function? I don't see it in the index for Clip Script
            Help, nor in the QuickList Clip Assistant.

            Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
              Jody:

              > H=_GetTextTop
              > ; Last updated 11/20/2001, Jody@...
              > ; http://www.notetab.net, http://www.notetab.net/order
              > ; Working example of a custom function that gets the text
              > ; from the cursor point to the top of file.

              Sorry for the question about > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
              I had accidentally changed the date-order in OE and read the fixup before
              seeing the original post that clearly states it is a custom function.

              Regards ... Alec

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Hi Alec,

                  I reworded all four that I have so they make sense (copy/paste error of
                  mine;) and sent it in my previous post at the bottom. Unfortunately
                  custom functions do not work with ^!FarClip so you need to add them to
                  the Libraries you use them in.

                  >> H=_GetTextTop
                  >
                  >Sorry for the question about > ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
                  >I had accidentally changed the date-order in OE and read the fixup before
                  >seeing the original post that clearly states it is a custom function.

                  Take care,
                  Jody Adair

                  and even thou doest err some!
                  http://clean-funnies.com
                  http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                  http://sojourners-software.com
                • Dick Gascoigne
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 2, 2003
                    I have a similar clip, but it divides a large file into a specified number of segments, rather than a variable number segments of fixed size.

                    It is used to break up a large spool file containing many documents (e.g. Invoices) into N files, each containing about the same number of documents. That is so each segment can be printed to a different printer, concurrently. (Load balancing.)

                    If anyone can use it, let me know.

                    Dick Gascoigne
                    Singapore

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 3, 2003
                      Hi Chris,

                      I was doing one of those quickie Clips to save a selection as a
                      file, actually I was using ^!TextToFile and I thought about your
                      "Spit Clip." <g> If you are not going to be uploading from
                      NoteTab, then you don't want to save the files it makes inside
                      the editor so to speak because of resources due to how huge your
                      file is; it's huge to me anyway. The following if used or not
                      will introduce you to some more commands and techniques that you
                      will use later if you continue on with Clip'n.

                      ^!TextToFile will create a new file if it does not exist and if
                      it does, the existing file will get overwritten without warning.

                      The syntax is ^!TextToFile "Full\Path\FileName.ext" Text to save to file

                      So, in the section of the script below the changes would be made.
                      I made the changes below what's next, the current as far as what
                      was posted to the list.

                      ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$
                      ^!Toolbar Paste New
                      ; Saves the copied text in a file with incremental numbering
                      ; using the same filename as the original (See ^!Set Clips)
                      ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"
                      ; Switches back to the original file
                      ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%
                      ; Increments n by 1 (one)
                      ^!Inc %n%

                      ; extra blank lines below put in to see it better

                      ^!SetClipboard ^$GetTextTop$

                      ; was: ^!Toolbar Paste New
                      ; was: ^!Save As "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%"

                      ; Creates a new file
                      ^!TextToFile "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" ^$GetClipboard$

                      ; The next two lines are removed completely
                      ; was: Switches back to the original file
                      ; was: ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%

                      ; Increments n by 1 (one)
                      ^!Inc %n%

                      By using that method you do not double the size of MB open in
                      NoteTab. It will make the Clip run faster because NoteTab is not
                      overloading memory.

                      If it is going to be used often, you will want to put in a safety
                      measure so that you do not overwrite files that may exist when doing
                      the TextToFile.

                      In Help read up on ^!IfFileExist, but the short of it is...

                      ^!IfFileExist "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" Warning else Next

                      You can get fancy with it and increment the %n% in a loop until
                      it does not find a file by the name being checked, but I would
                      keep it simple and less confusing in go to Windows Explorer by
                      just going to the :Warning label. You would have something like:

                      :Warning
                      ^!Prompt
                      The file "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" already exists^%nl%
                      in the folder you are trying to save to. You need^%nl%
                      to go to go to Windows Explorer (or a file manager^%nl%
                      used) to see what is going on. It's most likely^%nl%
                      that you already ran this Clip using the folder^%nl%
                      just mentioned.^%nl%

                      You could use a ^!Continue box and ask if you wanted to
                      go ahead and overwrite. If answered Yes, then you would
                      need to set a flag so you would skip the ^!IfFileExist
                      line. You would also need to ^!Dec%n% just once and go
                      back to the text that was aborted out of (actually, not.
                      It would still be on the Clipboard, but you might need
                      to adjust the cursor position. I'm just typing away
                      doing this in my head so it may not all be right on the
                      money. <g> So, something like:

                      ^!Continue blah, blah, blah... Continue?
                      ^!Set %OverWrite%=1
                      ; DEc given that you Inc before you IfFileExist ... Warning
                      ^!Dec %n%
                      ^!TextToFile "^%PathName%^%n%^%ext%" ^$GetClipboard$

                      You then go to a :label back up in your script to restart it;
                      probably where you loop to if no file already existed.

                      ^!Goto SomeLabel

                      When you get to the ^!IfFileExist line in the Clip you add the
                      following with the flag you set:

                      ^!IfTrue ^%OverWrite% Skip

                      The line you skip is the ^!IfFileExist check. The line of code
                      following it would be the ^!TextToFile command. It will be
                      skipped every time you loop through it (or until you set
                      %OverWrite%=0 if you ever find a reason to do that. <bg>

                      OK, then, go for it. BTW, there is no extra charge for those
                      tidbits. 8D I normally write Clips for $50.00 an hour if anybody
                      is ever interested interested. ;) Jody @ NoteTab . net
                      (compressed) :) I was up all night last night build a computer to
                      sell on eBay or locally, so this is about it for me.

                      Good NoteNite!-) ...and...

                      http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm