NoteBlock Tab2Space Clip With Widely Varying Field Sizes?

  • kentbfd
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 20, 2003
      I have been using clips for about a year but for the life of me
      can't figure out how Tab2Space does its magic. (Perhaps NoteBlock
      already has the padding function I need but I haven't found it yet!)

      QUESTION SUMMARY:
      -How does one convert Tab delimited files to continous lines with
      padding so that each field starts at the same number of spaces in
      from the start?

      SO FAR:
      -Tried to use Jody Adair's NoteBlock Tab2Space, but without success.
      The reason may be some fields are consistent width's with 8 or 10 or
      20 characters between TABs while one in the middle varies from 0 to
      250 characters between TABs.

      THE TASK:
      Extracting Data from MYOB as XLS. Like to slice and dice in MONARCH
      (old version), which accepts PRN files = continuous lines. Wish a PRN
      type file where each field starts at a consistent distance in with
      spaces to pad from the end of the information to the next field's
      starting point.

      CURRENT MANUAL WORKAROUND:
      -Export from MYOB as XLS
      -Open in EXCEL
      -Export as Tab delimited
      -Begin Loop...
      >Use Note2Block's Tab2Space to grab first field in new document.
      >In new document, use Replace to pad from data end to EOL. (Replace
      "^P" with "30 spaces+^P").
      >Use Block Copy to grab 1st 25 characters.
      >Block Paste into PRN file.
      >Loop until all fields are captured, padded & stretched, copied and
      pasted.
      -Open saved PRN file in MONARCH

      Kent

      PS Took a quick look at CSVDB but didn't find a padding function.
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 21, 2003
        Hi Kent,

        >I have been using clips for about a year but for the life of me
        >can't figure out how Tab2Space does its magic. (Perhaps NoteBlock
        >already has the padding function I need but I haven't found it yet!)
        >
        >QUESTION SUMMARY:
        >-How does one convert Tab delimited files to continous lines with
        >padding so that each field starts at the same number of spaces in
        >from the start?
        >
        >SO FAR:
        >-Tried to use Jody Adair's NoteBlock Tab2Space, but without success.
        >The reason may be some fields are consistent width's with 8 or 10 or
        >20 characters between TABs while one in the middle varies from 0 to
        >250 characters between TABs.

        The spacing you have sounds correct for like smart/real tabs. You
        have your tabs spaced close to far away so that the file is
        aligned in neat rows. NoteBlock does the same with the
        Tabs2Spaces Clip, except that fields are padded with spaces (like
        fixed tabs). I cannot say why it doesn't work for you, my copy
        does. It is made to convert the tabs to spaces *keeping the
        alignment even* so the fields are in neat columns, unlike tabs
        when the tab setting is not wide enough to align them even.
        Anyway, if you send me private eMail the Clip you are using and
        about 6-10 lines of your file, I'll see what it is doing. Just
        edit any passwords, real names, phone etc. Send to:
        kjv-av1611@... please.

        Oh, if you just want the tabs converted to spaces not caring
        about the column alignment then just use NoteTab | Modify |
        Spaces | Tabs to Spaces. I think it is only available in NoteTab
        Pro though. You can use the ^!Replace command to build a Clip to
        replace the tabs (^t) to the amount of spaces you want them
        converted to (or use the Replace tool if it is a one time thing.

        http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

      • kentbfd
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 22, 2003
          Hopefully this is sufficent to unravel the mystery.

          1) Tab2Space code
          -------------------------------------
          ; Last updated on 11-22-2000, NoteTab Pro only
          ; Modify | Spaces | Tabs to Spaces
          ^!ClipBoardSave
          ^!Set %GetFile%=^?{(T=O)Path for file to get text from=^**}
          ^!Set %GetFileText%=^$GetFileText("^%GetFile%")$
          ^!SetClipboard ^%GetFileText%
          ^!Toolbar Paste New
          ^!ClipBoardRestore
          ^!Keyboard Alt+M S B
          ^!Jump 1

          ; or simply :-)
          ; ^!Toolbar Copy All
          ; ^!Toolbar Paste New
          ; ^!Keyboard Alt+M S B
          -------------------------------------

          2)a) Sample File: (Tabs between items)
          --------------------------------------
          One Two Three Four
          2nOne 2ndTwo 2ndThree 2ndFour
          One Two Three Four
          ---------------------------------------
          b)
          After Tab2Space: (Tabs replaced by spaces)
          One Two Three Four
          2nOne 2ndTwo 2ndThree 2ndFour
          One Two Three Four

          c)
          Looking for: (Data starting at the same point)

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 22, 2003
            Hi kentbfd,

            That's not the right Clip that I was thinking about. That is just
            a quickie using NoteTab's. Write me in private eMail and I'll
            send you the correct one. I think there is a copy at my Snatch-A-
            Clip also. http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm I'll change
            NoteBlock when I get the time. Thanks for writing me in private
            eMail like I asked before. <g> I don't want to bother list members
            with Clips from my Libraries.

            >Hopefully this is sufficent to unravel the mystery.
            >
            >1) Tab2Space code
            >^!Keyboard Alt+M S B

            Take care,
            Jody Adair

            and even thou doest err some!
            http://clean-funnies.com
            http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
            http://sojourners-software.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 22, 2003
              Hi Kent,

              Smart or real tabs are converted to two spaces between the longest tab
              spaces in the tab delimited file.

              http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the Library
              http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the Library plus
              Clipbar w/ buttons

              Is
              ¯¯
              One Two Three Four
              2nOne 2ndTwo 2ndThree 2ndFour
              One Two Three Four

              Becomes
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
              One Two Three Four
              2nOne 2ndTwo 2ndThree 2ndFour
              One Two Three Four

              See ya in the funnies,
              Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

              http://www.clean-funnies.com
            • Bob Gorman
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 23, 2003
                Being dyslexic, I swap keys VERY frequently.
                I have 2 functions to help correct this:
                "Swap from Left"
                "Swap from Right"
                thus if I intended to write CAT but wrote CTA
                If the cursor was on the T I'd use "Swap from Left"
                If the cursor was on the A I'd use "Swap from Right"

                But using a clip book or clip bar means
                leaving the keyboard
                and switching to the mouse
                and then returning to the keyboard.

                I'd prefer to put these 2 macros or Clips on F11 & F12
                since they are both close to the keyboard
                and are Right-Left of each other!
                also F11 (Spelling) & F12 (Thesaurus) I do from Clip Bars anyway.

                the Modify Shortcut Keys Help topic indicates:
                Place one shortcut reassignment per line.
                Start the line with the shortcut value,
                followed by a space,
                followed by the menu item.

                How can I use a Clip Macro instead of a menu item,
                perhaps like the contents of a Clip Bar Icon

                Example:
                F11 "Keystroke Library","Swap from Left"
                F12 "Keystroke Library","Swap from Right"

                Bob

                'I am only one; but I am still one.
                I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
                I will not refuse to do the something I can do.'
                -- Helen Keller

                - Bob Gorman
                http://www.kncell.org

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 23, 2003
                  Hi Bob,

                  We will be able to do what you want in v5, but not presently.

                  However, you can use an auto correct Library, especially since
                  you say it happens very often. Look at the AutoCorrect Library we
                  have now for examples and you can add to it or make a new one.
                  You might want to make a new one so in case if the current gets
                  overwritten sometime by accident. In short, you use the
                  characters that you type that are backwards for the Clip name and
                  inside the Clip you add it correctly. When you right click over
                  the Library there is an auto-replace item to turn it on or off.
                  There is also an item under the Tools menu for auto-replace.
                  Also, right click over the Library name in the combobox over the
                  Clips and choose Open as Document. Look at the first line of Code
                  marking it as an auto-replace Library.
                  Read Help about the differences and more...

                  >Being dyslexic, I swap keys VERY frequently.
                  >I have 2 functions to help correct this:
                  > "Swap from Left"
                  > "Swap from Right"
                  >thus if I intended to write CAT but wrote CTA
                  >If the cursor was on the T I'd use "Swap from Left"
                  >If the cursor was on the A I'd use "Swap from Right"

                  http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

                • kentghansen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 24, 2003
                    Jody

                    Thanks for your link to the other NoteBlock. It almost did the job.

                    After a whole bunch of experimenting I found that I still had to do
                    two SEARCH & REPLACE tasks...
                    SEARCH - all ',' (commas)
                    SEARCH - all " " (2 consecutive spaces).
                    REPLACE- with '' (nothing).

                    Apparently Tab2Block was converting the extensive text in the 250
                    column field (826 commas in total!) into additional Tabs.

                    If you wouldn't mind letting me know what lines of NOTEBLOCK code to
                    remark out so I didn't have to do the SEARCH & REPLACE it would
                    certainly be appreciated.

                    I imagine it has something to do with the section 'Make all
                    delimiters
                    tab'
                    ^!Replace "[ ][ ]+" >> "\t" STAIRWH
                    ^!Replace "[ ][ ]+" >> "\t" STAIRH

                    Your help has been very much appreciated.

                    Kent

                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                    > Hi Kent,
                    >
                    > Smart or real tabs are converted to two spaces between the longest
                    tab
                    > spaces in the tab delimited file.
                    >
                    > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the
                    Library
                    > http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the
                    Library
                    plus
                    > Clipbar w/ buttons
                    >
                    > Is
                    > ¯¯
                    > One Two Three Four
                    > 2nOne 2ndTwo 2ndThree 2ndFour
                    > One Two Three Four
                    >
                    > Becomes
                    > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                    > One Two Three Four
                    > 2nOne 2ndTwo 2ndThree 2ndFour
                    > One Two Three Four
                    >
                    > See ya in the funnies,
                    > Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15
                    >
                    > Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves
                    > for they shall never cease to be amused.
                    > http://www.clean-funnies.com
                  • hugo_paulissen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 24, 2003
                      Hi Bob, Jody,

                      > We will be able to do what you want in v5, but not presently.
                      >
                      > However, you can use an auto correct Library, especially since
                      > you say it happens very often.

                      Another option would be to use Escape to select the desired clip.
                      Escape invokes the last active library, and with the arrow-keys (or
                      by typing the first letter of your clip) you may select the
                      appropriate clip. For the sake of the latter I'd rename them
                      from "SWAP TO LEFT" and "SWAP TO RIGHT" to "1. SWAP TO LEFT" and "2.
                      SWAP TO RIGHT", or something similar (as long as the first letter is
                      different - it makes it easier to pick the desired clip)...

                      Hugo
                    • Robert J Miller Jr
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 24, 2003
                        Jody,

                        Please forgive me if this has been discussed recenytly and I missed it, but
                        when is V5 scheduled for release? Will it also have customizable syntax
                        color coding? Also, for the wish list, a better interface for "block mode"
                        editing would be nice. Please contact me offlist if you need some examples,
                        although I am sure that Eric probably knows what the competition out there
                        offers... ;)

                        Thanks,

                        Bob

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 24, 2003
                          Hi Kent

                          Please write me in private eMail. Resend this post to kjv-av1611@...
                          If that gets truncated look in the header for it. Thanks.

                        • kentghansen
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 3, 2003
                            Refound your request for a private email in the Clip listings.

                            .
                            > If that gets truncated look in the header for it. Thanks.
                            >
                            > >Thanks for your link to the other NoteBlock. It almost did the
                            job.

                            > >After a whole bunch of experimenting I found that I still had to do
                            > >two SEARCH & REPLACE tasks...
                            > >SEARCH - all ',' (commas)
                            > >SEARCH - all " " (2 consecutive spaces).
                            > >REPLACE- with '' (nothing).
                            > >
                            > >Apparently Tab2Block was converting the extensive text in the 250
                            > >column field (826 commas in total!) into additional Tabs.
                            > >
                            > >If you wouldn't mind letting me know what lines of NOTEBLOCK code
                            > >remark out so I didn't have to do the SEARCH & REPLACE it would
                            > >certainly be appreciated.
                            > >
                            > >I imagine it has something to do with the section 'Make all
                            > >delimiters
                            > >tab'
                            > >^!Replace "[ ][ ]+" >> "\t" STAIRWH
                            > >^!Replace "[ ][ ]+" >> "\t" STAIRH
                            > >

                            > >Your help has been very much appreciated.
                            > >
                            > >Kent
                            > >

                            > >--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                            > >> Hi Kent,
                            > >>
                            > >> Smart or real tabs are converted to two spaces between the
                            longest
                            > >tab
                            > >> spaces in the tab delimited file.
                            > >>
                            > >> http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblock.zip <-- Contains only the
                            > >Library
                            > >> http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteblockbar.zip <-- Contains the
                            > >Library
                            > >plus
                            > >> Clipbar w/
                            buttons

                            > >> Is
                            > >> ¯¯
                            > >> One Two Three Four
                            > >> 2nOne 2ndTwo 2ndThree 2ndFour
                            > >> One Two Three Four
                            > >>
                            > >> Becomes
                            > >> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                            > >> One Two Three Four
                            > >> 2nOne 2ndTwo 2ndThree 2ndFour
                            > >> One Two Three Four
                            > >>
                            > >> See ya in the funnies,
                            > >> Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15
                            > >>
                            > >> Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves
                            > >> for they shall never cease to be amused.
                            > >> http://www.clean-funnies.com

                            com/info/terms/
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 9, 2003
                              Hi Robert,

                              It appears I missed this one. No date of completion set. It will
                              have customizable syntax highlighting. A much better block mode
                              interface will be used.

                              >Please forgive me if this has been discussed recenytly and I missed it, but
                              >when is V5 scheduled for release? Will it also have customizable syntax
                              >color coding? Also, for the wish list, a better interface for "block mode"
                              >editing would be nice.

                              See ya in the funnies!
                              jody

                              clean-funnies.com, fookes.us, notetab.net
                              sojourner.us, notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm