SAVE AS DEFAULT

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
      My next question:

      Is there a way to select *.htm instead of *.txt as the default saving
      format?

      I would lie to set it as selectable, or perhaps have some code within
      thetemplate that tells the process that it is html encoded text other
      than "plain" text.

      Perhaps a IF-then Process? Like "IF the </HTML> is found THEN set
      doocument save default to *.htm"?

      JEFF
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
        Jeff,

        There are actually three parts to this process.

        First is to determine which filter is the default for the display of files.

        Second is to determine which extension is the default for a given filter.

        Third is to determine the default extension used in the SAVE AS command if no extension is currently present in the FILENAME pick box.

        All of these are set up in OPTIONS>FILE FILTERS

        The filters are listed on the left side of the window.

        The DISPLAY DEFAULT for SAVE AS is the FIRST one listed (as in TOP of the list).
        The DISPLAY DEFAULT for OPEN is the LAST one listed (as in BOTTOM of the list).

        These can be dragged and dropped up and down to change the order that they are listed in or select the desired listing and use the MOVE buttons.

        Within the Filter listing, the FIRST extension listed is the DEFAULT and can be changed by editing the WILD CARDS window. It is a little difficult to tell sometimes but the delimiters here are semi colons.

        The Description window just changes the human readable description that you see when you select OPEN or SAVE AS and is normally changed to match the WILD CARDS definition.

        The DEFAULT EXTENSION used in the SAVE (for new documents) or SAVE AS command is determined by the entry in the DEFAULT EXTENSION window. This can have an entry (no period "dot" required) or be left blank and if changed during a session will be immediately effective.

        When left blank, no extension is automatically applied and one can simply type in the desired extension.

        As to the IF/THEN situation, NoteTab uses the file extension to determine that a file is HTML text rather than Plain text. (Catch 22)

        The FILE FILTER parameters are stored in the NoteTab.INI file so it is technically possible to create a Clip that would search the document for HTML tags and switch .INI files or just those parameters but it will be a little messy and will require about the same number of keystrokes to accomplish and may take longer (while the clip searches the document) than just typing in an extension.

        If you normally want to have files saved as HTML then set the DEFAULT EXTENSION to HTML and when you want to save a file as .TXT, just delete the HTML and type in TXT in the FILENAME window of the SAVE AS dialog box.

        At 08:35 AM 11/5/2003 -0800, you wrote:
        >Is there a way to select *.htm instead of *.txt as the default saving
        >format?
        >
        >I would lie to set it as selectable, or perhaps have some code within
        >thetemplate that tells the process that it is html encoded text other
        >than "plain" text.
        >
        >Perhaps a IF-then Process? Like "IF the </HTML> is found THEN set
        >doocument save default to *.htm"?
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2003
          Hi Jeff,

          >Perhaps a IF-then Process? Like "IF the </HTML> is found THEN set
          >doocument save default to *.htm"?

          How 'bout something like this...

          H="Save as HTM"
          ^!Jump 1
          ^!Find "</HTML>" SI
          ^!IfError NOHTML else SAVE

          :SAVE
          ^!Set %name%="^$ChangeFileExt("^$GetDocname$";"htm")$"
          ^!Save As "^%name%"
          ^!Goto END

          :NOHTML
          ^!Info This file does not contain HTML elements

          Julie
        • BHCS
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2003
            Julie or Jody,

            I've been nosing around the web page for this list & looking at a few of
            Jody's previous emails but can find nothing about changing the type of
            my subscription. So, can you change it to "Digest" mode based on this
            post, or is there another address I send to to request this change?
            (currently I get a email copy of each post as it's added to the list --
            I want to get one daily or periodic mailing that includes all msgs for
            the period. I think this is "Digest" mode).

            Bill Harriff
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2003
              Hi Bill,

              >I've been nosing around the web page for this list & looking at a few of
              >Jody's previous emails but can find nothing about changing the type of
              >my subscription. So, can you change it to "Digest" mode based on this
              >post, or is there another address I send to to request this change?
              >(currently I get a email copy of each post as it's added to the list --
              >I want to get one daily or periodic mailing that includes all msgs for
              >the period. I think this is "Digest" mode).

              It's just as easy for you to do yourself...

              Helpful addresses for subscription management (make sure you send from the
              address you are subscribed to the list with):

              Send mail to the list: Ntb-Clips@yahoogroups.com
              Switch to digest: Ntb-Clips-digest@yahoogroups.com
              Swich to Nomail: Ntb-Clips-nomail@yahoogroups.com
              Switch to normal mail: Ntb-Clips-normal@yahoogroups.com
              Subscribe: Ntb-Clips-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Julie
            • funkysmama
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2003
                Hi Jeff --

                If I understand what you're asking, and you're using a template, all
                you have to do is put the following in the first line of you tpl file:

                = DocTemplate "Page%0.3d.htm"

                or

                = DocTemplate ClipCode "Page%0.3d.htm", if you're using code within
                the template.

                Does that answer your question?

                -- Funky's Mama