Re: [Clip] Clip Editor is Active???

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
      Hi Ed,

      Maybe some of this might help...

      I did not read all the messages on this, but this seems to be the
      latest... The dots, exclamation marks, and lack of on certain
      Clip items can be controlled (be seen or not) from Options |
      Clipbook | Show Clip Icons. If all of them disappeared and just
      not the one, then I would check that setting. Help says: Show
      Clip Icons: Set this option to display little icons next to
      wrappable or executable Clip items. It means that an exclamation
      mark is used when there is some type of command in the Clip
      starting with "^!". The dot is used when it is just text to be
      pasted in when executing (clicking on) the Clip. The highlighted
      items, red by default means that it may contain information and
      when clicked upon a message box will appear. (A semi-colon is
      placed in front of the Clip name to create this effect. Commands
      and functions in the Clip will not execute if they are in this
      type of Clip. Furthermore, the text is shown the way it is
      formatted like if you leave a blank line in it then that will be
      how it appears in the popup.)

      You might create a template to see how the header works. The
      first line should look like the first below and the second if it
      contains Clip Code:

      = DocTemplate "%2d"
      = DocTemplate ClipCode "Page%0.3d.htm"

      (File | Template | Edit)

      You can change the tab name by reading in Help how to do it.

      >Under the Library HTML the first thing listed is HTML Template
      >(in RED) below that is a template that I could once click on and
      >a new HTML page template would open up. Now for some reason the
      >! is missing in front of the template "New Web Page" and it will
      >no longer function from that library. If I go into NoteTab Pro
      >and into the template folder it is there and will open up and
      >give me the new web page template. I would like to have the New
      >Web Page template operational from the HTML library. So what
      >would I need to do to make it work again?

      Take care,
      Jody Adair

      and even thou doest err some!
      http://clean-funnies.com
      http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
      http://sojourners-software.com
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
        Hi Ed,

        I looked at an earlier posting and it appears that what you are referring
        to as a template is really a clipbook library with the name HTML.clb. When
        I go to this library, the first clip there is the same as the one that I
        just posted with the name of "New Web Page". So you can use that as part
        of your model but as I said before, you need to create a new clipbook
        library and copy the clips to it so that you can play with them without
        risking the original libraries.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
          Edward,

          For quick information on the NoteTab file and directory structure and formats go to
          http://jimbow.com/
          and download "NoteTab Intro for Newbies"

          For quick information on the the different types of NoteTab "Clips" (macros or scripts) and what they do, and how to use them go to
          http://jimbow.com/
          and download "Basic Clip Basics"

          You can find more info on Clip Writing in the Help Menu and at:
          http://www.notetab.net/
          (All kinds of neat goodies)

          At 08:29 AM 11/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
          >OK, I understand that I know nothing about clips and clip writing and I
          >am trying to learn at the places you suggest. However, the immediate
          >problem at hand is this.

        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
            > AH, nevermind after reading your email and looking in the clipbook
            > program, I managed to drag the Template to Notepad where it opened up
            > and I put it back where it belonged. Works as it should now. Thanks. The
            > bright light has not lit up yet but the candle has been lit.. Perhaps
            > working with a copy of this template I can get one to work the way I
            > want it to. Thanks very much, Larry.
            > Ed

            Ed,

            Templates are special animals and they can interact with clips which can
            make it confusing. To work on a template, Ed, you have to do file /
            template / open and then save it under a different name right away
            before modifying it. They are very special files. They are also
            powerful when you figure out what they do.
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
              At 03:03 PM 11/5/03 -0500, you wrote:
              >Templates are special animals and they can interact with clips which can
              >make it confusing. To work on a template, Ed, you have to do file /
              >template / open and then save it under a different name right away
              >before modifying it. They are very special files. They are also
              >powerful when you figure out what they do.

              Hi Don,

              Actually going to the menu and selecting file/template/open will not allow
              you to edit a template file. This action actually opens a new document
              based on the template file. Opening the HTML template this way will open a
              new HTML file ready for you to edit similar to the way the new file command
              opens a new noname01.txt file.

              To open the template files for editing, you should select
              file/template/edit. To create a brand new template file select
              file/template/new.

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 6, 2003
                Yep, I knew what I wanted to say! I just didn't :-)
                I meant edit of course.

                If you open a template it does it's thing Ed.
                Buy you can edit it. Click edit, immediately save under a diff. name
                and then whack away. That way you don't affect the "real" template.