Re: [Clip] Clip Editor is Active???

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
      Edward wrote:

      > Under the Library HTML the first thing listed is HTML Template (in RED)
      > below that is a template that I could once click on and a new HTML page
      > template would open up. Now for some reason the ! is missing in front
      > of the template "New Web Page" and it will no longer function from that
      > library. If I go into NoteTab Pro and into the template folder it is
      > there and will open up and give me the new web page template. I would
      > like to have the New Web Page template operational from the HTML
      > library. So what would I need to do to make it work again?

      AH, nevermind after reading your email and looking in the clipbook
      program, I managed to drag the Template to Notepad where it opened up
      and I put it back where it belonged. Works as it should now. Thanks. The
      bright light has not lit up yet but the candle has been lit.. Perhaps
      working with a copy of this template I can get one to work the way I
      want it to. Thanks very much, Larry.
      Ed
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
        Hi Ed,

        At 08:29 AM 11/5/03 -0600, you wrote:
        >Larry Thomas wrote:
        >

        > A clip can be referred to as a template but NoteTab happens
        >> to have a special feature that it uses to create document templates for
        >> opening new documents as an example and people are going to be confused to
        >> some extent about whether you are referring to a clip or to a template like
        >> this.
        >>

        >OK, I understand that I know nothing about clips and clip writing and I
        >am trying to learn at the places you suggest. However, the immediate
        >problem at hand is this.

        It appears that you have made changes to the original template. You should
        avoid doing this because you may need to keep the original for a sample.
        If you have changed your original, you should reinstall NoteTab from your
        install copy to restore all of the templates and clipbook libraries that
        came with it. If you really need something that you entered into one of
        the libraries or templates, then rename them to a special name that will
        not be overwritten because it was not used by the original install program.

        Create your own clip library by clicking your left mouse button on the drop
        down list at the top of the clipbook panel on the left and selecting "new"
        and then enter the name you want to have the new library to have. Now
        follow the directions below and enter the clip below into your new library
        and when you run it, it will open a popup menu to create a new HTML
        document from the HTML template that Eric provided.

        ______[Copy below this line]_______
        H="Open New HTML Doc"
        ^!Open ^$GetTemplatePath$HTML.tpl
        _____[Copy above this line]______
        | right click over the clipbook |
        | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

        You can now create a series of templates for other HTML documents by
        following the example in the HTML.tpl file.

        To open the template as a regular document so that you can see how it was
        created go to the menu bar and select File/Template/Edit and select the
        HTML.tpl file and click ok. This will open the template as a regular
        document. Before you do any editing, open a new document and copy this
        file to it. Save with a new name such as HTML2.tpl into the template
        folder. Now you can edit the new document until your hearts desire to find
        out how to make the template work the way you want. When you get it the
        way you want, you can create another clip in your loader clipbook library
        using the new name "HTML2.tpl" to open it. And just repeat this process
        for all of the templates you want to have.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Edward
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
          Larry Thomas wrote:

          "To handle this anamoly - seems like the bug is shared 50-50 by Notetab and
          MozillaFirebird to me :-)
          I modified my script as follows:

          H="Choose Browser"
          :^!setdebug ON
          ^!set %currFile%=^**
          ^!set %theFile%=^?[File to open==^%currFile%]
          ;
          ;--long line start
          ^!set %theBrowser%=^?[Browser to
          use==Sleipnir|iRider|iRider_noDDE|SlimBrowser|IE|Opera|MozillaFirebird -brow
          ser|Mozilla|MozillaFirebird|_MyIE2|Lynx]
          ;--long line end
          ^!ifdiff ^$StrIndex(^%theFile%;2)$ : OpenBrowser
          ^!set %theFile%=file:///^%theFile%
          ^!set %theFile%=^$StrReplace("\";"/";^%theFile%;False;False)$
          :OpenBrowser
          ^!url [^%theBrowser%] ^%theFile%
          ;--end clip"

          I inserted it in MY CLIPS and it has the ! exclamation mark but it says
          it cannot find the path to Firebird. Now I do not know where to place
          the path to Firebird (even if I knew it, I can locate it) in the above
          clip.

          The hello clip it is solid red just as you said it would be, and in the
          information box. I see some possibilities there.

          The reason that I want the <p class=""></p> will be seen if you go to
          http://www.dhoyleeatonkennels.com/ and view source. You will see those
          tags throughout the page along with div class tags. These and other
          commonly tags commonly used, just need to be placed on the page when and
          where I want them. I will then add the text or paragraphs between them.
          Or as you suggest I could possible write the text and highlight it and
          click on the tags which would then be placed around the text.
          Thanks
          Ed
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
            Hi Ed,

            Maybe some of this might help...

            I did not read all the messages on this, but this seems to be the
            latest... The dots, exclamation marks, and lack of on certain
            Clip items can be controlled (be seen or not) from Options |
            Clipbook | Show Clip Icons. If all of them disappeared and just
            not the one, then I would check that setting. Help says: Show
            Clip Icons: Set this option to display little icons next to
            wrappable or executable Clip items. It means that an exclamation
            mark is used when there is some type of command in the Clip
            starting with "^!". The dot is used when it is just text to be
            pasted in when executing (clicking on) the Clip. The highlighted
            items, red by default means that it may contain information and
            when clicked upon a message box will appear. (A semi-colon is
            placed in front of the Clip name to create this effect. Commands
            and functions in the Clip will not execute if they are in this
            type of Clip. Furthermore, the text is shown the way it is
            formatted like if you leave a blank line in it then that will be
            how it appears in the popup.)

            You might create a template to see how the header works. The
            first line should look like the first below and the second if it
            contains Clip Code:

            = DocTemplate "%2d"
            = DocTemplate ClipCode "Page%0.3d.htm"

            (File | Template | Edit)

            You can change the tab name by reading in Help how to do it.

            >Under the Library HTML the first thing listed is HTML Template
            >(in RED) below that is a template that I could once click on and
            >a new HTML page template would open up. Now for some reason the
            >! is missing in front of the template "New Web Page" and it will
            >no longer function from that library. If I go into NoteTab Pro
            >and into the template folder it is there and will open up and
            >give me the new web page template. I would like to have the New
            >Web Page template operational from the HTML library. So what
            >would I need to do to make it work again?

            Take care,
            Jody Adair

            and even thou doest err some!
            http://clean-funnies.com
            http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
            http://sojourners-software.com
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
              Hi Ed,

              I looked at an earlier posting and it appears that what you are referring
              to as a template is really a clipbook library with the name HTML.clb. When
              I go to this library, the first clip there is the same as the one that I
              just posted with the name of "New Web Page". So you can use that as part
              of your model but as I said before, you need to create a new clipbook
              library and copy the clips to it so that you can play with them without
              risking the original libraries.

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê
            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                Edward,

                For quick information on the NoteTab file and directory structure and formats go to
                http://jimbow.com/
                and download "NoteTab Intro for Newbies"

                For quick information on the the different types of NoteTab "Clips" (macros or scripts) and what they do, and how to use them go to
                http://jimbow.com/
                and download "Basic Clip Basics"

                You can find more info on Clip Writing in the Help Menu and at:
                http://www.notetab.net/
                (All kinds of neat goodies)

                At 08:29 AM 11/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                >OK, I understand that I know nothing about clips and clip writing and I
                >am trying to learn at the places you suggest. However, the immediate
                >problem at hand is this.

              • Don Passenger
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                  > AH, nevermind after reading your email and looking in the clipbook
                  > program, I managed to drag the Template to Notepad where it opened up
                  > and I put it back where it belonged. Works as it should now. Thanks. The
                  > bright light has not lit up yet but the candle has been lit.. Perhaps
                  > working with a copy of this template I can get one to work the way I
                  > want it to. Thanks very much, Larry.
                  > Ed

                  Ed,

                  Templates are special animals and they can interact with clips which can
                  make it confusing. To work on a template, Ed, you have to do file /
                  template / open and then save it under a different name right away
                  before modifying it. They are very special files. They are also
                  powerful when you figure out what they do.
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                    At 03:03 PM 11/5/03 -0500, you wrote:
                    >Templates are special animals and they can interact with clips which can
                    >make it confusing. To work on a template, Ed, you have to do file /
                    >template / open and then save it under a different name right away
                    >before modifying it. They are very special files. They are also
                    >powerful when you figure out what they do.

                    Hi Don,

                    Actually going to the menu and selecting file/template/open will not allow
                    you to edit a template file. This action actually opens a new document
                    based on the template file. Opening the HTML template this way will open a
                    new HTML file ready for you to edit similar to the way the new file command
                    opens a new noname01.txt file.

                    To open the template files for editing, you should select
                    file/template/edit. To create a brand new template file select
                    file/template/new.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    lrt@... e¿ê
                  • Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 6, 2003
                      Yep, I knew what I wanted to say! I just didn't :-)
                      I meant edit of course.

                      If you open a template it does it's thing Ed.
                      Buy you can edit it. Click edit, immediately save under a diff. name
                      and then whack away. That way you don't affect the "real" template.