Re: [Clip] Clip Editor is Active???

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
      Larry Thomas wrote:

      A clip can be referred to as a template but NoteTab happens
      > to have a special feature that it uses to create document templates for
      > opening new documents as an example and people are going to be confused to
      > some extent about whether you are referring to a clip or to a template like
      > this.

      OK, I understand that I know nothing about clips and clip writing and I
      am trying to learn at the places you suggest. However, the immediate
      problem at hand is this.

      Under the Library HTML the first thing listed is HTML Template (in RED)
      below that is a template that I could once click on and a new HTML page
      template would open up. Now for some reason the ! is missing in front
      of the template "New Web Page" and it will no longer function from that
      library. If I go into NoteTab Pro and into the template folder it is
      there and will open up and give me the new web page template. I would
      like to have the New Web Page template operational from the HTML
      library. So what would I need to do to make it work again?

      I think it messed up when I created a new web page exactly as I wanted a
      template to be. I tried to save it as a template but that did not work
      for the reason I did not know how to save it other than cut and paste
      into the library using the method that Don had indicated would work. I
      must have misunderstood what he told me to do. I look at the Template
      that is in NoteTab to be a generic Template to be used to design and
      make a webpage from the beginning. But I have already designed the
      basic web page (template) that I want to use for a site and I would
      like to put it one of the libraries so when making a new page for a
      particular site, that page is there and ready to open and I just add the
      data that I want to appear on that page. And of course I would need to
      create a new template to be placed in the library for each website that
      I design.

      I foresee that in the future when I start to build a page with 5 - 200
      pages that I can use a special template that I designed for that web
      page with all the standard features that I want added to each page on a
      web site.

      That way when I start a new page many features such as link to a
      particular css page will be in the head section. The right color (s) in
      the right places. A time and date each time it is edited will be there,
      many such features as the Links to the other pages will be there in the
      correct place, etc. Much like the rubber stamp, just one click on the
      name of the site and that page is up and ready to be completed.

      That is the same reason that now I need to study clips for I want the
      special HTML tags that I use to be just one click away, for instance
      like the < p class=""></p> and there are several that will be in the css
      that I need to put in the library HTML -tags. I use many of these in
      nearly all my css pages that I build. And I am learning that the CSS
      page can be pretty much standardized to use on any site. So it might be
      nice to have CSS page in a library 98% complete and ready to be used on
      any site as well.

      There is so much in NoteTab all these things may be present but
      searching for them is time consuming while one learns the many features
      of this editor. Thanks for pointing me to the clip area for beginners
      but as I read it, I think I need a beginners area to learn how to
      understand the clips for beginners if you follow my drift. :-).

      Ed
    • Edward
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
        Edward wrote:

        > Under the Library HTML the first thing listed is HTML Template (in RED)
        > below that is a template that I could once click on and a new HTML page
        > template would open up. Now for some reason the ! is missing in front
        > of the template "New Web Page" and it will no longer function from that
        > library. If I go into NoteTab Pro and into the template folder it is
        > there and will open up and give me the new web page template. I would
        > like to have the New Web Page template operational from the HTML
        > library. So what would I need to do to make it work again?

        AH, nevermind after reading your email and looking in the clipbook
        program, I managed to drag the Template to Notepad where it opened up
        and I put it back where it belonged. Works as it should now. Thanks. The
        bright light has not lit up yet but the candle has been lit.. Perhaps
        working with a copy of this template I can get one to work the way I
        want it to. Thanks very much, Larry.
        Ed
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
          Hi Ed,

          At 08:29 AM 11/5/03 -0600, you wrote:
          >Larry Thomas wrote:
          >

          > A clip can be referred to as a template but NoteTab happens
          >> to have a special feature that it uses to create document templates for
          >> opening new documents as an example and people are going to be confused to
          >> some extent about whether you are referring to a clip or to a template like
          >> this.
          >>

          >OK, I understand that I know nothing about clips and clip writing and I
          >am trying to learn at the places you suggest. However, the immediate
          >problem at hand is this.

          It appears that you have made changes to the original template. You should
          avoid doing this because you may need to keep the original for a sample.
          If you have changed your original, you should reinstall NoteTab from your
          install copy to restore all of the templates and clipbook libraries that
          came with it. If you really need something that you entered into one of
          the libraries or templates, then rename them to a special name that will
          not be overwritten because it was not used by the original install program.

          Create your own clip library by clicking your left mouse button on the drop
          down list at the top of the clipbook panel on the left and selecting "new"
          and then enter the name you want to have the new library to have. Now
          follow the directions below and enter the clip below into your new library
          and when you run it, it will open a popup menu to create a new HTML
          document from the HTML template that Eric provided.

          ______[Copy below this line]_______
          H="Open New HTML Doc"
          ^!Open ^$GetTemplatePath$HTML.tpl
          _____[Copy above this line]______
          | right click over the clipbook |
          | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

          You can now create a series of templates for other HTML documents by
          following the example in the HTML.tpl file.

          To open the template as a regular document so that you can see how it was
          created go to the menu bar and select File/Template/Edit and select the
          HTML.tpl file and click ok. This will open the template as a regular
          document. Before you do any editing, open a new document and copy this
          file to it. Save with a new name such as HTML2.tpl into the template
          folder. Now you can edit the new document until your hearts desire to find
          out how to make the template work the way you want. When you get it the
          way you want, you can create another clip in your loader clipbook library
          using the new name "HTML2.tpl" to open it. And just repeat this process
          for all of the templates you want to have.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Edward
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
            Larry Thomas wrote:

            "To handle this anamoly - seems like the bug is shared 50-50 by Notetab and
            MozillaFirebird to me :-)
            I modified my script as follows:

            H="Choose Browser"
            :^!setdebug ON
            ^!set %currFile%=^**
            ^!set %theFile%=^?[File to open==^%currFile%]
            ;
            ;--long line start
            ^!set %theBrowser%=^?[Browser to
            use==Sleipnir|iRider|iRider_noDDE|SlimBrowser|IE|Opera|MozillaFirebird -brow
            ser|Mozilla|MozillaFirebird|_MyIE2|Lynx]
            ;--long line end
            ^!ifdiff ^$StrIndex(^%theFile%;2)$ : OpenBrowser
            ^!set %theFile%=file:///^%theFile%
            ^!set %theFile%=^$StrReplace("\";"/";^%theFile%;False;False)$
            :OpenBrowser
            ^!url [^%theBrowser%] ^%theFile%
            ;--end clip"

            I inserted it in MY CLIPS and it has the ! exclamation mark but it says
            it cannot find the path to Firebird. Now I do not know where to place
            the path to Firebird (even if I knew it, I can locate it) in the above
            clip.

            The hello clip it is solid red just as you said it would be, and in the
            information box. I see some possibilities there.

            The reason that I want the <p class=""></p> will be seen if you go to
            http://www.dhoyleeatonkennels.com/ and view source. You will see those
            tags throughout the page along with div class tags. These and other
            commonly tags commonly used, just need to be placed on the page when and
            where I want them. I will then add the text or paragraphs between them.
            Or as you suggest I could possible write the text and highlight it and
            click on the tags which would then be placed around the text.
            Thanks
            Ed
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
              Hi Ed,

              Maybe some of this might help...

              I did not read all the messages on this, but this seems to be the
              latest... The dots, exclamation marks, and lack of on certain
              Clip items can be controlled (be seen or not) from Options |
              Clipbook | Show Clip Icons. If all of them disappeared and just
              not the one, then I would check that setting. Help says: Show
              Clip Icons: Set this option to display little icons next to
              wrappable or executable Clip items. It means that an exclamation
              mark is used when there is some type of command in the Clip
              starting with "^!". The dot is used when it is just text to be
              pasted in when executing (clicking on) the Clip. The highlighted
              items, red by default means that it may contain information and
              when clicked upon a message box will appear. (A semi-colon is
              placed in front of the Clip name to create this effect. Commands
              and functions in the Clip will not execute if they are in this
              type of Clip. Furthermore, the text is shown the way it is
              formatted like if you leave a blank line in it then that will be
              how it appears in the popup.)

              You might create a template to see how the header works. The
              first line should look like the first below and the second if it
              contains Clip Code:

              = DocTemplate "%2d"
              = DocTemplate ClipCode "Page%0.3d.htm"

              (File | Template | Edit)

              You can change the tab name by reading in Help how to do it.

              >Under the Library HTML the first thing listed is HTML Template
              >(in RED) below that is a template that I could once click on and
              >a new HTML page template would open up. Now for some reason the
              >! is missing in front of the template "New Web Page" and it will
              >no longer function from that library. If I go into NoteTab Pro
              >and into the template folder it is there and will open up and
              >give me the new web page template. I would like to have the New
              >Web Page template operational from the HTML library. So what
              >would I need to do to make it work again?

              Take care,
              Jody Adair

              and even thou doest err some!
              http://clean-funnies.com
              http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
              http://sojourners-software.com
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                Hi Ed,

                I looked at an earlier posting and it appears that what you are referring
                to as a template is really a clipbook library with the name HTML.clb. When
                I go to this library, the first clip there is the same as the one that I
                just posted with the name of "New Web Page". So you can use that as part
                of your model but as I said before, you need to create a new clipbook
                library and copy the clips to it so that you can play with them without
                risking the original libraries.

                Regards,

                Larry
                lrt@... e¿ê
              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                  Edward,

                  For quick information on the NoteTab file and directory structure and formats go to
                  http://jimbow.com/
                  and download "NoteTab Intro for Newbies"

                  For quick information on the the different types of NoteTab "Clips" (macros or scripts) and what they do, and how to use them go to
                  http://jimbow.com/
                  and download "Basic Clip Basics"

                  You can find more info on Clip Writing in the Help Menu and at:
                  http://www.notetab.net/
                  (All kinds of neat goodies)

                  At 08:29 AM 11/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                  >OK, I understand that I know nothing about clips and clip writing and I
                  >am trying to learn at the places you suggest. However, the immediate
                  >problem at hand is this.

                • Don Passenger
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                    > AH, nevermind after reading your email and looking in the clipbook
                    > program, I managed to drag the Template to Notepad where it opened up
                    > and I put it back where it belonged. Works as it should now. Thanks. The
                    > bright light has not lit up yet but the candle has been lit.. Perhaps
                    > working with a copy of this template I can get one to work the way I
                    > want it to. Thanks very much, Larry.
                    > Ed

                    Ed,

                    Templates are special animals and they can interact with clips which can
                    make it confusing. To work on a template, Ed, you have to do file /
                    template / open and then save it under a different name right away
                    before modifying it. They are very special files. They are also
                    powerful when you figure out what they do.
                  • Larry Thomas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                      At 03:03 PM 11/5/03 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Templates are special animals and they can interact with clips which can
                      >make it confusing. To work on a template, Ed, you have to do file /
                      >template / open and then save it under a different name right away
                      >before modifying it. They are very special files. They are also
                      >powerful when you figure out what they do.

                      Hi Don,

                      Actually going to the menu and selecting file/template/open will not allow
                      you to edit a template file. This action actually opens a new document
                      based on the template file. Opening the HTML template this way will open a
                      new HTML file ready for you to edit similar to the way the new file command
                      opens a new noname01.txt file.

                      To open the template files for editing, you should select
                      file/template/edit. To create a brand new template file select
                      file/template/new.

                      Regards,

                      Larry
                      lrt@... e¿ê
                    • Don Passenger
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 6, 2003
                        Yep, I knew what I wanted to say! I just didn't :-)
                        I meant edit of course.

                        If you open a template it does it's thing Ed.
                        Buy you can edit it. Click edit, immediately save under a diff. name
                        and then whack away. That way you don't affect the "real" template.