Re: [Clip] Clip Editor is Active???

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
      Hi Ed,

      At 11:26 AM 11/4/03 -0600, you wrote:
      >= V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30
      >
      >H=";HTML Template"
      >

      >H="New Eaton Web Page"
      >

      >H="New Web page"
      >

      >H=";Document Elements"
      >Most of these elements are required within an HTML document for it to
      >conform to HTML standards.
      >

      >The above is what I see when I look into the HTML Template section of
      >the page. Now I get a message that the clip cannot be opened while the
      >clip editor is active. How do I de-activate the clip editor?
      >Ed

      You cannot run a clip when the clip editor has the focus unless you run it
      from the clipbar. Otherwise, you can simply click on any other document
      tab to switch away from the clip editor page and then you can run the clip.
      The clip will be applied to what ever document you have in focus so make
      sure that you have the documment you want to run the clip on
      selected/focused. That is, you should click on the tab of the document
      that you want the clip to work on to bring it to the front so that the clip
      will run on it.

      The reason that you see a bullet, is that your clips above do not contain
      any clip commands. In fact, all that I see above are clip headers with
      nothing below them.

      To enter a clip, type the header which is the H="Clip Name" part and then
      type in your clip commands below that. They will be run one line at a time
      until the clip finishes. If you only type in text then the clip will just
      treat it like a rubber stamp and enter it into your currently open document.

      H="Hello"
      Hello Edward. How are you?
      Today is Wedesday.

      It is raining.

      Now when you look at the clip above you will see a bullet which means that
      there are no clip commands in it. The bullet symbol refers to the rubber
      stamp function. If you run the clip above on an open document other than
      the clip editor window, it will insert the text just below it into the open
      document.

      H="p class"
      ^!SetPasteIndent Off
      ^!InsertHtml <p class="^&"></p>

      The clip above contains commands which always begin at the start of each
      line with the ^! character pair which preceeds each command. You can see
      that this clip has the ! symbol in the list instead of the bullet. This
      means that it has commands to be executed and not just text to be stamped
      into the current document. When you run it on an open document you must
      have some text selected. If you do not, it will just insert the text "<p
      class=""></p>" into the doument. If you select some text - lets say you
      select your own name int the document, it will insert the text "<p
      class="Edward"></p>" into the document at the current cursor position.

      The difference between:

      H="Hello"
      Hello Edward. How are you?
      Today is Wedesday.

      It is raining.

      And:

      H=";Hello"
      Hello Edward. How are you?
      Today is Wedesday.

      It is raining.

      Is that the first will will show with a bullet before the name in the list
      and it will stamp the text into the current document at the current cursor
      position. The second will not show anything before the name and it will be
      displayed in red in the list of names. When you run it, it will display
      the text below it in an information box which you can dismiss by clicking
      ok. Placing a semicolon at the beginning of the clip name does that.

      I hope that this helps. You really should read the section on clip
      programming in order to learn how to write the clips and copy them into
      your clipbooks from email so that you know better what you are doing. Also
      this will help you when asking for help on these lists. It is very hard to
      provide help when you ask for it in terms that nobody knows what you are
      referring to. A clip can be referred to as a template but NoteTab happens
      to have a special feature that it uses to create document templates for
      opening new documents as an example and people are going to be confused to
      some extent about whether you are referring to a clip or to a template like
      this.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Edward
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
        Larry Thomas wrote:

        A clip can be referred to as a template but NoteTab happens
        > to have a special feature that it uses to create document templates for
        > opening new documents as an example and people are going to be confused to
        > some extent about whether you are referring to a clip or to a template like
        > this.

        OK, I understand that I know nothing about clips and clip writing and I
        am trying to learn at the places you suggest. However, the immediate
        problem at hand is this.

        Under the Library HTML the first thing listed is HTML Template (in RED)
        below that is a template that I could once click on and a new HTML page
        template would open up. Now for some reason the ! is missing in front
        of the template "New Web Page" and it will no longer function from that
        library. If I go into NoteTab Pro and into the template folder it is
        there and will open up and give me the new web page template. I would
        like to have the New Web Page template operational from the HTML
        library. So what would I need to do to make it work again?

        I think it messed up when I created a new web page exactly as I wanted a
        template to be. I tried to save it as a template but that did not work
        for the reason I did not know how to save it other than cut and paste
        into the library using the method that Don had indicated would work. I
        must have misunderstood what he told me to do. I look at the Template
        that is in NoteTab to be a generic Template to be used to design and
        make a webpage from the beginning. But I have already designed the
        basic web page (template) that I want to use for a site and I would
        like to put it one of the libraries so when making a new page for a
        particular site, that page is there and ready to open and I just add the
        data that I want to appear on that page. And of course I would need to
        create a new template to be placed in the library for each website that
        I design.

        I foresee that in the future when I start to build a page with 5 - 200
        pages that I can use a special template that I designed for that web
        page with all the standard features that I want added to each page on a
        web site.

        That way when I start a new page many features such as link to a
        particular css page will be in the head section. The right color (s) in
        the right places. A time and date each time it is edited will be there,
        many such features as the Links to the other pages will be there in the
        correct place, etc. Much like the rubber stamp, just one click on the
        name of the site and that page is up and ready to be completed.

        That is the same reason that now I need to study clips for I want the
        special HTML tags that I use to be just one click away, for instance
        like the < p class=""></p> and there are several that will be in the css
        that I need to put in the library HTML -tags. I use many of these in
        nearly all my css pages that I build. And I am learning that the CSS
        page can be pretty much standardized to use on any site. So it might be
        nice to have CSS page in a library 98% complete and ready to be used on
        any site as well.

        There is so much in NoteTab all these things may be present but
        searching for them is time consuming while one learns the many features
        of this editor. Thanks for pointing me to the clip area for beginners
        but as I read it, I think I need a beginners area to learn how to
        understand the clips for beginners if you follow my drift. :-).

        Ed
      • Edward
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
          Edward wrote:

          > Under the Library HTML the first thing listed is HTML Template (in RED)
          > below that is a template that I could once click on and a new HTML page
          > template would open up. Now for some reason the ! is missing in front
          > of the template "New Web Page" and it will no longer function from that
          > library. If I go into NoteTab Pro and into the template folder it is
          > there and will open up and give me the new web page template. I would
          > like to have the New Web Page template operational from the HTML
          > library. So what would I need to do to make it work again?

          AH, nevermind after reading your email and looking in the clipbook
          program, I managed to drag the Template to Notepad where it opened up
          and I put it back where it belonged. Works as it should now. Thanks. The
          bright light has not lit up yet but the candle has been lit.. Perhaps
          working with a copy of this template I can get one to work the way I
          want it to. Thanks very much, Larry.
          Ed
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
            Hi Ed,

            At 08:29 AM 11/5/03 -0600, you wrote:
            >Larry Thomas wrote:
            >

            > A clip can be referred to as a template but NoteTab happens
            >> to have a special feature that it uses to create document templates for
            >> opening new documents as an example and people are going to be confused to
            >> some extent about whether you are referring to a clip or to a template like
            >> this.
            >>

            >OK, I understand that I know nothing about clips and clip writing and I
            >am trying to learn at the places you suggest. However, the immediate
            >problem at hand is this.

            It appears that you have made changes to the original template. You should
            avoid doing this because you may need to keep the original for a sample.
            If you have changed your original, you should reinstall NoteTab from your
            install copy to restore all of the templates and clipbook libraries that
            came with it. If you really need something that you entered into one of
            the libraries or templates, then rename them to a special name that will
            not be overwritten because it was not used by the original install program.

            Create your own clip library by clicking your left mouse button on the drop
            down list at the top of the clipbook panel on the left and selecting "new"
            and then enter the name you want to have the new library to have. Now
            follow the directions below and enter the clip below into your new library
            and when you run it, it will open a popup menu to create a new HTML
            document from the HTML template that Eric provided.

            ______[Copy below this line]_______
            H="Open New HTML Doc"
            ^!Open ^$GetTemplatePath$HTML.tpl
            _____[Copy above this line]______
            | right click over the clipbook |
            | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

            You can now create a series of templates for other HTML documents by
            following the example in the HTML.tpl file.

            To open the template as a regular document so that you can see how it was
            created go to the menu bar and select File/Template/Edit and select the
            HTML.tpl file and click ok. This will open the template as a regular
            document. Before you do any editing, open a new document and copy this
            file to it. Save with a new name such as HTML2.tpl into the template
            folder. Now you can edit the new document until your hearts desire to find
            out how to make the template work the way you want. When you get it the
            way you want, you can create another clip in your loader clipbook library
            using the new name "HTML2.tpl" to open it. And just repeat this process
            for all of the templates you want to have.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • Edward
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
              Larry Thomas wrote:

              "To handle this anamoly - seems like the bug is shared 50-50 by Notetab and
              MozillaFirebird to me :-)
              I modified my script as follows:

              H="Choose Browser"
              :^!setdebug ON
              ^!set %currFile%=^**
              ^!set %theFile%=^?[File to open==^%currFile%]
              ;
              ;--long line start
              ^!set %theBrowser%=^?[Browser to
              use==Sleipnir|iRider|iRider_noDDE|SlimBrowser|IE|Opera|MozillaFirebird -brow
              ser|Mozilla|MozillaFirebird|_MyIE2|Lynx]
              ;--long line end
              ^!ifdiff ^$StrIndex(^%theFile%;2)$ : OpenBrowser
              ^!set %theFile%=file:///^%theFile%
              ^!set %theFile%=^$StrReplace("\";"/";^%theFile%;False;False)$
              :OpenBrowser
              ^!url [^%theBrowser%] ^%theFile%
              ;--end clip"

              I inserted it in MY CLIPS and it has the ! exclamation mark but it says
              it cannot find the path to Firebird. Now I do not know where to place
              the path to Firebird (even if I knew it, I can locate it) in the above
              clip.

              The hello clip it is solid red just as you said it would be, and in the
              information box. I see some possibilities there.

              The reason that I want the <p class=""></p> will be seen if you go to
              http://www.dhoyleeatonkennels.com/ and view source. You will see those
              tags throughout the page along with div class tags. These and other
              commonly tags commonly used, just need to be placed on the page when and
              where I want them. I will then add the text or paragraphs between them.
              Or as you suggest I could possible write the text and highlight it and
              click on the tags which would then be placed around the text.
              Thanks
              Ed
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                Hi Ed,

                Maybe some of this might help...

                I did not read all the messages on this, but this seems to be the
                latest... The dots, exclamation marks, and lack of on certain
                Clip items can be controlled (be seen or not) from Options |
                Clipbook | Show Clip Icons. If all of them disappeared and just
                not the one, then I would check that setting. Help says: Show
                Clip Icons: Set this option to display little icons next to
                wrappable or executable Clip items. It means that an exclamation
                mark is used when there is some type of command in the Clip
                starting with "^!". The dot is used when it is just text to be
                pasted in when executing (clicking on) the Clip. The highlighted
                items, red by default means that it may contain information and
                when clicked upon a message box will appear. (A semi-colon is
                placed in front of the Clip name to create this effect. Commands
                and functions in the Clip will not execute if they are in this
                type of Clip. Furthermore, the text is shown the way it is
                formatted like if you leave a blank line in it then that will be
                how it appears in the popup.)

                You might create a template to see how the header works. The
                first line should look like the first below and the second if it
                contains Clip Code:

                = DocTemplate "%2d"
                = DocTemplate ClipCode "Page%0.3d.htm"

                (File | Template | Edit)

                You can change the tab name by reading in Help how to do it.

                >Under the Library HTML the first thing listed is HTML Template
                >(in RED) below that is a template that I could once click on and
                >a new HTML page template would open up. Now for some reason the
                >! is missing in front of the template "New Web Page" and it will
                >no longer function from that library. If I go into NoteTab Pro
                >and into the template folder it is there and will open up and
                >give me the new web page template. I would like to have the New
                >Web Page template operational from the HTML library. So what
                >would I need to do to make it work again?

                Take care,
                Jody Adair

                and even thou doest err some!
                http://clean-funnies.com
                http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                http://sojourners-software.com
              • Larry Thomas
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                  Hi Ed,

                  I looked at an earlier posting and it appears that what you are referring
                  to as a template is really a clipbook library with the name HTML.clb. When
                  I go to this library, the first clip there is the same as the one that I
                  just posted with the name of "New Web Page". So you can use that as part
                  of your model but as I said before, you need to create a new clipbook
                  library and copy the clips to it so that you can play with them without
                  risking the original libraries.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  lrt@... e¿ê
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                    Edward,

                    For quick information on the NoteTab file and directory structure and formats go to
                    http://jimbow.com/
                    and download "NoteTab Intro for Newbies"

                    For quick information on the the different types of NoteTab "Clips" (macros or scripts) and what they do, and how to use them go to
                    http://jimbow.com/
                    and download "Basic Clip Basics"

                    You can find more info on Clip Writing in the Help Menu and at:
                    http://www.notetab.net/
                    (All kinds of neat goodies)

                    At 08:29 AM 11/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                    >OK, I understand that I know nothing about clips and clip writing and I
                    >am trying to learn at the places you suggest. However, the immediate
                    >problem at hand is this.

                  • Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                      > AH, nevermind after reading your email and looking in the clipbook
                      > program, I managed to drag the Template to Notepad where it opened up
                      > and I put it back where it belonged. Works as it should now. Thanks. The
                      > bright light has not lit up yet but the candle has been lit.. Perhaps
                      > working with a copy of this template I can get one to work the way I
                      > want it to. Thanks very much, Larry.
                      > Ed

                      Ed,

                      Templates are special animals and they can interact with clips which can
                      make it confusing. To work on a template, Ed, you have to do file /
                      template / open and then save it under a different name right away
                      before modifying it. They are very special files. They are also
                      powerful when you figure out what they do.
                    • Larry Thomas
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
                        At 03:03 PM 11/5/03 -0500, you wrote:
                        >Templates are special animals and they can interact with clips which can
                        >make it confusing. To work on a template, Ed, you have to do file /
                        >template / open and then save it under a different name right away
                        >before modifying it. They are very special files. They are also
                        >powerful when you figure out what they do.

                        Hi Don,

                        Actually going to the menu and selecting file/template/open will not allow
                        you to edit a template file. This action actually opens a new document
                        based on the template file. Opening the HTML template this way will open a
                        new HTML file ready for you to edit similar to the way the new file command
                        opens a new noname01.txt file.

                        To open the template files for editing, you should select
                        file/template/edit. To create a brand new template file select
                        file/template/new.

                        Regards,

                        Larry
                        lrt@... e¿ê
                      • Don Passenger
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 6, 2003
                          Yep, I knew what I wanted to say! I just didn't :-)
                          I meant edit of course.

                          If you open a template it does it's thing Ed.
                          Buy you can edit it. Click edit, immediately save under a diff. name
                          and then whack away. That way you don't affect the "real" template.