Re: Re: [Clip] VT-type 'PF1' keystroke

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
      Jody:
      > I tried ^!Keyboard NumLock, but it does not work although there
      > is no error. If you can find the hexadecimal value it might work
      > for you. The following is from Help under the ^!Keyboard command
      > (in the ClipCode Help file - Help | Help on Clipbook Programming
      >> Index tab. (See the last example.) I have no idea what "VT-type
      > 'PF1'" means, so perhaps this is no help at all. <g>

      FWIW: VT-type refers to DEC Digital Equipment Corporation terminals used
      primarily with the VAX-VMS operating system. They all had PF (program
      function) keys PF1,PF2,PF3,PF4 sometimes refered to as GOLD, BLUE, (I forget
      the other two colors). In terms of functionality they differed from normal
      function keys in that if you hit PF1 key nothing gets initiated until the
      following key is hit.

      So to send PF1+A you could hit the PF1 key, release it and then hit the 'A"
      key. The lack of PF-style keys is one of the things I miss in Windows. By
      definition it gave 4*26 easy to use keyboard shortcuts (PF1-A, ..., PF4-Z).
      They were ideal for hunt-and-peck type keyboarders even though the
      comination of CTL, CTL+ALT, Shift+ALT, Shift+ALT+CTL gives as many combos
      all the special keys have to be held down simultaneously with the A, ..., Z.
      I haven't tried it, but I think Accessiblity options allows something
      similar - ie. tap CTRL key, release, tap A key gets treated as Ctrl+A

      The remainder of Eric's original question is greek to me though.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2003
        Jody:
        > > I have no idea what "VT-type 'PF1'" means, so
        > > perhaps this is no help at all. <g>

        Alec:
        > FWIW: VT-type refers to DEC Digital Equipment
        > Corporation terminals used primarily with the
        > VAX-VMS operating system. They all had PF
        > (program function) keys PF1,PF2,PF3,PF4
        <snip>
        > they differed from normal function keys in
        > that if you hit PF1 key nothing gets
        > initiated until the following key is hit.

        That's an excellent summary Alec, thanks! :) I could have been more
        clear with my original question though...

        I'll continue working on using the hex equivalents. I could be that
        the problem is not one which can be resolved by clip programming, but
        simply a limitation of the legacy hardware on which I'm working...

        Thanks again, Jody and Alec! :)

        - Eric