Re: [Clip] VT-type 'PF1' keystroke

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
      Hi Eric,

      I tried ^!Keyboard NumLock, but it does not work although there
      is no error. If you can find the hexadecimal value it might work
      for you. The following is from Help under the ^!Keyboard command
      (in the ClipCode Help file - Help | Help on Clipbook Programming
      | Index tab. (See the last example.) I have no idea what "VT-type
      'PF1'" means, so perhaps this is no help at all. <g>

      ^!Keyboard Keys
      Plays the specified key sequence within NoteTab. Use blank
      characters as delimiters between the keys to play. To specify
      plain text, wrap it with the # character. Characters can also be
      represented as hexadecimal values by using a $ symbol in front of
      the number. For example, $20 represents the spacebar character
      and $09 the tab key.

      Since version 4.6, the keyboard command supports delay settings
      between key instruction. The value represents milliseconds and
      should be preceded with the "&" symbol. Example: ^!Keyboard Alt+V
      O &1000 Ctrl+Tab &400 Ctrl+Tab

      Valid control keys are:
      CTRL, SHIFT, ALT (Add UP/DOWN suffix to hold button up or down respectively)
      Function keys:
      F1, F2, ..., F12
      Other keys:
      BACKSPACE, TAB, ENTER, ESC, SPACEBAR,
      PAGEUP, PAGEDOWN, END, HOME, LEFT, UP, RIGHT, DOWN,
      INSERT, DELETE, HELP

      Examples:
      ^!Keyboard CTRL+O #Hello World#
      and
      ^!Keyboard SHIFTDOWN RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT SHIFTUP
      and
      ^!Keyboard ALT+T S M
      and
      ^!Keyboard SHIFT+F2
      and
      ^!Keyboard $4E $6F $74 $65 $54 $61 $62

      >I've got a quick question, which I hope is being directed to the
      >proper list...
      >
      >I need to send a VT-100 type 'PF1' keystroke (this is the 'NUMLOCK'
      >key on a PC keyboard) from a clip, but can't see any way to do this
      >directly without using an escape-key sequence.
      >
      >I want to use NT to automate a repetitive edit task being run on a DEC
      >PDP-11. Access is via terminal emulator from my PC, specifically the
      >16-bit 'Dynacomm' app by Futuresoft. It's not an ideal emulator by any
      >stretch, but my company needs it to run a number of scripts which have
      >been in use for years.
      >
      >I've had a little bit of luck using the esc sequence "$1B $4F $50"
      >(i.e., "ESC O P"), but this doesn't seem to work reliably, even with a
      >long keyboard delay.
      >
      >I'd very much appreciate any advice on this. My current solution is to
      >map the PF1 key to F12 using Dynacomm's internal scripting, then have
      >NT send an F12 from the clip; this works, but seems overly
      >complicated. A dedicated PF1 keyboard key in NT would simplify my life
      >a good deal... :)
      >
      >Thanks!
      >
      >- Eric
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
        Jody:
        > I tried ^!Keyboard NumLock, but it does not work although there
        > is no error. If you can find the hexadecimal value it might work
        > for you. The following is from Help under the ^!Keyboard command
        > (in the ClipCode Help file - Help | Help on Clipbook Programming
        >> Index tab. (See the last example.) I have no idea what "VT-type
        > 'PF1'" means, so perhaps this is no help at all. <g>

        FWIW: VT-type refers to DEC Digital Equipment Corporation terminals used
        primarily with the VAX-VMS operating system. They all had PF (program
        function) keys PF1,PF2,PF3,PF4 sometimes refered to as GOLD, BLUE, (I forget
        the other two colors). In terms of functionality they differed from normal
        function keys in that if you hit PF1 key nothing gets initiated until the
        following key is hit.

        So to send PF1+A you could hit the PF1 key, release it and then hit the 'A"
        key. The lack of PF-style keys is one of the things I miss in Windows. By
        definition it gave 4*26 easy to use keyboard shortcuts (PF1-A, ..., PF4-Z).
        They were ideal for hunt-and-peck type keyboarders even though the
        comination of CTL, CTL+ALT, Shift+ALT, Shift+ALT+CTL gives as many combos
        all the special keys have to be held down simultaneously with the A, ..., Z.
        I haven't tried it, but I think Accessiblity options allows something
        similar - ie. tap CTRL key, release, tap A key gets treated as Ctrl+A

        The remainder of Eric's original question is greek to me though.

        Regards ... Alec

        > Plays the specified key sequence within NoteTab. Use blank
        > characters as delimiters between the keys to play. To specify
        > plain text, wrap it with the # character. Characters can also be
        > represented as hexadecimal values by using a $ symbol in front of
        > the number. For example, $20 represents the spacebar character
        > and $09 the tab key.
        >
        > Since version 4.6, the keyboard command supports delay settings
        > between key instruction. The value represents milliseconds and
        > should be preceded with the "&" symbol. Example: ^!Keyboard Alt+V
        > O &1000 Ctrl+Tab &400 Ctrl+Tab
        >
        > Valid control keys are:
        > CTRL, SHIFT, ALT (Add UP/DOWN suffix to hold button up or down
        > respectively) Function keys:
        > F1, F2, ..., F12
        > Other keys:
        > BACKSPACE, TAB, ENTER, ESC, SPACEBAR,
        > PAGEUP, PAGEDOWN, END, HOME, LEFT, UP, RIGHT, DOWN,
        > INSERT, DELETE, HELP
        >
        > Examples:
        > ^!Keyboard CTRL+O #Hello World#
        > and
        > ^!Keyboard SHIFTDOWN RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT SHIFTUP
        > and
        > ^!Keyboard ALT+T S M
        > and
        > ^!Keyboard SHIFT+F2
        > and
        > ^!Keyboard $4E $6F $74 $65 $54 $61 $62
        >
        >> I've got a quick question, which I hope is being directed to the
        >> proper list...
        >>
        >> I need to send a VT-100 type 'PF1' keystroke (this is the 'NUMLOCK'
        >> key on a PC keyboard) from a clip, but can't see any way to do this
        >> directly without using an escape-key sequence.
        >>
        >> I want to use NT to automate a repetitive edit task being run on a
        >> DEC PDP-11. Access is via terminal emulator from my PC, specifically
        >> the 16-bit 'Dynacomm' app by Futuresoft. It's not an ideal emulator
        >> by any stretch, but my company needs it to run a number of scripts
        >> which have been in use for years.
        >>
        >> I've had a little bit of luck using the esc sequence "$1B $4F $50"
        >> (i.e., "ESC O P"), but this doesn't seem to work reliably, even with
        >> a long keyboard delay.
        >>
        >> I'd very much appreciate any advice on this. My current solution is
        >> to map the PF1 key to F12 using Dynacomm's internal scripting, then
        >> have NT send an F12 from the clip; this works, but seems overly
        >> complicated. A dedicated PF1 keyboard key in NT would simplify my
        >> life a good deal... :)
      • Eric Anders Rowe
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2003
          Jody:
          > > I have no idea what "VT-type 'PF1'" means, so
          > > perhaps this is no help at all. <g>

          Alec:
          > FWIW: VT-type refers to DEC Digital Equipment
          > Corporation terminals used primarily with the
          > VAX-VMS operating system. They all had PF
          > (program function) keys PF1,PF2,PF3,PF4
          <snip>
          > they differed from normal function keys in
          > that if you hit PF1 key nothing gets
          > initiated until the following key is hit.

          That's an excellent summary Alec, thanks! :) I could have been more
          clear with my original question though...

          I'll continue working on using the hex equivalents. I could be that
          the problem is not one which can be resolved by clip programming, but
          simply a limitation of the legacy hardware on which I'm working...

          Thanks again, Jody and Alec! :)

          - Eric