VT-type 'PF1' keystroke

  • Eric Anders Rowe
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
      Hi Folks,

      I've got a quick question, which I hope is being directed to the
      proper list...

      I need to send a VT-100 type 'PF1' keystroke (this is the 'NUMLOCK'
      key on a PC keyboard) from a clip, but can't see any way to do this
      directly without using an escape-key sequence.

      I want to use NT to automate a repetitive edit task being run on a DEC
      PDP-11. Access is via terminal emulator from my PC, specifically the
      16-bit 'Dynacomm' app by Futuresoft. It's not an ideal emulator by any
      stretch, but my company needs it to run a number of scripts which have
      been in use for years.

      I've had a little bit of luck using the esc sequence "$1B $4F $50"
      (i.e., "ESC O P"), but this doesn't seem to work reliably, even with a
      long keyboard delay.

      I'd very much appreciate any advice on this. My current solution is to
      map the PF1 key to F12 using Dynacomm's internal scripting, then have
      NT send an F12 from the clip; this works, but seems overly
      complicated. A dedicated PF1 keyboard key in NT would simplify my life
      a good deal... :)

      Thanks!

      - Eric
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
        Hi Eric,

        I tried ^!Keyboard NumLock, but it does not work although there
        is no error. If you can find the hexadecimal value it might work
        for you. The following is from Help under the ^!Keyboard command
        (in the ClipCode Help file - Help | Help on Clipbook Programming
        | Index tab. (See the last example.) I have no idea what "VT-type
        'PF1'" means, so perhaps this is no help at all. <g>

        ^!Keyboard Keys
        Plays the specified key sequence within NoteTab. Use blank
        characters as delimiters between the keys to play. To specify
        plain text, wrap it with the # character. Characters can also be
        represented as hexadecimal values by using a $ symbol in front of
        the number. For example, $20 represents the spacebar character
        and $09 the tab key.

        Since version 4.6, the keyboard command supports delay settings
        between key instruction. The value represents milliseconds and
        should be preceded with the "&" symbol. Example: ^!Keyboard Alt+V
        O &1000 Ctrl+Tab &400 Ctrl+Tab

        Valid control keys are:
        CTRL, SHIFT, ALT (Add UP/DOWN suffix to hold button up or down respectively)
        Function keys:
        F1, F2, ..., F12
        Other keys:
        BACKSPACE, TAB, ENTER, ESC, SPACEBAR,
        PAGEUP, PAGEDOWN, END, HOME, LEFT, UP, RIGHT, DOWN,
        INSERT, DELETE, HELP

        Examples:
        ^!Keyboard CTRL+O #Hello World#
        and
        ^!Keyboard SHIFTDOWN RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT SHIFTUP
        and
        ^!Keyboard ALT+T S M
        and
        ^!Keyboard SHIFT+F2
        and
        ^!Keyboard $4E $6F $74 $65 $54 $61 $62

        >I've got a quick question, which I hope is being directed to the
        >proper list...
        >
        >I need to send a VT-100 type 'PF1' keystroke (this is the 'NUMLOCK'
        >key on a PC keyboard) from a clip, but can't see any way to do this
        >directly without using an escape-key sequence.
        >
        >I want to use NT to automate a repetitive edit task being run on a DEC
        >PDP-11. Access is via terminal emulator from my PC, specifically the
        >16-bit 'Dynacomm' app by Futuresoft. It's not an ideal emulator by any
        >stretch, but my company needs it to run a number of scripts which have
        >been in use for years.
        >
        >I've had a little bit of luck using the esc sequence "$1B $4F $50"
        >(i.e., "ESC O P"), but this doesn't seem to work reliably, even with a
        >long keyboard delay.
        >
        >I'd very much appreciate any advice on this. My current solution is to
        >map the PF1 key to F12 using Dynacomm's internal scripting, then have
        >NT send an F12 from the clip; this works, but seems overly
        >complicated. A dedicated PF1 keyboard key in NT would simplify my life
        >a good deal... :)
        >
        >Thanks!
        >
        >- Eric
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
          Jody:
          > I tried ^!Keyboard NumLock, but it does not work although there
          > is no error. If you can find the hexadecimal value it might work
          > for you. The following is from Help under the ^!Keyboard command
          > (in the ClipCode Help file - Help | Help on Clipbook Programming
          >> Index tab. (See the last example.) I have no idea what "VT-type
          > 'PF1'" means, so perhaps this is no help at all. <g>

          FWIW: VT-type refers to DEC Digital Equipment Corporation terminals used
          primarily with the VAX-VMS operating system. They all had PF (program
          function) keys PF1,PF2,PF3,PF4 sometimes refered to as GOLD, BLUE, (I forget
          the other two colors). In terms of functionality they differed from normal
          function keys in that if you hit PF1 key nothing gets initiated until the
          following key is hit.

          So to send PF1+A you could hit the PF1 key, release it and then hit the 'A"
          key. The lack of PF-style keys is one of the things I miss in Windows. By
          definition it gave 4*26 easy to use keyboard shortcuts (PF1-A, ..., PF4-Z).
          They were ideal for hunt-and-peck type keyboarders even though the
          comination of CTL, CTL+ALT, Shift+ALT, Shift+ALT+CTL gives as many combos
          all the special keys have to be held down simultaneously with the A, ..., Z.
          I haven't tried it, but I think Accessiblity options allows something
          similar - ie. tap CTRL key, release, tap A key gets treated as Ctrl+A

          The remainder of Eric's original question is greek to me though.

          Regards ... Alec

          > Plays the specified key sequence within NoteTab. Use blank
          > characters as delimiters between the keys to play. To specify
          > plain text, wrap it with the # character. Characters can also be
          > represented as hexadecimal values by using a $ symbol in front of
          > the number. For example, $20 represents the spacebar character
          > and $09 the tab key.
          >
          > Since version 4.6, the keyboard command supports delay settings
          > between key instruction. The value represents milliseconds and
          > should be preceded with the "&" symbol. Example: ^!Keyboard Alt+V
          > O &1000 Ctrl+Tab &400 Ctrl+Tab
          >
          > Valid control keys are:
          > CTRL, SHIFT, ALT (Add UP/DOWN suffix to hold button up or down
          > respectively) Function keys:
          > F1, F2, ..., F12
          > Other keys:
          > BACKSPACE, TAB, ENTER, ESC, SPACEBAR,
          > PAGEUP, PAGEDOWN, END, HOME, LEFT, UP, RIGHT, DOWN,
          > INSERT, DELETE, HELP
          >
          > Examples:
          > ^!Keyboard CTRL+O #Hello World#
          > and
          > ^!Keyboard SHIFTDOWN RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT SHIFTUP
          > and
          > ^!Keyboard ALT+T S M
          > and
          > ^!Keyboard SHIFT+F2
          > and
          > ^!Keyboard $4E $6F $74 $65 $54 $61 $62
          >
          >> I've got a quick question, which I hope is being directed to the
          >> proper list...
          >>
          >> I need to send a VT-100 type 'PF1' keystroke (this is the 'NUMLOCK'
          >> key on a PC keyboard) from a clip, but can't see any way to do this
          >> directly without using an escape-key sequence.
          >>
          >> I want to use NT to automate a repetitive edit task being run on a
          >> DEC PDP-11. Access is via terminal emulator from my PC, specifically
          >> the 16-bit 'Dynacomm' app by Futuresoft. It's not an ideal emulator
          >> by any stretch, but my company needs it to run a number of scripts
          >> which have been in use for years.
          >>
          >> I've had a little bit of luck using the esc sequence "$1B $4F $50"
          >> (i.e., "ESC O P"), but this doesn't seem to work reliably, even with
          >> a long keyboard delay.
          >>
          >> I'd very much appreciate any advice on this. My current solution is
          >> to map the PF1 key to F12 using Dynacomm's internal scripting, then
          >> have NT send an F12 from the clip; this works, but seems overly
          >> complicated. A dedicated PF1 keyboard key in NT would simplify my
          >> life a good deal... :)
        • Eric Anders Rowe
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2003
            Jody:
            > > I have no idea what "VT-type 'PF1'" means, so
            > > perhaps this is no help at all. <g>

            Alec:
            > FWIW: VT-type refers to DEC Digital Equipment
            > Corporation terminals used primarily with the
            > VAX-VMS operating system. They all had PF
            > (program function) keys PF1,PF2,PF3,PF4
            <snip>
            > they differed from normal function keys in
            > that if you hit PF1 key nothing gets
            > initiated until the following key is hit.

            That's an excellent summary Alec, thanks! :) I could have been more
            clear with my original question though...

            I'll continue working on using the hex equivalents. I could be that
            the problem is not one which can be resolved by clip programming, but
            simply a limitation of the legacy hardware on which I'm working...

            Thanks again, Jody and Alec! :)

            - Eric