Re: [Clip] Simple ^!Replace for smartquotes

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2003
      Hi Todd,

      At 03:06 AM 9/16/03 -0000, you wrote:
      >... well, now THAT was fun!
      >I tried it. Don't try it. It runs REPLACE.EXE in Windows ... Over,
      >and over, and over, and over .... oops.
      >
      >Hmmm, that's the syntax indicated by Fookes.... soooo what else can
      >I do?

      I have an old version of DOS which has Replace.exe in the C:\DOS folder.
      It is not in my PATH statement and it is not installed in the applications
      section of the Windows registry. The result is that it does not run when I
      run the ^!Replace command. Only the clip parser version in NoteTab acts on
      this command.

      You have shown me something that I had not previously though about. The
      normal function of the clip parser is to run programs in windows if you
      enter the program name after the command identifier (^!). An example is to
      run the Windows calculator, you enter ^!Calc.exe into a clip and every time
      you run the clip, the calculator will be launched. I never realized that a
      command that had the same name as a NoteTab command would be launched
      rather than using NoteTab's clip parser commands. Eric, do you have any
      comments about this????

      I am not totally sure what you could do but I would suggest relocating the
      Replace.exe file to a different folder that is not in your PATH statement.
      If you do not have a PATH statement set up in your Autoexec.bat file (the
      newer versions of Windows does not require that you have a PATH statement
      or anything else in the autoexec.bat file), you might try renaming the
      Replace.exe file to something else. Example: Replace01.exr. This will
      allow you to still use it by using the new name in DOS when you want to run
      it and NoteTab will not activate it because it will not find it.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê