also ntb-scripts commandline @ARGV was Interfacing w/ Perl; arguments

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2003
      On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:27:54 -0000, thedarknesscalling wrote:
      [ . . ]
      > [ . . ] how can i pass information from
      > notetab to a perl script.

      This is material for the ntb-scripts list on yahoo groups.

      NoteTab, Perl, and the commandline integrate rather well.

      As easy as you can pass something from NoteTab to the commandline, you can pass something from NoteTab to Perl *via the commandline.

      @ARGV (a certain perl array) is perl's container, holds whatever had been passed to perl as arguement(s)

      perl myperlscript.pl file2beactedon

      notice above 3 paramters, each of the three separated by a space. That's a commandline. At runtime, the third or last parameter (your desired file to be processed by perl) will be in @ARGV and your desired file will get acted upon according to whatever your code is in your myperlscript.pl file (perl code in that script file tells the Perl interpreter what to do to your desired to be acted upon file).

      1 caveat: since space is the delimiter for @ARGV, no space allowed in a file path/name. A regex easy workaround can get around this though easily enough; I've done so myself. To do so, In ntb just replace file path/name space with tilde then very first thing in perl script do a perl regex upon @ARGV substitute tilde with space. It works.

      In addition to Notetab's several help files, look in samplecode and utilities each a native clip library. Also search this clips list the archives for: clipclass

      That's Jody Adair's clipclass

      There's several or more ntb to perl interface clips already made look on the notetab clip repository web pages. Might also be some more in the files area of the ntb-scripts group on yahoo groups.

      basics of perl somewhere (google search for perl basics?): commandline; pass arguements; @ARGV

      --
      Alan
    • thedarknesscalling
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2003
        Ah Hah,

        So Notetab interfaces with the commandline. I was unaware of this
        fact. That makes life much simpler.

        Thanks for the help. :)