RE: [Clip] How do I define a custom hot key to run a clip?

  • Jamal Mazrui
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
      In reflecting on this further, it is puzzling to me that, given the
      programmability of this editor, there seems to be no way of configuring
      a hot key that runs a Clip without defining a desktop shortcut, which
      would, of course, block the use of that key combination in applications
      other than NoteTab Pro.

      I wonder if I'm not fully understanding the various Clipbook menu
      options, since I use a screen reader utility as a blind person and find
      that not all the menus read well. Is there no sequence of menu options
      that can lead to the selection and invocation of a particular Clip via
      the shortcuts.dat file?

      Two hot keys I'd like to define are Control+PageDown and Control+PageUp
      to navigate to the next/previous hard page break (formfeed) character in
      a document.

      To be honest, I'm evaluating Note Tab Pro and the ability to define hot
      keys is central to my decision about whether to register the program. I
      find that it has a lot of great features. I happen to need this one,
      however, if I am to switch from another text editor and make NoteTab my
      primary one.

      Regards,
      Jamal

      Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:17 -0000
      From: "hugo_paulissen" <H.Paulissen@blabla>
      To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com

      > that the user could really have a big problem finding a hot key
      sequence
      > that was not already being used.
      >
      > In the mean time, you can use the clipbar feature if you have
      NoteTab Pro
      > or NoteTab Std and then all you have to do is click on the custom
      clipbar
      > button that you create for your special clip.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Larry

      Jamal, Larry,

      Alternatively you could create a shortcut to Notetab, and assign a
      shortcut key (for example CTRL+ALT+0) in the properties of that
      shortcut:

      "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /L=Tour:OpenFile

      Will open NoteTab and run the clip OpenFile in the Tour-library. If
      NoteTab is open it will just run the specified clip,

      HTH,

      Hugo

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • hugo_paulissen
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
        > Is there no sequence of menu options
        > that can lead to the selection and invocation of a particular Clip
        via
        > the shortcuts.dat file?

        Hi Jamal,

        We all agree that this would be a real freature for a future version.
        I think that this is hard or impossible to do, in the current
        version. There may be other possibilities but you could think of
        using the Escape key to invoke the "in-context clipbook". With the
        use of smart names you could easily select a clip to be run with a
        couple of keyboard strokes (however, they require the ENTER key to be
        pressed).

        Suppose you have a clipbook with a bunch of clips (a preview follows
        at the end of this message)... Now, with the key "Esc-1-Enter" you
        would run the first clip, in this case it finds the previous
        PageBreak after which it jumps to the beginning of the next line;
        whereas "Esc-2-Enter" would find the next Pagebreak.

        H="1 - Previous Pagebreak"
        ^!Find ^B TIB
        ^!Find ^B TIB
        ^!Jump +1

        H="2 - Next PageBreak"
        ^!Find ^B TI
        ^!Jump +1

        Maybe this will give you some ideas to play with. If you would have
        the two clips as the first and the last in your clipbook you could
        actually use "Esc-CTRL+PAGEUP-ENTER" and "Esc-CTRL+PAGEDOWN-ENTER" as
        an alternative for real shortcuts...

        HTH,

        Hugo