Re: [Clip] How do I define a custom hot key to run a clip?

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2003
      At 03:11 PM 8/28/03 -0400, you wrote:
      >I've been unable to figure out how to define a key combination, e.g.,
      >Control+F12, which runs a clip in a particular library. I know that the
      >shortcuts.dat file can define hot keys to run a sequence of menu
      >commands, but have not found an example or explanation of running a
      >clip. I want to define a hot key to run a compiler against the code in
      >a NoteTab Pro document, display the results in a window, and then easily
      >go to the line that produced an error.
      >
      >Is this possible?
      >
      >Regards,
      >Jamal

      Hi Jamal,

      Eric has not provided such a feature in NoteTab. He might do it in the up
      coming version 5.0 but I am not sure of that. One of the problems is that
      there are so very many shortcut keys already defined for NoteTab's various
      features such as Joining/Splitting lines, Formatting Text, doing math, etc
      that the user could really have a big problem finding a hot key sequence
      that was not already being used.

      In the mean time, you can use the clipbar feature if you have NoteTab Pro
      or NoteTab Std and then all you have to do is click on the custom clipbar
      button that you create for your special clip.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • hugo_paulissen
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2003
        I got this in my inbox this morning - strange, since I simply used
        the web to reply to the original message...

        Answer follows below the message from Yahoo,

        --------------------------------

        Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following
        address.

        <ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com>:
        Remote host said: 554 this message violates our delivery policy which
        disallows Bcc's (#5.7.1)

        Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:17 -0000
        From: "hugo_paulissen" <H.Paulissen@blabla>
        To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [Clip] How do I define a custom hot key to run a clip?

        > that the user could really have a big problem finding a hot key
        sequence
        > that was not already being used.
        >
        > In the mean time, you can use the clipbar feature if you have
        NoteTab Pro
        > or NoteTab Std and then all you have to do is click on the custom
        clipbar
        > button that you create for your special clip.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Larry

        Jamal, Larry,

        Alternatively you could create a shortcut to Notetab, and assign a
        shortcut key (for example CTRL+ALT+0) in the properties of that
        shortcut:

        "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /L=Tour:OpenFile

        Will open NoteTab and run the clip OpenFile in the Tour-library. If
        NoteTab is open it will just run the specified clip,

        HTH,

        Hugo
      • Jamal Mazrui
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2003
          Thanks for your response!
          Jamal

          Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:17 -0000
          From: "hugo_paulissen" <H.Paulissen@blabla>
          To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com

          > that the user could really have a big problem finding a hot key
          sequence
          > that was not already being used.
          >
          > In the mean time, you can use the clipbar feature if you have
          NoteTab Pro
          > or NoteTab Std and then all you have to do is click on the custom
          clipbar
          > button that you create for your special clip.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Larry

          Jamal, Larry,

          Alternatively you could create a shortcut to Notetab, and assign a
          shortcut key (for example CTRL+ALT+0) in the properties of that
          shortcut:

          "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /L=Tour:OpenFile

          Will open NoteTab and run the clip OpenFile in the Tour-library. If
          NoteTab is open it will just run the specified clip,

          HTH,

          Hugo

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Jamal Mazrui
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
            In reflecting on this further, it is puzzling to me that, given the
            programmability of this editor, there seems to be no way of configuring
            a hot key that runs a Clip without defining a desktop shortcut, which
            would, of course, block the use of that key combination in applications
            other than NoteTab Pro.

            I wonder if I'm not fully understanding the various Clipbook menu
            options, since I use a screen reader utility as a blind person and find
            that not all the menus read well. Is there no sequence of menu options
            that can lead to the selection and invocation of a particular Clip via
            the shortcuts.dat file?

            Two hot keys I'd like to define are Control+PageDown and Control+PageUp
            to navigate to the next/previous hard page break (formfeed) character in
            a document.

            To be honest, I'm evaluating Note Tab Pro and the ability to define hot
            keys is central to my decision about whether to register the program. I
            find that it has a lot of great features. I happen to need this one,
            however, if I am to switch from another text editor and make NoteTab my
            primary one.

            Regards,
            Jamal

            Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:17 -0000
            From: "hugo_paulissen" <H.Paulissen@blabla>
            To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
              > Is there no sequence of menu options
              > that can lead to the selection and invocation of a particular Clip
              via
              > the shortcuts.dat file?

              Hi Jamal,

              We all agree that this would be a real freature for a future version.
              I think that this is hard or impossible to do, in the current
              version. There may be other possibilities but you could think of
              using the Escape key to invoke the "in-context clipbook". With the
              use of smart names you could easily select a clip to be run with a
              couple of keyboard strokes (however, they require the ENTER key to be
              pressed).

              Suppose you have a clipbook with a bunch of clips (a preview follows
              at the end of this message)... Now, with the key "Esc-1-Enter" you
              would run the first clip, in this case it finds the previous
              PageBreak after which it jumps to the beginning of the next line;
              whereas "Esc-2-Enter" would find the next Pagebreak.

              H="1 - Previous Pagebreak"
              ^!Find ^B TIB
              ^!Find ^B TIB
              ^!Jump +1

              H="2 - Next PageBreak"
              ^!Find ^B TI
              ^!Jump +1

              Maybe this will give you some ideas to play with. If you would have
              the two clips as the first and the last in your clipbook you could
              actually use "Esc-CTRL+PAGEUP-ENTER" and "Esc-CTRL+PAGEDOWN-ENTER" as
              an alternative for real shortcuts...

              HTH,

              Hugo