RE: [Clip] DestroyDoc

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
      Hi John,

      >Whew! Thanks so much for the wealth of information. This clip is
      >now in my library.

      Just a friendly reminder to delete the text that is not needed to
      understand your reply. TIA No apologies needed. :-)

      > H="UUD kwik"
      > ;_Modified~Updated~Created_7/30/03_11:12:16a
      > ;_hsavage@...

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

      UnSubscribe, Options
      mailto:ntb-Clips-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 10, 2003
        Hi John and Harvey,

        I am just posting this clip to show what a person (me) can learn by
        exploring somebody else's ideas of doing things. I replied with "There is
        no way of doing wildcards in NoteTab that I know of.". Well, I have
        certainly learned better now. The previous clip did not do what you said
        you wanted to do because I could not think of a way to use wildcards on the
        open documents so I though that was the best that I was going to be able to
        do. Then yesterday Don Don Daugherty posted another reply to another post
        and he used the command ^!IfMatch in his reply. That put a bee in my
        bonnet and I started thinking really hard about it and you know, I found
        that I could use it to write a clip that does exactly what you wrote about
        on open documents in NoteTab.

        First the clip uses ^!Document Last to go to the last open document tab in
        the open documents. Next, the ^!IfMatch line tests the file name against
        your pattern which you enter into a wizard set up in it to see if the file
        name matches. It does not use wildcards the way you listed but it does use
        regular expressions which are similar to DOS wildcards. You can enter your
        examples of A483AR*.log or A483AR*.rpt as A483AR.*\.log or A483AR.*\.rpt
        which will get the result you are looking for. Then the clip will
        ^!DestroyDoc on the open document which will remove the document from the
        list of tabs and move the focus to the previous tab if the pattern is found
        or it will branch to ^!Document Prev which will move the focus to the
        previous document tab if the pattern does not match. Then the clip checks
        the document index position to see if it is on the first open document tab.
        If it is, it goes to the finish routine and checks the document to see if
        it should be deleted and deletes it or not and then quits. If it is not
        the first document tab, the clip loops back for the next open document and
        keeps looping until it reaches the first document tab and then processes it
        and quits.

        Here is the clip - Only 14 lines long:

        Just Modify/Join the two long lines and remove the long line markers and
        add it to your library to use it. I have tested it using ^!Close instead
        of ^!DestroyDoc and it works. I used ^!DestroyDoc with no parameters on
        individual open documents and it sends the documents to the recycle bin,
        removes them from the open tabs, and moves the tab focus back to the
        previous document. ^!Close does the same as ^!DestroyDoc but it does not
        send the document to the recycle bin so I thought that was good enough to
        use for testing purposes and when I used it, it workded the way I wanted it
        to.

        ______[Copy below this line]_______
        H="Test IfMatch"
        ;lrt@... e¿ê
        ;08/10/2003, 04:14:23 PM
        ^!SetScreenupdate 0
        ^!Document Last
        :Loop
        ;
        ^!IfMatch "^?[Enter RegExp Pattern (Pattern.*\.Ext)=]"
        "^$GetFileName(^**)$" Next ELSE PrevDoc
        ;
        ^!DestroyDoc
        ^!Goto Loop
        :PrevDoc
        ^!Document Prev
        ^!If ^$GetDocIndex$ = 1 Finish ELSE Next
        ^!Goto Loop
        :Finish
        ;
        ^!IfMatch "^?[Enter RegExp Pattern (Pattern.*\.Ext)=]"
        "^$GetFileName(^**)$" Next ELSE Exit
        ;
        ^!DestroyDoc
        _____[Copy above this line]______
        | right click over the clipbook |
        | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

        My point here is that you helped me learn something new about NoteTab's
        programing that I did not know by asking your question. Thank you very
        much for the experience. This is something that I can use on clips that I
        am thinking about writing for my own personal use.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Wright, John - Textron Financial
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 11, 2003
          Larry,
          I like it, it's very elegent. One problem, I'm getting a syntax error on the
          Match statement. I'm sure it must be something I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's
          what I'm entering into the wizzard, but I've tried every combination I can
          think of.
          I did join the two portions of the long lines before attempting to run it.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 2003
            At 09:46 AM 8/11/03 -0400, you wrote:
            >Larry,
            >I like it, it's very elegent. One problem, I'm getting a syntax error on the
            >Match statement. I'm sure it must be something I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's
            >what I'm entering into the wizzard, but I've tried every combination I can
            >think of.
            >I did join the two portions of the long lines before attempting to run it.

            You must use regular expressions for your patterns when entering patterns.
            In regular expressions, a period is a meta character and it is interpreted
            as "any" character except for a newline <cr/lf> pair. An asterisk (*)
            means zero or more occurences of the previous character and a back slash
            (\) is an escape character which cause the pattern to treat the next
            character as a litteral character. Without the back slash, the period is
            treated as a meta character by the regexp search engine but with the back
            slash just before the period or any other meta character, the meta
            character is treated as just a plain text character. A \. os just a period
            and \* is just an asterisk. The exception to this rule are the special
            situations set for special characters (\n for newline, \s for a space, and
            \t for a tab).

            You can find help for using NoteTab's regexp patterns by going to Help/Help
            Topics/Reference Information/Dialog boxes/Regular Expressions.

            There is one other problem that I have found. When you set a pattern to
            find all files and recycle them, the clip will not stop without preessing
            and holding the Ctrl+Alt Keys. I fixed this by moving the line:

            ^!If ^$GetDocIndex$ = 1 Finish ELSE Next

            From just before the ^!Goto Loop line to just after the :Loop label. Now
            it works with all patterns.

            I have copied mine back from the email and rejoined the lines and I do not
            get a syntax error. You need to use regular expressions in the wizard, not
            DOS wildcards.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê