Re: [Clip] DestroyDoc

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
      Wright, John - Textron Financial wrote:

      >Whew! Thanks so much for the wealth of information. This clip is now in my
      >library.
      >

      >Wright, John - Textron Financial wrote:
      >
      > > I can't seem to find anything on what I'm trying
      > > to do.
      > >
      > > ^!DestroyDoc A483AR51.rpt
      >
      >John,
      >
      >When you are presented with the filelist just put a checkmark in the box
      >for every file you want to ^!DestroyDoc then click .
      >
      >hrs

      John,

      One other advantage, IMO, heretofore unmentioned I believe, ^!DestroyDoc
      sends the files to the recycle bin, giving you a chance to recover from
      boo-boo's. ^!DeleteFile seems to eradicate the file with little chance
      of recovery.

      hrs
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
        Hi John,

        >Whew! Thanks so much for the wealth of information. This clip is
        >now in my library.

        Just a friendly reminder to delete the text that is not needed to
        understand your reply. TIA No apologies needed. :-)

        > H="UUD kwik"
        > ;_Modified~Updated~Created_7/30/03_11:12:16a
        > ;_hsavage@...

        http://www.notetab.net
        http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

        UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:ntb-Clips-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2003
          Hi John and Harvey,

          I am just posting this clip to show what a person (me) can learn by
          exploring somebody else's ideas of doing things. I replied with "There is
          no way of doing wildcards in NoteTab that I know of.". Well, I have
          certainly learned better now. The previous clip did not do what you said
          you wanted to do because I could not think of a way to use wildcards on the
          open documents so I though that was the best that I was going to be able to
          do. Then yesterday Don Don Daugherty posted another reply to another post
          and he used the command ^!IfMatch in his reply. That put a bee in my
          bonnet and I started thinking really hard about it and you know, I found
          that I could use it to write a clip that does exactly what you wrote about
          on open documents in NoteTab.

          First the clip uses ^!Document Last to go to the last open document tab in
          the open documents. Next, the ^!IfMatch line tests the file name against
          your pattern which you enter into a wizard set up in it to see if the file
          name matches. It does not use wildcards the way you listed but it does use
          regular expressions which are similar to DOS wildcards. You can enter your
          examples of A483AR*.log or A483AR*.rpt as A483AR.*\.log or A483AR.*\.rpt
          which will get the result you are looking for. Then the clip will
          ^!DestroyDoc on the open document which will remove the document from the
          list of tabs and move the focus to the previous tab if the pattern is found
          or it will branch to ^!Document Prev which will move the focus to the
          previous document tab if the pattern does not match. Then the clip checks
          the document index position to see if it is on the first open document tab.
          If it is, it goes to the finish routine and checks the document to see if
          it should be deleted and deletes it or not and then quits. If it is not
          the first document tab, the clip loops back for the next open document and
          keeps looping until it reaches the first document tab and then processes it
          and quits.

          Here is the clip - Only 14 lines long:

          Just Modify/Join the two long lines and remove the long line markers and
          add it to your library to use it. I have tested it using ^!Close instead
          of ^!DestroyDoc and it works. I used ^!DestroyDoc with no parameters on
          individual open documents and it sends the documents to the recycle bin,
          removes them from the open tabs, and moves the tab focus back to the
          previous document. ^!Close does the same as ^!DestroyDoc but it does not
          send the document to the recycle bin so I thought that was good enough to
          use for testing purposes and when I used it, it workded the way I wanted it
          to.

          ______[Copy below this line]_______
          H="Test IfMatch"
          ;lrt@... e¿ê
          ;08/10/2003, 04:14:23 PM
          ^!SetScreenupdate 0
          ^!Document Last
          :Loop
          ;
          ^!IfMatch "^?[Enter RegExp Pattern (Pattern.*\.Ext)=]"
          "^$GetFileName(^**)$" Next ELSE PrevDoc
          ;
          ^!DestroyDoc
          ^!Goto Loop
          :PrevDoc
          ^!Document Prev
          ^!If ^$GetDocIndex$ = 1 Finish ELSE Next
          ^!Goto Loop
          :Finish
          ;
          ^!IfMatch "^?[Enter RegExp Pattern (Pattern.*\.Ext)=]"
          "^$GetFileName(^**)$" Next ELSE Exit
          ;
          ^!DestroyDoc
          _____[Copy above this line]______
          | right click over the clipbook |
          | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

          My point here is that you helped me learn something new about NoteTab's
          programing that I did not know by asking your question. Thank you very
          much for the experience. This is something that I can use on clips that I
          am thinking about writing for my own personal use.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Wright, John - Textron Financial
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 2003
            Larry,
            I like it, it's very elegent. One problem, I'm getting a syntax error on the
            Match statement. I'm sure it must be something I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's
            what I'm entering into the wizzard, but I've tried every combination I can
            think of.
            I did join the two portions of the long lines before attempting to run it.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 11, 2003
              At 09:46 AM 8/11/03 -0400, you wrote:
              >Larry,
              >I like it, it's very elegent. One problem, I'm getting a syntax error on the
              >Match statement. I'm sure it must be something I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's
              >what I'm entering into the wizzard, but I've tried every combination I can
              >think of.
              >I did join the two portions of the long lines before attempting to run it.

              You must use regular expressions for your patterns when entering patterns.
              In regular expressions, a period is a meta character and it is interpreted
              as "any" character except for a newline <cr/lf> pair. An asterisk (*)
              means zero or more occurences of the previous character and a back slash
              (\) is an escape character which cause the pattern to treat the next
              character as a litteral character. Without the back slash, the period is
              treated as a meta character by the regexp search engine but with the back
              slash just before the period or any other meta character, the meta
              character is treated as just a plain text character. A \. os just a period
              and \* is just an asterisk. The exception to this rule are the special
              situations set for special characters (\n for newline, \s for a space, and
              \t for a tab).

              You can find help for using NoteTab's regexp patterns by going to Help/Help
              Topics/Reference Information/Dialog boxes/Regular Expressions.

              There is one other problem that I have found. When you set a pattern to
              find all files and recycle them, the clip will not stop without preessing
              and holding the Ctrl+Alt Keys. I fixed this by moving the line:

              ^!If ^$GetDocIndex$ = 1 Finish ELSE Next

              From just before the ^!Goto Loop line to just after the :Loop label. Now
              it works with all patterns.

              I have copied mine back from the email and rejoined the lines and I do not
              get a syntax error. You need to use regular expressions in the wizard, not
              DOS wildcards.

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê