Re: [Clip] DestroyDoc

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
      At 10:12 AM 8/7/03 -0400, John wrote:
      >I have been using NTP for almost three years, but have never really embraced
      >clip coding - too intimidated by it. I went through the clip class, and I've
      >read through the Clip Help, but I think what I really need is to see more
      >examples of working clips. I can't seem to find anything on what I'm trying
      >to do.

      The best ways to learn that I have found is to just type in little clip
      samples for myself and run them and see what happens.

      >Anyhow, I'm trying to put a clip together that will prompt for the first
      >part of a document name, then step through my open documents and look for
      >documents with a wildcard and a .rpt or .log suffix. If they are found, I
      >want to 'DestroyDoc' them. For example, prompt for A483AR, then destroy any
      >open documents that have names like A483AR*.log or A483AR*.rpt (* is
      >wildcard).

      You need to use ^$StrCopyLeft("^$GetDocName$";6)$ in your clip.
      ^$GetDocName$ will capture the full document name including the folder
      pathname and extention. The ^$StrFunction$ will reduce the filename to the
      left six characters. There is no way of doing wildcards in NoteTab that I
      know of. You must use string manipulation to extract the number of
      characters on the left to get them for your wild card comparison. You
      would probably do something like....

      ^!IfSame "^$StrCopyLeft("^$GetDocName$";6)$^$GetExt(^$GetDocName$)$"
      "A483AR.rpt Next ELSE Skip
      ^!DestroyDoc ^$GetDocName$
      ^!Document Next

      If you are willing to open files with wildcards to be deleted, you can use
      ^$Getfiles$ to open just the files you want to destroy using the wildcards.

      ^$GetFiles(FilePath;FileSpecs[;Attr][;SortingOrder])$ (added in v4.8)
      ^$GetFiles([+]FilePath;FileSpecs[;Attr][;SortingOrder])$ (added in v4.83)
      The parameters are identical to the ^$GetFileFirst$ function. Returns all
      matching files as a single string using a blank space separator, or the one
      defined by ^!SetListDelimiter. Note that ^$GetFileNext$ and ^!CloseFileFind
      do not work with this function. This new function is useful to assign the
      result to an array variable. Example:
      ^!SetArray %Files%=^$GetFiles("c:\Program Files\NoteTab
      Pro\Documents";*.txt;AR;DATE)$

      Version 4.83: When the Attr field is used, only files that use the
      specified attributes are selected. To select files that have no attribute
      settings, use "-" as a value for Attr. You can also span through
      subdirectories by adding a + sign in front of the FilePath criteria. The
      following example will select all files under Windows and its
      subdirectories, that have the System attribute set:
      ^$GetFiles("+C:\Windows";*.*;S;Name)$

      >Also, in my experimenting, I found that the ^!DestroyDoc without a document
      >name will do what it is supposed to do on the active document, but if I try
      >to do a ^!DestroyDoc with a document name, it doesn't do anything. What am I
      >doing wrong? Will it only work on the active document? The following is the
      >line of code. The spelling and case is absolutely correct.
      >
      >^!DestroyDoc A483AR51.rpt

      You numst use the full pathname with ^!DestroyDoc. Example: ^!DestroyDoc
      ^$GetDocName$

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
        Hi John,

        The clip below suggests ways that you might use ^$Getfiles$ to do the job
        you want. I suspect that you would even use ^!DestroyDoc directly with
        ^$Getfiles$ to delete the files you want to delete.

        H="TestGetfiles"
        ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
        ^!Toolbar New Document
        ^!InsertText ^$GetFiles("^$GetAppPath$";b*.*)$

        Please note that you can also use a + in front of the pathname to get the
        subdirectories and of course you can use wizards with this or other clips
        like this.

        I tried this clip and it inserts a list of files into a new document from
        NoteTab's home folder.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
          Hi John,

          I did some thinking and experimenting and I wrote two clips that do what
          you want. The first clip will create a temporary document listing the
          files you want to delete.

          You read the list of flies and if you agree that you want all of them
          deleted, you run the second clip and it will scan down the list and delete
          all of the file in the list.

          Here is the clip:

          ______[Copy below this line]_______
          H="TestGetfiles"
          ;lrt@... e¿ê
          ;08/07/2003, 09:28:00 PM
          ;
          ^!Set %Path%=^?{(H=10)Enter Path==_C:\|C:\My
          Documents|^$GetAppPath$|^$GetDocumentPath$}
          ;
          ;
          ^!Set %SubDirs%=^?{Get Subdirectories?==_No^=|Yes^=+}; %Path%=^?{(T=D)Enter
          Path=^%Path%};%Wildcard%=^?{Enter Wildcard=*.*}; %ATTR%=^?{(H=10)Enter
          Attribute==_*|A|H|S|R}; %Order%=^?{(h=10)Enter Reverse==_No^=|Yes^=REV};
          %Sort%=^?{(h=10)Enter Sort By==_UNSORTED|NAME|TYPE|DATE|SIZE}
          ;
          ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
          ^!Toolbar New Document
          ;
          ^!InsertText
          ^$GetFiles("^%SubDirs%^%Path%";^%Wildcard%;^%ATTR%;^%Order%^%Sort%)$
          ;

          H="DestroyDoc"
          ;lrt@... e¿ê
          ;08/07/2003, 09:28:00 PM
          ^!Jump 1
          :Loop
          ^!DestroyDoc ^$Getline$
          ^!If ^$GetlineCount$ = ^$Getrow$ Exit ELSE Next
          ^!Jump +1
          ^!Goto Loop
          _____[Copy above this line]______
          | right click over the clipbook |
          | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

          Join the long lines and remove the long line markers and add them to your
          favorite clipbook.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Wright, John - Textron Financial
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
            Whew! Thanks so much for the wealth of information. This clip is now in my
            library.

            > I can't seem to find anything on what I'm trying
            > to do.
            >
            > Anyhow, I'm trying to put a clip together that will prompt for the first
            > part of a document name, then step through my open documents and look for
            > documents with a wildcard and a .rpt or .log suffix. If they are found, I
            > want to 'DestroyDoc' them. For example, prompt for A483AR, then
            destroy any
            > open documents that have names like A483AR*.log or A483AR*.rpt (* is
            > wildcard).
            >
            > ^!DestroyDoc A483AR51.rpt

            John,

            This main clip will do exactly, I think, what you are looking for. I'm
            sending it encoded with a decoding clip, and, in straight text form.

            With the clip wizard you select the path, the second line lets you enter
            a hint of the first few letters of the filenames you're interested in.
            Only files fitting the hint will display in the filelist.

            For instance, your example above, enter in the hint window A483. Only
            files starting with A483 will show in the list. The files may be,
            'A483xyz123.log' or 'A483xyz123.rpt. If you don't enter a hint make sure
            the hint window is clear.

            When you are presented with the filelist just put a checkmark in the box
            for every file you want to ^!DestroyDoc then click .

            hrs

            The first clip is used to decode the second.
            Email wraps long lines which can be difficult to unwrap properly.

            To avoid this the clip is in encoded form with a fixed line length that
            fits nicely into almost any email client without getting wrapped.

            The second form is straight text, you unwrap the long lines to make the
            clip work.

            'To DECODE', the instructions are below.

            Otherwise, you can add the straight clip to a clipbook and manually
            unwrap the email wrapped lines.

            To DECODE:
            Select and copy, all text between markers to new blank document.

            * With the new document;
            * Select and copy the 'UUD kwik' clip, Add to a clipbook.
            * Don't forget to save the clipbook you just added to.
            * The clip newly added clip will appear with the other clips.
            * Place the cursor within the encoded text of the new doc.
            * Run the clip, 'UUD kwik' you added to the clipbook.
            * Encoded text should be decoded without wrapped lines.
            * Select and copy decoded text and Add to a clipbook.

            This main clip, once decoded, added to a clipbook and working, will,
            * let you select a single folder,
            * let you select a single folder and include its subfolders,
            * let you select extensions, .log and .rpt, just .rpt or just .log
            * let you pre-select all files in the folder and subfolders.
            * let you select no files, so you can select them individually.

            ----select copy into a new blank document
            ----from below the begin marker line down to the end marker
            ----don't include either marker in the selection.

            ---- begin marker
            H="UUD kwik"
            ;_Modified~Updated~Created_7/30/03_11:12:16a
            ;_hsavage@...
            ^!Clearvariables
            ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
            ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
            ^!SetWordWrap 0
            ^!SetDebug 0
            ^!Set %ct%=^$DecToChar(164)$^$DecToChar(169)$
            ^!Find "begin 600" TIBSA
            ^!Set %begin%=^$GetRow$
            ^!Find "end" TISA
            ^!Set %end%=^$GetRow$
            ^!Jump LINE_END
            ^!SelectTo ^%begin%:1
            ^!Replace "begin 600^p" >> "begin 600 ^p" TIHSA
            ^!SetCode %text%=^$StrUUDecode(^$StrTrim(^$GetSelection$)$)$
            ^!SetCode %text%=^$StrReplace("^%ct%";"^";^%text%;0;0)$
            ^!SetClipboard ^%text%
            ^!InsertCode ^%text%
            :END
            ^!SetCursor ^%begin%:1
            ^!SetView ^%begin%:1
            ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

            H="DELETING .LOG/.RPT FILES"
            begin 600
            MI*DA0VQE87)V87)I86)L97,-"J2I(5-E=%-C<F5E;E5P9&%T92`P#0HZ4U1!
            M4E0-"J2I(5-E=%=I>F%R9%1I=&QE($1E;&5T92!,;V<@06YD(%)P="!&:6QE
            M<PT*I*DA4V5T5VEZ87)D3&%B96P@;&]G(&%N9"!R<'0@1FEL97,@3VYL>2!)
            M;B!&:6QE;&ES="XN+@T*.R!L;VYG(&QI;F4-"J2I(5-E="`E9&5F<&%T:"4]
            MI*D_>RA(/3,R.U0]1"E0:6-K($9I;&4@1F]L9&5R/:2I)$=E=$1O8W5M96YT
            M4&%T:"1].R`E:&EN="4]I*D_>TQE879E($)L86YK(&]R(%1Y<&4@1FEL96YA
            M;64@2&EN="!4;R!,;V]K($9O<CVDJ25E;7!T>25].R`E97AT)3VDJ3][4&EC
            M:R!/<B!4>7!E($EN($9I;&5S5'EP97,@5&\@1&ES<&QA>3U?<G!T("8@;&]G
            M?"HN<G!T?"HN;&]G?3L@)7!L=7,E/:2I/WM3=6)F;VQD97)S/ST]26YC;'5D
            M9:2I/2M\7T5X8VQU9&6DJ3VDJ25E;7!T>25].R`E<V5L96-T)3VDJ3][075T
            M;W-E;&5C="!&:6QE<S\]/5E%4Z2I/5]\7TY/I*D]I*DE96UP='DE?0T*I*DA
            M269386UE(")R<'0@)B!L;V<B("*DJ25E>'0B(*2I(5-E="`E97AT)3TB*BYR
            M<'0[I*DE:&EN="4J+FQO9R(-"CL-"J2I(5-E=$QI<W1$96QI;6ET97(@?*2I
            M)7-E;&5C="4-"J2I(5-E="`E9FEL96QI<W0E/:2I)$=E=$9I;&5S*"*DJ25P
            M;'5S):2I)61E9G!A=&@E(CLBI*DE:&EN="6DJ25E>'0E(CMN86UE*20-"J2I
            M(5-E="`E9FEL96QI<W0E/:2I)%-T<E)E<&QA8V4H(J2I)61E9G!A=&@E(CND
            MJ25E;7!T>24[(J2I)69I;&5L:7-T)2([,#LP*20-"CL@;&]N9R!L:6YE#0JD
            MJ2%3971!<G)A>2`E9FEL96QI<W0E/:2I/WLH2#TR-#M4/4$I1DE,15,@;V8@
            M8VAO<V5N(&5X=&5N<VEO;B`M+2!.;R!C:&]I8V4@<75I=',]/:2I)7-E;&5C
            M="6DJ25F:6QE;&ES="5]#0H[#0JDJ2%)9B"DJ25F:6QE;&ES="4]I*DE96UP
            M='DE($5.1`T*.E1!4TL-"J2I(5-E="`E8V]U;G0E/:2I)69I;&5L:7-T,"4[
            M("5I;F1E>"4],`T*.DY%6%1405-+#0JDJ2%);F,@)6EN9&5X)0T*I*DA268@
            MI*DE:6YD97@E(#X@I*DE8V]U;G0E($5.1`T*.R"DJ2%);F9O("*DJ25D969P
            M871H):2I)69I;&5L:7-TI*DE:6YD97@E)2(-"J2I(41E<W1R;WE$;V,@(J2I
            M)61E9G!A=&@EI*DE9FEL96QI<W2DJ25I;F1E>"4E(@T*I*DA1V]T;R!.15A4
            *5$%32PT*.D5.1`
            `
            end

            H="DELETING .LOG/.RPT FILES"
            ^!Clearvariables
            ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
            :START
            ^!SetWizardTitle Delete Log And Rpt Files
            ^!SetWizardLabel log and rpt Files Only In Filelist...
            ; long line
            ^!Set %defpath%=^?{(H=32;T=D)Pick File Folder=^$GetDocumentPath$};
            %hint%=^?{Leave Blank or Type Filename Hint To Look For=^%empty%};
            %ext%=^?{Pick Or Type In FilesTypes To Display=_rpt & log|*.rpt|*.log};
            %plus%=^?{Subfolders?==Include^=+|_Exclude^=^%empty%};
            %select%=^?{Autoselect Files?==YES^=_|_NO^=^%empty%}
            ^!IfSame "rpt & log" "^%ext" ^!Set %ext%="*.rpt;^%hint%*.log"
            ;
            ^!SetListDelimiter |^%select%
            ^!Set %filelist%=^$GetFiles("^%plus%^%defpath%";"^%hint%^%ext%";name)$
            ^!Set %filelist%=^$StrReplace("^%defpath%";^%empty%;"^%filelist%";0;0)$
            ; long line
            ^!SetArray %filelist%=^?{(H=24;T=A)FILES of chosen extension -- No
            choice quits==^%select%^%filelist%}
            ;
            ^!If ^%filelist%=^%empty% END
            :TASK
            ^!Set %count%=^%filelist0%; %index%=0
            :NEXTTASK
            ^!Inc %index%
            ^!If ^%index% > ^%count% END
            ; ^!Info "^%defpath%^%filelist^%index%%"
            ^!DestroyDoc "^%defpath%^%filelist^%index%%"
            ^!Goto NEXTTASK
            :END
            ---- end marker ----

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
              Wright, John - Textron Financial wrote:

              >Whew! Thanks so much for the wealth of information. This clip is now in my
              >library.
              >

              >Wright, John - Textron Financial wrote:
              >
              > > I can't seem to find anything on what I'm trying
              > > to do.
              > >
              > > ^!DestroyDoc A483AR51.rpt
              >
              >John,
              >
              >When you are presented with the filelist just put a checkmark in the box
              >for every file you want to ^!DestroyDoc then click .
              >
              >hrs

              John,

              One other advantage, IMO, heretofore unmentioned I believe, ^!DestroyDoc
              sends the files to the recycle bin, giving you a chance to recover from
              boo-boo's. ^!DeleteFile seems to eradicate the file with little chance
              of recovery.

              hrs
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
                Hi John,

                >Whew! Thanks so much for the wealth of information. This clip is
                >now in my library.

                Just a friendly reminder to delete the text that is not needed to
                understand your reply. TIA No apologies needed. :-)

                > H="UUD kwik"
                > ;_Modified~Updated~Created_7/30/03_11:12:16a
                > ;_hsavage@...

                http://www.notetab.net
                http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

                UnSubscribe, Options
                mailto:ntb-Clips-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              • Larry Thomas
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 2003
                  Hi John and Harvey,

                  I am just posting this clip to show what a person (me) can learn by
                  exploring somebody else's ideas of doing things. I replied with "There is
                  no way of doing wildcards in NoteTab that I know of.". Well, I have
                  certainly learned better now. The previous clip did not do what you said
                  you wanted to do because I could not think of a way to use wildcards on the
                  open documents so I though that was the best that I was going to be able to
                  do. Then yesterday Don Don Daugherty posted another reply to another post
                  and he used the command ^!IfMatch in his reply. That put a bee in my
                  bonnet and I started thinking really hard about it and you know, I found
                  that I could use it to write a clip that does exactly what you wrote about
                  on open documents in NoteTab.

                  First the clip uses ^!Document Last to go to the last open document tab in
                  the open documents. Next, the ^!IfMatch line tests the file name against
                  your pattern which you enter into a wizard set up in it to see if the file
                  name matches. It does not use wildcards the way you listed but it does use
                  regular expressions which are similar to DOS wildcards. You can enter your
                  examples of A483AR*.log or A483AR*.rpt as A483AR.*\.log or A483AR.*\.rpt
                  which will get the result you are looking for. Then the clip will
                  ^!DestroyDoc on the open document which will remove the document from the
                  list of tabs and move the focus to the previous tab if the pattern is found
                  or it will branch to ^!Document Prev which will move the focus to the
                  previous document tab if the pattern does not match. Then the clip checks
                  the document index position to see if it is on the first open document tab.
                  If it is, it goes to the finish routine and checks the document to see if
                  it should be deleted and deletes it or not and then quits. If it is not
                  the first document tab, the clip loops back for the next open document and
                  keeps looping until it reaches the first document tab and then processes it
                  and quits.

                  Here is the clip - Only 14 lines long:

                  Just Modify/Join the two long lines and remove the long line markers and
                  add it to your library to use it. I have tested it using ^!Close instead
                  of ^!DestroyDoc and it works. I used ^!DestroyDoc with no parameters on
                  individual open documents and it sends the documents to the recycle bin,
                  removes them from the open tabs, and moves the tab focus back to the
                  previous document. ^!Close does the same as ^!DestroyDoc but it does not
                  send the document to the recycle bin so I thought that was good enough to
                  use for testing purposes and when I used it, it workded the way I wanted it
                  to.

                  ______[Copy below this line]_______
                  H="Test IfMatch"
                  ;lrt@... e¿ê
                  ;08/10/2003, 04:14:23 PM
                  ^!SetScreenupdate 0
                  ^!Document Last
                  :Loop
                  ;
                  ^!IfMatch "^?[Enter RegExp Pattern (Pattern.*\.Ext)=]"
                  "^$GetFileName(^**)$" Next ELSE PrevDoc
                  ;
                  ^!DestroyDoc
                  ^!Goto Loop
                  :PrevDoc
                  ^!Document Prev
                  ^!If ^$GetDocIndex$ = 1 Finish ELSE Next
                  ^!Goto Loop
                  :Finish
                  ;
                  ^!IfMatch "^?[Enter RegExp Pattern (Pattern.*\.Ext)=]"
                  "^$GetFileName(^**)$" Next ELSE Exit
                  ;
                  ^!DestroyDoc
                  _____[Copy above this line]______
                  | right click over the clipbook |
                  | and choose "Add from Clipboard" |
                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

                  My point here is that you helped me learn something new about NoteTab's
                  programing that I did not know by asking your question. Thank you very
                  much for the experience. This is something that I can use on clips that I
                  am thinking about writing for my own personal use.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 11, 2003
                    Larry,
                    I like it, it's very elegent. One problem, I'm getting a syntax error on the
                    Match statement. I'm sure it must be something I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's
                    what I'm entering into the wizzard, but I've tried every combination I can
                    think of.
                    I did join the two portions of the long lines before attempting to run it.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 11, 2003
                      At 09:46 AM 8/11/03 -0400, you wrote:
                      >Larry,
                      >I like it, it's very elegent. One problem, I'm getting a syntax error on the
                      >Match statement. I'm sure it must be something I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's
                      >what I'm entering into the wizzard, but I've tried every combination I can
                      >think of.
                      >I did join the two portions of the long lines before attempting to run it.

                      You must use regular expressions for your patterns when entering patterns.
                      In regular expressions, a period is a meta character and it is interpreted
                      as "any" character except for a newline <cr/lf> pair. An asterisk (*)
                      means zero or more occurences of the previous character and a back slash
                      (\) is an escape character which cause the pattern to treat the next
                      character as a litteral character. Without the back slash, the period is
                      treated as a meta character by the regexp search engine but with the back
                      slash just before the period or any other meta character, the meta
                      character is treated as just a plain text character. A \. os just a period
                      and \* is just an asterisk. The exception to this rule are the special
                      situations set for special characters (\n for newline, \s for a space, and
                      \t for a tab).

                      You can find help for using NoteTab's regexp patterns by going to Help/Help
                      Topics/Reference Information/Dialog boxes/Regular Expressions.

                      There is one other problem that I have found. When you set a pattern to
                      find all files and recycle them, the clip will not stop without preessing
                      and holding the Ctrl+Alt Keys. I fixed this by moving the line:

                      ^!If ^$GetDocIndex$ = 1 Finish ELSE Next

                      From just before the ^!Goto Loop line to just after the :Loop label. Now
                      it works with all patterns.

                      I have copied mine back from the email and rejoined the lines and I do not
                      get a syntax error. You need to use regular expressions in the wizard, not
                      DOS wildcards.

                      Regards,

                      Larry
                      lrt@... e¿ê