Re: [Clip] Date math

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003
      At 08:50 AM 7/4/03 -0400, you wrote:
      >Is there a clip function that can do "date math", for lack of a better word
      >for it? Say I wanted to generate a list of Fridays and their dates for the
      >next year for a schedule. Can that be accomplished in a clip? I know I can
      >do this in a Calendar type program, just wondering if it could be done in
      NTP.

      >thanks,
      >Julie

      Hi Julie,

      I would think that you should have to find a known date that falls on
      Friday. Then set up variables with the number of days in each month
      through the next year. Then have the clip cycle through the year adding
      seven days at a time to the date in each loop and decrementing the month
      until there were not seven days in it and then adding the left over days in
      that month to the next month and changing the month to the next month and
      adding seven days to the date again while decrementing the new month. If
      you did something like that, you should be able to figure your schedule for
      the next year. You could probably use wizards to get the beginning date,
      the day of the week, the number of days left in the current month, the days
      in February, and the current year. Then write your clip to calculate the
      date from these facts.

      Have a happy fourth.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê

      Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

      From a bumper sticker.
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2003

        --

        I think a hand calculator and a calendar would be faster....

        speaking of Calendars: I really use this one,

        http://www.calendarhome.com/tyc/

        Jeffery Scism, IBSSG

        Links to my Homepages: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/

        Genius- Noun. A person who through innate ability is capable of
        reaching the wrong conclusion faster than anyone else.
      • Don Daugherty
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
          >Is there a clip function that can do "date math", for lack of a better word
          >for it? Say I wanted to generate a list of Fridays and their dates for the
          >next year for a schedule. Can that be accomplished in a clip? I know I can
          >do this in a Calendar type program, just wondering if it could be done in NTP.

          >thanks,
          >Julie
          I have written a clip library (about a 4K file) that will do what you want. I'm not sure I should attach it tp another message, imbed the entire document in another message, or just send it by separate email to anyone who requests it. I'll take the latter approach unless Jody or someone else with clout tells me otherwise.

          You probably didn't know you had "clout", did you Jody! :)

        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2003
            At 05:43 PM 7/9/03 -0500, you wrote:
            >>Is there a clip function that can do "date math", for lack of a better word
            >>for it? Say I wanted to generate a list of Fridays and their dates for the
            >>next year for a schedule. Can that be accomplished in a clip? I know I can
            >>do this in a Calendar type program, just wondering if it could be done in
            NTP.

            >>thanks,
            >>Julie
            >I have written a clip library (about a 4K file) that will do what you
            want. I'm not sure I should attach it tp another message, imbed the entire
            document in another message, or just send it by separate email to anyone
            who requests it. I'll take the latter approach unless Jody or someone else
            with clout tells me otherwise.

            >You probably didn't know you had "clout", did you Jody! :)

            Hi Don,

            The list has a file section where you can upload your files for sharing.
            You need to log on to the site to use it but otherwise once there you can
            upload files to share and just post to the list telling others where to
            find them.

            This site is to provide information about file sharing on the mailing lists.

            These sites are for uploading and downloading files to the file sharing
            sites for the mailing lists on the Groups.

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 10, 2003
              Hi Don,

              >I have written a clip library (about a 4K file) that will do what
              >you want. I'm not sure I should attach it tp another message,
              >imbed the entire document in another message, or just send it by
              >separate email to anyone who requests it. I'll take the latter
              >approach unless Jody or someone else with clout tells me otherwise.
              >
              >You probably didn't know you had "clout", did you Jody! :)

              Gee, thanks! 8D I have the lists marked so they will not accept
              attachments. You know how we like to remove text not needed to
              understand the reply and excessive "Thanks" (actually none is
              better, but if you just have to, one is sufficient;) not posted,
              imagine attachments... ;)

              You can post in the file area if it is pretty big and/or has a
              lot of long lines. You can send it in private eMail of course.

              http://www.notetab.net
              http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

              UnSubscribe, Options
              mailto:ntb-Clips-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            • Don Daugherty
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 10, 2003
                Hi Don,

                The list has a file section where you can upload your files for sharing.
              • Julie
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 10, 2003
                  Hi Don,

                  >Thanks Larry, I sent it to Julie directly. I may upload it later.

                  That was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. I took the
                  liberty of uploading it to the files section...

                  Julie
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                    At 04:25 PM 7/10/03 -0400, Julie wrote:
                    >Hi Don,
                    >
                    >>Thanks Larry, I sent it to Julie directly. I may upload it later.
                    >
                    >That was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. I took the
                    >liberty of uploading it to the files section...
                    >
                    >Julie

                    I am a day late and a dollar short but I thought that you might like to
                    have this handy dandy DOS calendar maker. It does what you want and it
                    makes calendars that you can edit and print with NoteTab. And to top it
                    all off, it is FREE! It is called YearCal. You can download it from:

                    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/deskaces/yrcal17t.zip

                    I just checked and the URL is still current.

                    Here is a sample of what it does:

                    Aggie Gig'Em English Calander fer 2003

                    FRIDAY
                    JA FE MA AP MA JU JU AU SE OC
                    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
                    3 7 7 4 2 6 4 1 5 3
                    10 14 14 11 9 13 11 8 12 10
                    17 21 21 18 16 20 18 15 19 17
                    24 28 28 25 23 27 25 22 26 24
                    31 30 29 31

                    Aggie Gig'Em English Calander fer 2004

                    FRIDAY
                    JA FE MA AP MA JU JU AU SE OC NO DE
                    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
                    2 6 5 2 7 4 2 6 3 1 5 3
                    9 13 12 9 14 11 9 13 10 8 12 10
                    16 20 19 16 21 18 16 20 17 15 19 17
                    23 27 26 23 28 25 23 27 24 22 26 24
                    30 30 30 29 31

                    English Calendar for 2004

                    JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH
                    SU MO TU WE TH FR SA SU MO TU WE TH FR SA SU MO TU WE TH FR SA
                    1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
                    4 5 6 7 8 9 10 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
                    11 12 13 14 15 16 17 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
                    18 19 20 21 22 23 24 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
                    25 26 27 28 29 30 31 29 28 29 30 31

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    lrt@... e¿ê
                  • Don Daugherty
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                      > Hi Don,
                      >
                      > That was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. I took the
                      > liberty of uploading it to the files section...

                      You're welcome. Thanks for doing the upload. I need to download WSFTP
                      before I can do that sort of thing. (I had it on my old computer, but
                      haven't needed it since getting the new one.)

                      Incidently, I realized that removing the 1901-2099 restriction was pretty
                      simple so I've revised the library. Maybe I'll upload it; though I can't
                      imagine anyone but a fiction writer -- sci-fi, maybe -- needing to go beyond
                      2099.
                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                        Incidently, I realized that removing the 1901-2099 restriction was
                        pretty
                        simple so I've revised the library. Maybe I'll upload it; though I
                        can't
                        imagine anyone but a fiction writer -- sci-fi, maybe -- needing to go
                        beyond
                        2099.
                        --
                        actually not everyone uses Gregorian calendars

                        Genealogists (like me) have all different kinds of systems to deal
                        with. Chinese calendar is way up ther, somewhere over 3,000 I think.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 11, 2003
                          Hi Don,

                          >You're welcome. Thanks for doing the upload. I need to download WSFTP
                          >before I can do that sort of thing. (I had it on my old computer, but
                          >haven't needed it since getting the new one.)

                          You don't need an FTP program to upload files to this group, or any
                          Y!Groups list. You browse to the file on your computer from
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/> and click on Upload File.
                          The group is configured so that any member of the list can upload files.

                          Julie
                        • Don Daugherty
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 14, 2003
                            > You don't need an FTP program to upload files to this group, or any
                            > Y!Groups list. You browse to the file on your computer from
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/> and click on Upload
                            File.
                            > The group is configured so that any member of the list can upload files.
                            >
                            > Julie

                            Thanks, I discovered that right after I sent my last message! :-)