Help the old newbie, please!

  • scheidrp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
      Having lurked on the Notetab and the Clips groups for some time now,
      I finally unashamedly (my spouse always says I have no shame) ask
      for a whole lot of help. I probably rank right up there with the
      oldest newbies in either group, and as they say, you can't teach an
      old dog new tricks, however I'm still trying. The only thing I know
      with any degree of certainty is Notetab and the very apparent
      collective level of expertise in this group should make short work
      of my problem.

      Using Notetab and an equally awesome freeware image viewer and
      editor named Irfanview I hope to speed up the scanning process in
      use at the museum at which I am a volunteer. Due to budget
      restraints, these scanners are usually bottom of the line units.
      The museum library has the almost overwhelming task of scanning 1.4
      million photos before they literally fall apart. (A lot of them date
      back to the early 1900s.) The majority of this work is being done by
      volunteers, some of whom bring a great deal of enthusiasm to the
      task and not a whole lot more. I would love to "automate" the
      process to a degree so as to save time and take some of the drudgery
      out of it as well. If I could get a kickstart from the group it sure
      would be mightily appreciated.

      The photos are scanned to JPEG files at 300 dpi. Most are
      greyscale, but it would be nice to be presented with the options
      color, line drawing, greyscale. I hate to say this but I think
      you'd have to get a copy of Irfanview to see how it might be used
      with Notetab. Google Irfanview, and be amazed how small the app is.

      I sure hope the sheer length of this hasn't turned you all off. :)
      Any questions you may have will be given my best effort.

      Thanks in advance, everyone!

      RP
    • hugo_paulissen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
        Hi RP,

        That sure is a hell of a job ;-).

        I don't know exactly how you plan to automate this scanning process
        with NoteTab, so maybe you could give some details on that. The
        biggest problem probably is the naming of the individual files.

        You are aware of the batch scanning process of IrfanView? This scans
        a whole lot of images in sequence, and gives the scanned images a
        name with an ascending number. After a series of scans you could try
        to rename the images and categorize them according to your wishes
        (you might want to keep track of everything scanned in a list...).

        It all comes down to the organization of the complete scanning
        process... And at this moment I do not know exactly how NoteTab could
        help you with that - but it seems that you have ideas on that.

        Hugo
      • John Parsons
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
          hugo_paulissen wrote:

          >Hi RP,
          >
          >That sure is a hell of a job ;-).
          >
          >I don't know exactly how you plan to automate this scanning process
          >with NoteTab, so maybe you could give some details on that. The
          >biggest problem probably is the naming of the individual files.
          >
          >You are aware of the batch scanning process of IrfanView? This scans
          >a whole lot of images in sequence, and gives the scanned images a
          >name with an ascending number. After a series of scans you could try
          >to rename the images and categorize them according to your wishes
          >(you might want to keep track of everything scanned in a list...).

          The only problem being that Irfanview only supports batch scanning if
          the scanner does... and as RP said they were using cheep scanners that
          seems unlikely!

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
            Hi rp,

            >Having lurked on the Notetab and the Clips groups for some time now,
            >I finally unashamedly (my spouse always says I have no shame)

            :-)

            >Using Notetab and an equally awesome freeware image viewer and
            >editor named Irfanview I hope to speed up the scanning process in
            >use at the museum at which I am a volunteer.

            Fookes Software (www.fookes.com) ie: NoteTab, :) now has three
            programs that work with pictures/images. They are Easy
            Thumbnails, Album Express, and Easy Imager. Irfanview is nice,
            but you need to take this thread to the OffTopic list to discuss
            it, especially since it is competition. ;) Please see my
            signature line to sign up for it or go to the following web page:

            I'm not sure what you mean by scan, unless you mean using like an
            Acquire command. If that is the case you might be able to adjust
            some Clips in my noteview Library that was made to work with
            I_View a couple of years ago.

            http://www.notetab.net/zip/noteview.zip

            Happy Topics,
            Jody