Hex to Alpha conversion clip

  • Dick Gascoigne
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2003
      I've written a simple clip to take characters represented as hex values, and
      build the corresponding AlphaNumeric representation. If it fits what anyone
      needs, you're welcome to it.

      The problem was that I need to interpret PCL (PrinterControlLanguage) files,
      which are captured by a "print to file" process. I view the resulting .prn
      file with HexEdit or similar.

      However, the hex and ASCII views in HexEdit are difficult to interpret, and
      all the control characters show up as just a dot.

      Now I can copy/paste a section of the file from HexEdit, and have NoteTab
      convert the .prn file from
      0x1b,0x25,0x2d,0x31,0x32,0x33,0x34,0x35,0x58,0x40
      to something like

      ESC%-12345X
      @PJLSPEOJCR LF

      (Beleive it or not, that is an improvement :-) )
      Let me know if you'd like a copy.

      Dick Gascoigne
      Singapore