Re: [Clip] Staus check of ^!SetDebug

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 10:15 AM
      At 04:54 PM 7/1/03 -0000, you wrote:
      >Does anyone know how to check the status of debug from within a clip?
      >I know that sounds like a silly question but it isn't really...
      >
      >I have a clip that is only used by ^!Farclip. When the ^!Farclip is
      >used, I don't need debug on, but when I return to the parent clip, I
      >would like to restore the status of the debug command: On if it was
      >on or Off if it was off.
      >
      >Anyone got any ideas? I know I could pass a flag (variable) to the ^!
      >Farclip but it would be easier if I could just check from within the
      >^!Farclip.
      >
      >Thanks Much!
      >-Mike LaFountain

      It doesn;t seem to me necessary to know the status of Setdebug. Just do
      the following in your code.

      If SetDebug is on:

      ^!SetDebug Off
      ^!Farclip.....
      %!SetDebug On

      If SetDebug is Off

      ^!SetDebug On
      ^!Farclip.....
      %!SetDebug Off

      And that would seem to take care of your problem.

      In fact you can pass commands to a variable and use them in this fashion:

      ^!Set %Command%=SetDebug On

      then at the proper place(s) in your code

      ^!^%Command%

      I hope this helps.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • RS
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1 11:12 AM
        Mike,

        At 04:54 PM 07/01/03 -0000 you wrote:
        >Does anyone know how to check the status of debug from within a clip?
        >I know that sounds like a silly question but it isn't really...
        >
        >I have a clip that is only used by ^!Farclip. When the ^!Farclip is
        >used, I don't need debug on, but when I return to the parent clip, I
        >would like to restore the status of the debug command: On if it was
        >on or Off if it was off.
        >
        >Anyone got any ideas? I know I could pass a flag (variable) to the ^!
        >Farclip but it would be easier if I could just check from within the
        >^!Farclip.

        I would turn off debugging before the call to FarClip and enable it afterwards:

        ^!SetDebug OFF
        ^!Farclip A_Clip_That_Doesnt_Need_Debugging
        ^!SetDebug ON

        Regards,

        RS
      • mbl60181
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1 11:39 AM
          RS Wrote:
          > I would turn off debugging before the call to FarClip and enable it
          afterwards:

          > ^!SetDebug OFF
          > ^!Farclip A_Clip_That_Doesnt_Need_Debugging
          > ^!SetDebug ON

          Sure could but... I'm calling the ^!Farclip about 10 times in
          many different places and didn't want to bother with that method.

          -Mike
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1 11:42 AM
            At 04:54 PM 7/1/03 -0000, you wrote:
            >Does anyone know how to check the status of debug from within a clip?
            >I know that sounds like a silly question but it isn't really...

            I think that I have the solution to what you want to do. First set a
            veriable for the command.

            ^!Set %Command%=SetDebug On

            Then place the following code where ever you want to start Debug.

            ^!^%Command%

            Now place the following code at the start of you clip that you are calling
            from Farclip.

            ^!IfSame "^%Command%" "SetDebug On" Next ELSE Skip
            ^!SetDebug Off
            ^!IfSame "^%Command%" "SetDebug Off" Next ELSE Skip
            ^!SetDebug On

            And place the following code at the end of your clip that you are calling
            from Farclip.

            ^!IfSame "^%Command%" "SetDebug Off" Next ELSE Skip
            ^!SetDebug On
            ^!IfSame "^%Command%" "SetDebug On" Next ELSE Skip
            ^!SetDebug Off

            You will have to test this but if ^%Command% is not set to either value, I
            think that it will do nothing as the lines to turn Debug on or off will be
            skipped.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • mbl60181
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1 11:55 AM
              Larry wrote

              > It doesn;t seem to me necessary to know the status of Setdebug.
              Just do
              > the following in your code.
              >
              > If SetDebug is on:
              >
              > ^!SetDebug Off
              > ^!Farclip.....
              > %!SetDebug On

              Yes but... the ^!Farclip is ran several times (over 10) from the
              clip I'm writting. So this is a mild pain in the dupa.

              > In fact you can pass commands to a variable and use them in this
              fashion:

              > ^!Set %Command%=SetDebug On
              >
              > then at the proper place(s) in your code
              >
              > ^!^%Command%
              >
              > I hope this helps.

              I didn't know you could do that. I'll keep it in mind. It might be
              useful sometime :-) But it's kinda overkill for this situation. It is
              the equivelent of passing a flag to the ^!Farclip. I could just as
              easily say:

              ^!Set %DebugStatus%=On

              Then check it in the ^!Farclip. I'm looking for a method to not set
              additional flags and still check the debug status. That would make
              the routine more self-contained.

              -Mike
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1 12:22 PM
                If you look at the is functions here:

                mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\NoteTab%20Pro\ClipCode.chm::/clip_language_
                __testing_condit.htm

                (you may need to adjust if your hard drive is diff -- but it is under
                Testing Conditions in the Clip Help) you won't find ^$IsDeBug$ there. I
                assume that means it doesn't exist.

                I sometimes use:
                ^!Set %word_wrap%=^$IsWordWrap$
                ^!SetWordWrap 0
                ;code here
                ^!SetWordWrap ^%word_wrap%
                which will return wordwrap status to where it was before (as usual I ripped
                the idea off from someone). I think that is what you are trying to do on
                your clip. I don't think Larry's clip works unless you have set the
                wordwrap status using the variable, but absent a "program variable" set
                somewhere, I think it is probably the only way to do it. There must be such
                a "program variable" obviously, but the question I suppose is ... can we
                access it?

                --

                Don Passenger

                If you need an html fix visit
                http://www.htmlfixit.com

                to fix your problems
                > > It doesn;t seem to me necessary to know the status of Setdebug.
                > Just do
                > > the following in your code.
                > >
                > > If SetDebug is on:
                > >
                > > ^!SetDebug Off
                > > ^!Farclip.....
                > > %!SetDebug On
                >
                > Yes but... the ^!Farclip is ran several times (over 10) from the
                > clip I'm writting. So this is a mild pain in the dupa.
                >

                > > In fact you can pass commands to a variable and use them in this
                > fashion:
                > >
                > > ^!Set %Command%=SetDebug On
                > >
                > > then at the proper place(s) in your code
                > >
                > > ^!^%Command%
                > >
                > > I hope this helps.
                >
                > I didn't know you could do that. I'll keep it in mind. It might be
                > useful sometime :-) But it's kinda overkill for this situation. It is
                > the equivelent of passing a flag to the ^!Farclip. I could just as
                > easily say:
                >
                > ^!Set %DebugStatus%=On
                >
                > Then check it in the ^!Farclip. I'm looking for a method to not set
                > additional flags and still check the debug status. That would make
                > the routine more self-contained.
                >
                > -Mike
              • hugo_paulissen
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1 2:38 PM

                  > > ^!SetDebug OFF
                  > > ^!Farclip A_Clip_That_Doesnt_Need_Debugging
                  > > ^!SetDebug ON
                  > >

                  > Sure could but... I'm calling the ^!Farclip about 10 times in
                  > many different places and didn't want to bother with that method.
                  >
                  > -Mike

                  Mike (et al),

                  Why don't you ^!SetDebug OFF at the beginning of the FARCLIP and
                  switch it back [^!SetDebug] ON at the end of it?

                  Hugo
                • RS
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1 3:49 PM
                    Mike,

                    At 06:39 PM 07/01/03 -0000 you wrote:
                    >RS Wrote:
                    >> I would turn off debugging before the call to FarClip and enable it
                    >afterwards:
                    >>
                    >> ^!SetDebug OFF
                    >> ^!Farclip A_Clip_That_Doesnt_Need_Debugging
                    >> ^!SetDebug ON
                    >>

                    >Sure could but... I'm calling the ^!Farclip about 10 times in
                    >many different places and didn't want to bother with that method.

                    Then, do it in the FarClip:

                    H=YourFarClip
                    ^!SetDebug OFF
                    [... here the clip's code ...]
                    ^!SetDebug ON

                    Regards,

                    RS
                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1 7:22 PM
                      RS, (Mike et al)

                      Problem is (I think) that Mike NEVER needs to debug inside the Farclip
                      (presumably its already been thoroughly debugged) but SOMETIMES he's using
                      it in the main clip and if on before entry he wants it restored upon exit.

                      If Notetab doesn't provide a primitive that captures the status of SetDebug
                      ON/OFF I can't see anyway around using some intermediate variable that he
                      always sets at the same time SetDebug itself is changed.

                      Then any section of code that is to be NEVER debugged can unconditionally
                      turn it off on entry and conditionally restore it on exit based on the value
                      of the semaphore.

                      Maybe a single (called) clip done right could be used at entry and exit and
                      a pair of clip buttons created to toggle the semaphore and the SetDebug
                      ON/OFF in sync.

                      As badly as I code, if I did more or of it I probably wind doing something
                      like this.

                      IMHO: Addition of an ^&IsDebugOn$ would be useful if not essential

                      Regards ... Alec