Re: [Clip] erratic results with: ^&

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
      Don,

      At 04:20 PM 6/1/03 -0400, you wrote:
      >I am trying to set a variable equal to ^& so that I can paste it elsewhere
      >in my document. I am running 4.95 pro.
      >I would assume that the text on screen which is highlighted should be
      >captured if I use this:
      >^!Set %Header%=^P^P^&^P^P
      >

      >It doesn't seem to be the case. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't! Am
      >I missing something? I am using
      >^!ClearVariables at the top of my clip. I want to copy and paste the
      >highlighted selection, is there an easier way? I don't see a ^!Copy
      >command. I suppose I could resort to ^!Keyboard CTRL + C although I think
      >keyboard is frowned upon by most clippers unless absolutely required.

      I am sorry about my short answer but now I have thought of more info. You
      should know that the ^& function works at the beginning of the execution of
      a clip. This means that the text must be selected before you run the clip.
      If the clip selectes the text after it starts running, the ^& function
      will return nothing. I think that Eric described it as a priority of the
      interpreter for NoteTab to process and retreive all of the ^&, ^**, and ^##
      function information before executing any lines of code in the clip and
      that is why you can't get anything if nothing is selected when you start.
      ^$GetSelection$ on the otherhand does not process until the code for it is
      executed in the clip. The same thing applies to wizards. Wizards using
      the ^?[] form, all pop up to be processed before a single line of code is
      executed. Wizards using the ^?{} form are only processed when the line of
      code where they are located is processed.

      For copying purposes in addition to variables, you can use the clipboard with:

      ^!Toolbar Copy
      ^!Toolbar Copy All
      ^!Paste
      ^!PasteSelect
      ^!Toolbar Paste
      ^!Toolbar Paste New
      ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$

      And there are probably more combinations that I am not thinking right now.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...