[Clip] Trailing Spaces WARBUBG

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi All,

      I have found that the ^!Replace command should really be treated like a
      poisonous cobra in the clip editor, even the clip that I just posted
      affects or changes the entire library from the clip where it starts all the
      way to the end of the library. Not a good idea at all. It sure does not
      please me to have this happen to my libraries. So far I have been very
      lucky and the library appears to be ok but it has a large number of clips
      and I would have a big job recovering all of them if it had. Phew!

      A possible solution to this is to select the entire contents of the clip
      editor and use the H option to limit the search and replace to the
      selected/highlighted text.

      Here is the changed clip:

      H="Remove Trailing Spaces"
      ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
      ;06/01/2003, 09:24:11 AM
      ;With help from "Alec Burgess" <burale@...>
      ;and "Mark B." <breaumark@...>
      ^!Select All
      ^!Replace "\s+\n" >> "\n" HISAR
      ^!Jump 1

      I hope that this solves all of the problems with this business. It sure
      turned out to be a lot more complicated than I anticipated. ê¿ê

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Bob Gorman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
        At 10:31 AM 6/1/2003, Larry wrote:
        >Hi All,
        >
        >I have found that the ^!Replace command should really be treated like a
        >poisonous cobra in the clip editor,
        <snip>
        >A possible solution to this is to select the entire contents of the clip
        >editor and use the H option to limit the search and replace to the
        >selected/highlighted text.

        I like this approach to reducing the snakes venom....

        >Here is the changed clip:
        >
        >H="Remove Trailing Spaces"
        >;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
        >;06/01/2003, 09:24:11 AM
        >;With help from "Alec Burgess" <burale@...>
        >;and "Mark B." <breaumark@...>
        >^!Select All
        >^!Replace "\s+\n" >> "\n" HISAR
        >^!Jump 1

        I have installed this version, slightly modified
        (I removed the ^!Select All & ^!Jump 1)
        in my clip library and clipbar.

        >I hope that this solves all of the problems with this business. It sure
        >turned out to be a lot more complicated than I anticipated.

        Yes, but it also provided many incremental learnings both:
        specific to finding & replacing
        use of regedit functions
        and generic such as :
        Use of Info boxes during the debug stage
        Recovery techniques like (just close and reopen the clip panel without saving)

        It has been most helpful for me in learning to cleanup MIME formatted forum
        libraries.

        > ê¿ê
        Even fancy character graphics.

        Bob

        "To create New Answers; you must ask New Questions."
        - Bob Gorman
        http://www.kncell.org

      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
          Hi Bob,

          At 11:25 AM 6/1/03 -0400, you wrote:
          >At 10:31 AM 6/1/2003, Larry wrote:
          >>H="Remove Trailing Spaces"
          >>;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
          >>;06/01/2003, 09:24:11 AM
          >>;With help from "Alec Burgess" <burale@...>
          >>;and "Mark B." <breaumark@...>
          >>^!Select All
          >>^!Replace "\s+\n" >> "\n" HISAR
          >>^!Jump 1
          >
          >I have installed this version, slightly modified
          >(I removed the ^!Select All & ^!Jump 1)
          >in my clip library and clipbar.

          Welll, ok but you have removed the safety feature. If nothing is selected,
          the clip will still replace everthing in the library starting from the clip
          to the end of the library. The only other way you can avoid this is to
          copy the clip and paste new to a new document and run the clip on it there.
          It actually does not need the ^!Jump 1 line. I just put that there out of
          personal preference to clear the selection and restore the cursor to the
          beginning of the clip. But ^!Select All is necessary if you want to
          restrict your replace to the current clip because select all will not
          select the whole library but only the clip in the clip editor window. And
          as I said before, if you have nothing selected, then the H option has no
          effect at all. It is just ignored.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
            Bob Gorman wrote:

            >At 10:31 AM 6/1/2003, Larry wrote:
            >
            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > I have found that the ^!Replace command should really
            > > be treated like a poisonous cobra in the clip editor,
            >
            ><snip>
            >
            > > A possible solution to this is to select the entire
            > > contents of the clip editor and use the H option
            > > to limit the search and replace to the
            > > selected/highlighted text.
            >

            >I like this approach to reducing the snakes venom....
            >
            > > Here is the changed clip:
            > >
            > > H="Remove Trailing Spaces"
            > > ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
            > > ;06/01/2003, 09:24:11 AM
            > > ;With help from "Alec Burgess" <burale@...>
            > > ;and "Mark B." <breaumark@...>
            > > ^!Select All
            > > ^!Replace "\s+\n" >> "\n" HISAR
            > > ^!Jump 1

            Trailing blanks;

            If you check View/Options/Documents/Trim White Spaces, then, if/when
            using the clip editor Trailing Blanks are automatically deleted when the
            clip is saved and the editor closed.

            When editing a clip/clipbook that is Open As A Document trailing blanks
            are deleted in the copy saved to disk, not in the visible copy. If you
            close and reload the clipbook trailing blanks will be gone.

            For the occasions when you don't want to close/reopen a file the clip
            below will remove trailing blanks from a selected area. You can select
            this area either before or during clip execution.

            The clip displays a banner to remind you to make a selection to operate
            on. The trigger action may be changed from a 'copy' action to a
            "keypress" by changing the comment semicolon of the 'IfFalse and IfTrue'
            commands.

            hrs

            H="Remove Trailing Spaces"
            ; make selection, run clip
            ; Hugo's replace regexp with
            ; current options works
            ; on selected text only
            ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
            ^!SetWordWrap 0
            ^!IfCancel END
            ;¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
            ^!SetClipboard ^%Empty%
            ^!StatusShow Select and Copy area to remove Spaces...
            :EWL
            ^!SetHintInfo SELECT AND COPY AREA TO REMOVE SPACES...
            ^!Delay 1
            ;
            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetClipboard$)$ EWL
            ;^!IfFalse ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$ EWL
            ;^!IfFalse ^$IsShiftKeyDown$ EWL
            ;____________/
            ^!Set %gr%=^$GetRow$
            ^!Replace "\s+\n" >> "\n" HRSA
            ^!Jump ^%gr%
            :END
            ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
              Hi Harvey,

              At 12:53 PM 6/1/03 -0500, you wrote:
              >Trailing blanks;
              >
              >If you check View/Options/Documents/Trim White Spaces, then, if/when
              >using the clip editor Trailing Blanks are automatically deleted when the
              >clip is saved and the editor closed.
              >
              >When editing a clip/clipbook that is Open As A Document trailing blanks
              >are deleted in the copy saved to disk, not in the visible copy. If you
              >close and reload the clipbook trailing blanks will be gone.
              >
              >For the occasions when you don't want to close/reopen a file the clip
              >below will remove trailing blanks from a selected area. You can select
              >this area either before or during clip execution.
              >
              >The clip displays a banner to remind you to make a selection to operate
              >on. The trigger action may be changed from a 'copy' action to a
              >"keypress" by changing the comment semicolon of the 'IfFalse and IfTrue'
              >commands.

              I think your clip will work just fine although I think mine is simpler. It
              is possible that Bob wanted to manually select the lines that he wanted
              trimmed and that is why he removed the select all line. I do like the idea
              of setting the options to Trim Blanks very much though and I have now set
              mine to do so. I have tried it and it appears to work very well and it
              does not fail as Modify/Line/Trim Blanks does.

              Thank you Harvey.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
            • Bob Gorman
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
                At 01:07 PM 6/1/2003, you wrote:

                >Welll, ok but you have removed the safety feature. If nothing is selected,
                >the clip will still replace everthing in the library starting from the clip
                >to the end of the library.

                This I did not know.

                >But ^!Select All is necessary if you want to
                >restrict your replace to the current clip because select all will not
                >select the whole library but only the clip in the clip editor window. And
                >as I said before, if you have nothing selected, then the H option has no
                >effect at all. It is just ignored.

                Again, thanks for the new info.

                Bob

                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men
                ....Frederick Douglass