Re: Copying & preserving subdirectories

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2003
      I realize if this goes any further the xxcopy thread should be moved to off-topic, but since I don't know if David belongs to that list, I'll answer this here.

      I've been using xcopy for years, more years than I care to remember, and it's always been a powerful tool for me. But yesterday I finally downloaded xxcopy and have been like a kid in a toy store playing with it ever since. :)

      Now on the other hand (and bear in mind I'm a complete newbie to xxcopy so I'm probably wrong) I can't see any advantage to using xxcopy (freeware version anyway) to create a folder directory with the current date as opposed to having NoteTab doing it. I can do it with xxcopy but I'll get a nag message before it does, or else I have to run xxcopy twice (the first time to create the new folder stamped with the current date).. Whereas the following single line NoteTab clip does just exactly what I want (backs up NoteTab into a zip disk folder named with the current date).

      ^!Dos xxcopy "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro\" "D:\^$GetDate(yyyy-mmdd)$\Program Files\Notetab Pro\" /backup /PB30000 /AC /Q3

      Any way I slice it though, the combination of NoteTab Clips and xxcopy makes for some very interesting and powerful possibilities when it comes to file and disk processing.

      I very much appreciate the info David and hrs.. :)

      John