Please Remove Text not Needed to Understand Reply

    Message 1 of 23 , May 8, 2003
      Hi All,

      Please remove text that is not needed to understand your reply.
      It costs some list members to download by the KB and they do not
      need to be paying for things 2-3 times for no reason at all. It
      only takes a few seconds longer, plus it is much easier to read
      the replies if we do not have to wade through whole messages
      sometimes 2 pages long to get to the reply. TIA!

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

    • David Elliott
      Message 2 of 23 , May 8, 2003
        Thank you all for your help.

        I noticed the ommission, Sheri, but that was a good piece of code off
        the top of your head.

        As one of you noted, timing is critical, you have to woo the
        application you are trying to interact with - if you move too fast
        you end up with nothing ;-).

        I have had very mixed success so far. Sometimes it works, other
        times it does the focus but the ctrl+o | alt+d do not connect. I am
        continuing to play with timings and will try some of the timing loops
        suggested. I've already learned a number of tricks here and hope to
        be able to return the favor. For example, anyone want some code to
        build a link list from a CSV table with link text, URL, comment and
        country of origin? Code barter, gotta love it!

        DE

        PS - what is best when you are posting through the web - wrap or no-
        wrap the message text? I'm still learning the ropes here.
        Message 3 of 23 , May 8, 2003
          Hi Sheri, David, & Others,

          Grin and bear it or Delete. ;)

          >According to the Help file, ^!Playback is related to ^!Typeback
          >(and therefore to ^!Pasteback). The purpose of these commands is
          >to return processed text from the clipboard to an application
          >(other than Notetab). I believe these commands only work within
          >"OnClipboardChange" clips.

          I use ^!PasteBack in almost every message I send. I use it to
          call up FAQs so to speak and format eMail all done remotely from
          my eMail client all the day long just about. In fact, I would
          never be able to process the amount of support mail that I do
          without using/having ^!PasteBack which I believe is the fastest
          of the three Sheri mentioned above.

          Sheri, I think it would be more accurate to say that
          ^!OnClipboardChange has to be used to monitor the Clipboard and
          then take an action depending on what you tell NoteTab to do in
          the ^!OnClipboardChange (or maybe you said that - haha).

          I have the script go to a Clip sometimes via a :Label which in
          turn calls a Clip and then back to the ^!OnClipboardChange for
          final processing to ship back to my eMail client, sometimes I
          ^!Goto Exit in the called Clip, switch Libraries, run programs if
          desired, do it all in _OnClipBoardChange, just a quick
          _OnClipBoardChange then directly to a Clip then run it, and on
          and on she goes....

          I'd just glance at the following H=_OnClipBoardChange. If there
          is no match in the following from when I copy/cut with the
          ^!IfSame testing statement, it checks to see if it is an eMail
          format (reformat I suppose;) and if not then it checks the Clips
          for a match, basically what the PasteClips Library shows using
          like "ys" (Yours Sincerely) which is ^!PasteBack in its simplest
          form, but the way I use it mostly, besides reformatting eMail.

          So, if I type in my eMail message "cd" without the quotes and
          copy/cut it, then NoteTab will return to my selection or cut text
          and paste whatever is in the Clip called "cd" without the quotes.
          ("wo" returns "without the quotes" when copied or cut to the
          Clipboard <g>). I'll do "cd" without the quotes after part of
          the OnClipboardChange Clip directly below. (calc is like totally
          kewl as the younger generation might say. :) "cdinfo" below is
          not the same as "cd". In my teens it would have been "far out,"
          radical man," "hip," "groovy man" and others whom might remember
          the psychedelic daze. ;)

          H=_OnClipBoardChange
          ; Jody Adair <Jody@...>, 05-18-1999
          ; OnClipBoardChange PasteBack & eMail Format
          ; Requires NoteTab ver. 4.6a or above.
          ^!SetIniFile ntbUsers
          ^!IfFalse "^$GetValue(NoteBack:OnChange)$" End
          ^!ClipBoardSave
          ^!IfSame "nc" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" LoadNC
          ^!IfSame "?" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;1)$" ???
          ^!IfSame "cdinfo" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;6)$" CD
          ^!IfSame "u=" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Yahoo
          ^!IfSame "ds" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Space
          ^!IfSame "rf>>" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Reformat3
          ^!IfSame "rf>" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;3)$" Reformat2
          ^!IfSame "rf" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Reformat1
          ^!IfSame "--" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" UnQuote
          ^!IfSame "pk" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" PK
          ^!IfSame "pm" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" PM
          ^!IfSame "-" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;1)$" DoAll
          ^!IfSame "to" "^$GetClipboard$" TurnOff
          ^!IfSame "jl" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" JoinLines
          ^!IfSame "lnts" "^$GetClipboard$" RunStd
          ^!IfSame "w6" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" RunWW
          ^!IfSame "From: " "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;6)$" Eric
          ^!IfSame "linux" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;5)$" CopyClip
          ^!IfSame "lr" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" CopyClip
          ^!IfSame "l" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;1)$" Link
          ^!IfSame "calc" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;4)$" Calc
          ^!If "^$GetClipboardSize$" > "50" FormatMail
          :CopyClip
          ^!CopyClip "^$GetClipboard$"
          ^!IfError End
          ^!PasteBack
          ^!SetClipboard ^%Empty%
          ^!ClipBoardRestore
          ^!Goto Minimize
          :LoadNC
          ^!LoadLibrary NC
          ^!Goto Exit
          :???
          ^!ActivateApp
          ^!Clip "HelpDesk"
          ^!Goto Minimize
          :FormatMail
          ^!IfSame ">>" "^$StrCopy("^$GetClipboard$";1;2)$" Next else Skip_2
          ^!Clip ">>"
          <pretty big snip>

          So, at this point if there was not a match on anything, then the
          Clips are searched and in this case it is looking for "cd"
          without the quotes. Directly below skipping one line I type in
          "cd" without the quotes and will Copy (Ctrl+C) the "cd" or I
          could Cut. The main thing here is _OnClipboardChange, the Clip
          "cd", ^!PasteBack, some ^!Keyboard for my mail client... So,
          skip line, type in cd and Copy. NoteTab returns all the
          following (minus my default sig-line for the Clips list) w/o me
          ever doing anything but type in "cd" and Copy:

          I am the only person that handles our software on CD. If you have
          more than one Fookes Software program registered, I can add them on
          the CD at no extra charge; see cd-info.htm below for details and/or
          write me. The CD-ROMs have many extras on them; check it out at:

          Order Fookes Software through me on CD...
          http://www.notetab.net/order
          Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
          http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
          Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
          http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
          Order form to print and information to read...
          http://www.notetab.net/order/prtorder.htm
          Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
          http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm

          I also run quite a few discussion mailing lists for our products.
          You can get fast, courteous, and useful help on them.

          If you sign up for any, please do not post questions about Clips and
          scripting languages on the Basic list. More difficult tasks like
          regular expressions and other scripting code should be posted on the
          Clips or Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list. In
          short, please leave the Basic list for the very basic use of NoteTab.
          Thanks!!!

          ---- my signature line might normally follow here, but not always. ---

          I can do whatever at this point. Perhaps I need a price quote of
          3 copies of NoteTab Pro. I type in calc3*19.95 then copy/cut it.
          So, I skip a line below then cut the calc3*19.95 and NoteTab
          spits out the following. <g> I could add a CD and processing fee
          as well into the calc. In shot, if I can do just about
          everything that I can do in NoteTab from any edit window.

          3*19.95 = 59.85

          The following is done by copying "fs" (for Fookes Software).

          Please check out our other freeware and shareware:

          Fookes Software
          http://www.fookes.com/products.htm
          http://www.fookes.com/order.htm

          I have a number of Clipbook Libraries and Clips at my NoteTabbers
          Assistant Page (that work in our freeware and two different
          shareware versions).

          My NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          http://www.notetab.net
          http://www.notetab.net/order
          Loaded CD-ROM:
          http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
          http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm

          ---

          If I forget the keyword(s)/letter(s) to type in, I copy a
          question mark "?" which brings them all up in a wizard or the
          ones I listed should I say. At that time I can double-click the
          reply I want or press Cancel. ;) "l" el, is for links to pull up
          in a wizard. netz, netl, nets ^!PasteBack my main pages
          www.notetab.net pages: zip, libraries, Snatch-A-Clip links,
          respectively.

          OK, 'nuff said. :-) Well, almost. The amount of hours that I
          save doing support work/mail are really and truly countless.
          Hundreds of man hours per week I suppose/'spect... :) Maybe a
          few 1000; hard to say, but it is a lot!

          Message 4 of 23 , May 8, 2003
            Interesting problem with the delay feature. If the clip is not able
            to ^!Keyboard the chosen sequence and the clip terminates, NoteTab
            appears to continue to generate a waiting state. You can interact
            with NoteTab but it generates 99% CPU utilization if you examine the
            Windows Processes in WinNT Win2K or WinXP (ctrl+shift+esc). I don't
            see any way of stopping it programmatically and you can't close
            NoteTab while it is in this state.

            Has anyone else noted this behavior?

            DE
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 23 , May 8, 2003
              Hi David,

              At 01:14 PM 5/8/03 +0000, you wrote:
              >As one of you noted, timing is critical, you have to woo the
              >application you are trying to interact with - if you move too fast
              >you end up with nothing ;-).

              Depending on what pages you're trying to capture, there can be interference. For example I believe a web page can run its own script and steal the focus or disable keyboard macros. Popup ads can also wreak havoc.

              I once made a clip to save pages from the web that worked fine on one series of web pages and not at all on another. I did finally get the 2nd set, but I had to incorporate an add-in to mouse click at a certain screen coordinate (where a "Next" icon appeared on the pages in question) in order to load the subsequent page(s).

              Popup ads can also wreak havoc.

              BTW, something else you can try is replacing Ctrl+O with

              ^!Keyboard Alt+F
              ^!Delay 5
              ^!Keyboard O

              >PS - what is best when you are posting through the web - wrap or no-
              >wrap the message text? I'm still learning the ropes here.

              I used to post to this group through the web, and still do on some others. In my experience there is no difference in wrap vs no-wrap. Yahoo must have a bug in its message editor. It also has a frustrating penchant for inserting extra hard wraps in quoted sections of a reply. Oh well.

            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 23 , May 8, 2003
                At 02:25 PM 5/8/03 +0000, you wrote:
                >Interesting problem with the delay feature. If the clip is not able
                >to ^!Keyboard the chosen sequence and the clip terminates, NoteTab
                >appears to continue to generate a waiting state. You can interact
                >with NoteTab but it generates 99% CPU utilization if you examine the
                >Windows Processes in WinNT Win2K or WinXP (ctrl+shift+esc). I don't
                >see any way of stopping it programmatically and you can't close
                >NoteTab while it is in this state.
                >
                >Has anyone else noted this behavior?
                >
                >DE

                To halt a clip in process, you just need to press Ctrl+Alt.

                Regards,
                Sheri :)
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 23 , May 8, 2003
                  Hey Jody, welcome back!

                  I know you were referring to your clip named OnClipboardChange, but newbies are going to think there is an ^!OnClipboardChange change command! Sheesh! <G>

                  ^!Pasteback is pretty cool and powerful, the way you use it.

                  I know ^!Pasteback is one of very commands Pro-only clip commands, so I wonder if ^!Typeback and ^!Playback (since they are related) are also Pro-only features. Or maybe they are NTL/NTS compatible ways of doing pastebacks. Do you know?

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 8, 2003
                    Hi Sheri,

                    ...another can of worms just opened. :-)

                    >Hey Jody, welcome back!

                    Thanks! haha - <vbg> Just trying to keep my head above water.
                    Ya'll did a number to me in the beta testing of EzImager - my
                    head was spinning every which way, but loose. ;) I did have a
                    lot of medical stuff going on also.

                    >I know you were referring to your clip named OnClipboardChange,
                    >but newbies are going to think there is an ^!OnClipboardChange
                    >change command! Sheesh! <G>

                    I see your point.

                    OnClipboardChange
                    OnOpen
                    OnClose

                    ...4 of them total. The other is ^!TimerPlay. In Help | Help on
                    Clipbook Programming | Contents | Events <-- Read it. :)

                    >^!Pasteback is pretty cool and powerful, the way you use it.
                    >
                    >I know ^!Pasteback is one of very commands Pro-only clip
                    >commands, so I wonder if ^!Typeback and ^!Playback (since they
                    >are related) are also Pro-only features. Or maybe they are
                    >NTL/NTS compatible ways of doing pastebacks. Do you know?

                    It should work in Pro and Std (and trial versions), but not in
                    Light, at least according to Help, but I will prove Help wrong
                    further below.

                    "^!PasteBack
                    Unlike the "^!Paste" command, which pastes the Clipboard content
                    into the current NoteTab document, "^!PasteBack" attempts to
                    paste into the last control that copied text to the Clipboard
                    (the control is not reset when text is copied through Clip
                    commands). Thanks to this command, you can paste text processed
                    by the Clipbook into practically any active application. Note
                    that this feature is only available in the commercial and trial
                    versions of NoteTab."

                    I'm using Std currently with the Library I always use for
                    eMail/support, etc. and it works. In theory, it should work in
                    Light also, so I'll test with. Yes, it works in Light also. ;)

                    This is like what we talked about a few months ago that all the
                    Clip Code should work in all versions so long as the version has
                    the feature. In other words, Std/Light does not have all the
                    features that Pro has as you know. If there is Clip Code for a
                    feature in Pro that does not exist in Std/Light, then the Clip
                    Code does not exist in Std/Light because the feature does not
                    exist. Got all that? :) (Yes, Help is wrong <grin>). It was
                    never updated from when Eric made all versions compatible with
                    all the Clip Code with the aforementioned exception.

                    You remember that your argument was that all Clips should be
                    tested in all versions. Mine was if everything was working as
                    advertised, then no testing in Std/Light should be needed so long
                    as one knows the Clip Code exists in Std/Light (as per feature).

                    As you proved though, Sheri, (and I know of at least one or two
                    more) there are some slight differences and in my eyes they
                    should be considered as that word we don't like to use; <g> so,
                    they should be considered glitches ;), and they will/should be
                    fixed in v5. Perhaps they could even be considered as an
                    oversight by Eric at the time. :)

                    Whew!

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 8, 2003
                      Sheri

                      Doh! I'm not such a newbie as I don't know the ctrl+alt =)

                      I had already tried that. The point is the clip had already
                      terminated itself. You could click menu items or change tabs, etc.
                      However, you could not close NoteTab!

                      I'm not sure how Eric has implemented the ^!Delay function, but I
                      suspect it spawns a thread that loops and then reactivates the clip.
                      When the clip makes an abnormal exit, the thread may not be properly
                      terminated so it sits there eating processor cycles and interfering
                      with shutting down. Regardless of how the clip terminates through
                      user action or an error, NoteTab *should* clean up any processes, but
                      it doesn't appear to be doing so in this instance. I smell a bug.

                      Has anyone else seen this phenomenon? I'm going to fool around a bit
                      more with the code to try to identify precisely what is happening and
                      then post the offending pice here.
                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 8, 2003
                        David Elliott wrote:

                        >Sheri
                        >
                        >Doh! I'm not such a newbie as I don't know the ctrl+alt =)
                        >
                        >I had already tried that. The point is the clip had already
                        >terminated itself. You could click menu items or change tabs, etc.
                        >However, you could not close NoteTab!
                        >
                        >I'm not sure how Eric has implemented the ^!Delay function, but I
                        >suspect it spawns a thread that loops and then reactivates the clip.
                        >When the clip makes an abnormal exit, the thread may not be properly
                        >terminated so it sits there eating processor cycles and interfering
                        >with shutting down. Regardless of how the clip terminates through
                        >user action or an error, NoteTab *should* clean up any processes, but
                        >it doesn't appear to be doing so in this instance. I smell a bug.
                        >
                        >Has anyone else seen this phenomenon? I'm going to fool around a bit
                        >more with the code to try to identify precisely what is happening and
                        >then post the offending pice here.

                        David,

                        I've never seen the symptom as you describe it, although, I have seen
                        loops that were so persistant that you had to depress Ctrl+Alt over an
                        extended period because the loop repeated so rapidly it was difficult to
                        get the keyboard to recognize another keypress.

                        With a loop involving ^!Keyboard commands you could be in double
                        jeopardy since the loop may be eating all the keyboard functionallity,
                        thus, crowding out other keyboard input.

                        hrs.
                      • David Elliott
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 8, 2003
                          I didn't make it clear enough. I *believe* the clip has terminated
                          since I can interact with the NoteTab menu, etc. It is my belief
                          that I could not do that if the clip was still active. I have
                          written endless loops by mistake (Haven't we all :p ) and you
                          couldn't interact with the program at all until you pressed the
                          ctrl+alt. That is most decidedly not the case here. As I stated
                          previously, it acts very much like a thread that doesn't get
                          terminated.

                          DE
                        • Sheri
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 9, 2003
                            Hi David,

                            At 09:44 PM 5/8/03 +0000, you wrote:
                            >I didn't make it clear enough. I *believe* the clip has terminated
                            >since I can interact with the NoteTab menu, etc. It is my belief
                            >that I could not do that if the clip was still active. I have
                            >written endless loops by mistake (Haven't we all :p ) and you
                            >couldn't interact with the program at all until you pressed the
                            >ctrl+alt. That is most decidedly not the case here. As I stated
                            >previously, it acts very much like a thread that doesn't get
                            >terminated.
                            >
                            >DE

                            I guess you've never realized that you CAN interact with Notetab, including editing documents AND using menus while a clip is active. You can even run other clips. The active clip must be testing for a condition within a loop. At times this is quite useful. You can change libraries, but if you close the clipbook (F4) the clip quits. While running the following clip I am also able to quit Notetab (which also quits the clip).

                            H="Solitairecatcher"
                            :Loop
                            ^!IfAppOpen "Solitaire" Next Else Loop
                            ^!ActivateApp
                            ^!IfMatch "NoteTab.*" "^$GetAppTitle$" Next Else Skip_-1
                            ^!Info Get back to work!!
                            ;end of clip

                            You can build clips that prompt you to edit the document and signal when to resume the clip. The resume test most often used is one or a combination of these (but be careful because Ctrl+Alt stops the clip):

                            ^$IsAltKeyDown$
                            ^$IsCtrlKeyDown$
                            ^$IsShiftKeyDown$

                            Example:

                            H="Pause"
                            ^!Prompt Clip "^$GetClipName$" Processing Paused, press Alt+Shift to resume
                            :Wait
                            ^!SetHintinfo Clip "^$GetClipName$" Processing Paused, press Alt+Shift to resume
                            ^!If ^$Calc(^$IsAltKeyDown$*^$IsShiftKeyDown$)$=0 Wait
                            ^!Prompt Clip Resumed
                            ;end of clip

                          • David Elliott
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 9, 2003
                              I think the title says it all.

                              To date, most of my clips have involved heavy duty within NoteTab
                              text processing, occasionally with little excursions to run FTP
                              scripts. This remote control of other programs is new to me and I
                              never realized all the ramifications. I noted one of the posters
                              comments that you sometimes have to press ctrl+alt for quite a while
                              to halt a clip with a delay loop in it. That was the trick. I never
                              had to do that previously to halt a clip and had presumed that my
                              simple ctrl+alt had done the trick since I could return to using
                              NoteTab.

                              Thanks for your patient explanations, everyone.

                              And regarding that bug I was worried about - I just looked in the
                              mirror and found it. <:(

                              DE
                            • David Elliott
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 14, 2003
                                Sheri asked:
                                > BTW, how did your IE/web page printing clip work out?

                                Very well - the final debugged version is below. With this example I
                                printed out a 286 page document that was stored as serially numbered
                                individual page PDFs. It was worth the trouble to automate the
                                process, since I have similar one to print coming up.

                                The delay loop was a very neat trick to keep the process moving as
                                fast as possible without the clip getting ahead of itself. I had to
                                add a delay between the paste and enter for reliability.

                                Once again, many thanks.

                                A couple of forum questions:
                                1) It appears that some folks have a clip for formatting clips for
                                posting (handling long lines) - I did some searching for discussion of
                                this but couldn't find anything, nor could I find one in the libraries.
                                2)Is there a way to get all the messages in a thread - I have tried
                                various techniques but "expand messages" doesn't work consistently and
                                the list sometimes is missing replies. Is this just a failing of the
                                Yahoo forum software??

                                DE

                                ===============================

                                Autoprint
                                ^!Set %i%="1"
                                :TOP
                                ^!SetClipboard http://print.nap.edu/pdf/0309068371/pdf_image/R^%i%.pdf
                                ^!FocusApp "*Internet Explorer"
                                ^!Delay 10
                                ^!IfMatch ".*Internet Explorer$" "^$GetAppTitle$" Next Else Skip_-1
                                ^!Set %Old%="^$GetAppTitle$"
                                ^!Delay 10
                                ^!Keyboard CTRL+O
                                ^!Delay 10
                                ^!IfSame "Open" "^$GetAppTitle$" Next Else Skip_-1
                                ^!Delay 10
                                ^!Keyboard CTRL+V &1000 ENTER
                                ^!Delay 10
                                ^!IfMatch ".*Internet Explorer$" "^$GetAppTitle$" Next Else Skip_-1
                                ^!Set %New%="^$GetAppTitle$"
                                ^!Delay 10
                                ^!IfDiff "^%New%" "^%Old%" NEXT Else Skip_-1
                                ^!Keyboard Ctrl+P
                                ^!Delay 10
                                ^!IfSame "Print" "^$GetAppTitle$" NEXT Else Skip_-1
                                ^!Keyboard ENTER
                                ^!Inc %i%
                                ^!If "^%i%" > "286" DONE
                                ^!Goto TOP