Re: [Clip] New File Name

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2003
      Hi RL,

      As far as I know you cannot do this. You can work around this by making a
      Template file and using a clip to open it. This is my template for
      creating a new batch file from NoteTab.

      = DocTemplate ClipCode "C:\BATCH\Batch%0.2d.bat"
      Rem
      Rem ^$GetDate(mmmm d, yyyy hh:mm am/pm)$
      Rem Lawrence R. Thomas
      Rem larryt@...
      @echo off
      ^&

      Running the clip below:

      New BatDoc
      ^!Open ^$GetTemplatePath$Batch.tpl

      Which opens a new file named Batch01.bat with contents as below:

      Rem
      Rem April 14, 2003 08:32 pm
      Rem Lawrence R. Thomas
      Rem larryt@...
      @echo off

      I hope this helps.

      At 09:25 PM 4/14/03 -0000, you wrote:
      >I was trying to get the New File Name on the Preferences tab in
      >Options to automatically date the file name? Is that possible?

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2003
        Hi Richard,

        I misread this post and I thought that you wanted to place the date into
        the document. I see upon reading it again that you want the date in the
        file name. You still cannot do this with the options settings but here is
        a clip that opens and renames a new document using the Getdate function.
        Just enter the clip to a library and make a clipbar button to run it. It
        does have a problem that requires you to enter a name for each new file. I
        cannot use ^## because the built-in routine for opening Noname??.txt files
        gets boggled when you rename sucessive files without saving them.

        It makes for example

        03-04-15 04 55 NoName06.txt

        and then the next one is just NoName06.txt.

        The rename command fails because I already have a file called 03-04-15 04
        55 NoName06.txt open on the tab. Of course it should use another number
        for the file but since I renamed the first file, it uses the number over
        again which causes the problem. So you can see why I decided to use a
        wizard in the clip. It has another problem in that you cannot add slashes
        (/) or (\) or colons (:) to the file name if you decide to modify the clip.
        And finally the document tabs get very wide which cannot be helped if you
        are going to add that much information to them. I put the date in yymmdd
        format for easier sorting by name in your foulders.

        Open & Rename To Date
        ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
        ;04/15/2003, 04:45:01 AM
        ^!Toolbar New Document
        ^!RenameDoc ^$GetDate(yy-mm-dd hh mm)$ ^?{Enter a File Name^=}.txt

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15, 2003
          Hi Richard,

          The previous clip enters a file name/dare as:

          03-04-15 07 19 NoName06.txt

          The Clip Below creates:

          Tuesday April,15,2003 07 38 50 AM NoName06.txt

          2Open & Rename To Date
          ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
          ;04/15/2003, 07:41:02 AM
          ^!Toolbar New Document
          ^!RenameDoc ^$GetDate(dddd mmmm,dd,yyyy hh mm ss AM/PM)$ ^?{Enter a File
          Name^=}.txt

          Why not go clip crazy? !-)

          Regards,

          Larry