Re: [Clip] Looking for clip/ method to alphabetise document/file tab bar in NoteTab

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2003
      I think someone (Jody?) once discussed on this list a clip that would do
      this, but in the past when I've wanted to accomplish it I've created a new
      Favorite, Added all open documents to it, opened the .fav file that Notetab
      creates in its ...\Favorites\ folder, used sort alphabetically to order it
      as I wish, closed it, then closed ALL, then used Favorites-fav-Open All
      options.

      You could write a clip that does all this.

      If all your files are in the same folder then sorting by full-path name
      (which is contained in the favorites file) will be trivially correct and
      give you what you want. If not you might need special logic in the clip you
      right to grab the file-name from the file-spec and put it at the beginning
      prior to doing the sort.

      I think something like this would work:

      ^!replace "{^.*\\}{.*}$" >> "\2\t\1\2" rwsa
      ^!menu modify/lines/sort/ascending
      ^!replace "^.*\t" >> "" rwsa

      Regards ... Alec
      --�

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2003
        Hi Alec (Not Jim)

        Here are a couple of clips to do this from me. Run the clip below and when
        the Favorites dialog opens you can right-click on it and sort it. Then run
        the second clip which will close all the files and reopen them all again in
        the sorted order. You will lose the information about which doc tab is in
        focus and where your cursor focus is in each file so you might want to be
        careful if that is important to you.

        Update Current Favorites
        ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
        ;10/11/1999, 12:51:56 PM
        ^!DeleteFile ^$GetFavoritePath$Active.fvr
        ^!SaveFavorites Active
        ^!Toolbar Go to Favorites

        Restore Favorites
        ;Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
        ;10/11/1999, 12:51:56 PM
        ;Closes All Files and Restore Active Favorites
        ^!Close All
        ^!OpenFavorites Active

        At 01:37 PM 4/13/03 -0400, you wrote:
        >I think someone (Jody?) once discussed on this list a clip that would do
        >this, but in the past when I've wanted to accomplish it I've created a new
        >Favorite, Added all open documents to it, opened the .fav file that Notetab
        >creates in its ...\Favorites\ folder, used sort alphabetically to order it
        >as I wish, closed it, then closed ALL, then used Favorites-fav-Open All
        >options.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • telling_truth_to_power
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2003
          Alternatively, you could create an array out of all the open
          document names and then sort it. You could then loop through the
          array, focusing on the docs in order.

          I am assuming you are wanting to assemble things in order and the
          ordered tabs was just a possible means, not an end in itself. If you
          still need the ordered tabs, you can still make the ordered array,
          close all documents, and then step through the array opening
          documents in indexed order.

          If you think this approach might work but need some help, just holler!

          David Elliott

          PS, I'm a long time NoteTabber and a fairly proficient clip writer -
          I just found this group and will be dropping in from time to time.
          And if Jody is around, I'd just like to say hi and thanks for the
          past help.