      From: Jody [mailto:av1611@...]
      Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 8:23 AM
      To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Clip] Is NoteTab Lite with Clips good for newsletter
      templates?

      Hi Evan,

      >Despite the fact that I have been using NTL for about 8 months, I
      >have not explored all it's possibilities. Now I have a problem
      >that might be amenable to solution using NTL and clips.
      >
      >I want to set up a template for a weekly email newsletter I
      >compile and edit. I don't want to have to manually enter stuff
      >for every newsletter, like dates, headings and so on.

      I don't use templates myself; Clips are much faster for me. I do
      know a lot of people prefer templates though.

      >So, it is possible, and how would I: Create a template that would
      >insert a heading, a date and a disclaimer into a txt file?

      <--- Copy below this line --->
      H=Newsletter Clip
      ; http:/www.notetab.net, Jody
      ^!Toolbar New Document
      Type your heading here.

      ^$GetDate(mmmm dd, yyyy)$ (See Date and Time filters in Help.)

      After clicking Clip paste your body here. Uh, try the body
      of your newsletter. <g>

      Type in your Disclaimer here.

      <--- Copy above this line --->
      <--- Right click over a Library --->
      <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

      >It would be great if I could drop articles into a form and have
      >them formatted too, and a reference inserted to that article in
      >the table of contents, but maybe I am asking too much?

      Everybody formats differently. I would at least put the
      following on your Toolbar: Join Lines, Split Lines, Reformat
      Lines..., all the case tools listed under Modify | Text Case, E-
      Mail quote and unquote, spell-checker, Replace dialog, and
      anything else you might think of.

      Try these two Libraries for formatting text. Perhaps you can get
      a few you like. Unfortunately you are not in a registered
      version so you cannot make a Clipbar especially for your
      newsletter.

      http://www.notetab.net/zip/eForm'r.zip
      http://www.notetab.net/zip/reformat.zip

      The following deals with the long/short line syndrome: Join
      Lines, Reformat Lines, Wrap to Column.

      Reformat Lines under the Modify can give you a long/short line
      effect if you are giving it a right margin that is longer than
      your document edit window's width. The reason is when you use
      the Reformat tool it completely strips all the hard line breaks
      from the paragraphs and then splits each line at the column that
      you specify in the dialog box. So, if your document edit window
      is at about 70 characters wide *and* you have word wrap *on* and
      you split the lines at 80 characters the line will *word wrap* at
      about 70 columns leaving about 10 characters wrapped to the next
      line. The reason only 10 or so characters will be there is
      because at about 80 characters NoteTab put the hard line break
      in. Press Ctrl+W and you will see the short lines wrap up to the
      longer ones above. I used "about at" so many characters, because
      it depends on where a whole word falls on how close it will be
      split, up to 80 columns above.

      One of the disadvantages of the Reformat Tool is the long/short
      line effect especially when distributing your work elsewhere
      because you do not know what settings the end user will have set.
      Another is, NoteTab will join *all* the lines together in one
      paragraph that do not have a blank line following them. So, if
      you have a list of items that are numbered or the like one line
      after each other, they will all be joined and then split at where
      you specified. You need to select different sections of the
      document at a time.

      When you Join Lines or using the Reformat tool, all lines that are
      not double spaced will be joined to each other. Be careful when
      doing whole documents looking out for lists of things. If Join
      Lines or the ReFormat Lines tool is used on the following:

      1. NoteTab Pro
      2. NoteTab Std
      3. MailBag Assistant
      4. Album Express
      5. Screen Savers

      NoteTab would join the lines so that the following would be the
      new format and most likely not what you want:

      1. NoteTab Pro 2. NoteTab Std 3. MailBag Assistant 4. Album Express 5.
      Screen Savers

      There is also Wrap to Column under the Document Properties menu.
      If the lines are not joined before you use it, you can also get a
      long/short line effect. Let's say the line are already hard
      wrapped at 78 and then you set column wrap to 70 you will end up
      with 70 & 8 character lines, or in the neighborhood thereof. You
      want to use Join Lines first if you are in that situation. On a
      side note, if you wrap to say column 78 and then open it in
      another editor or program the text will not be wrapped at 78. Wrap
      to Column use a soft wrap like word wrap. If you want to split
      the lines at 78 in this case select all (Ctrl+A) the text and use
      the Split Lines tool. That will enter the hard line breaks needed
      to retain the column width you desire.

      http://www.notetab.net