8395Re: [Clip] Clip Call

  • Jim Hall
    Apr 17 7:35 AM
      Dah,
      At 04:34 PM 4/16/2002 +0000, you wrote:

      >This is all very well, but seems a bit awkward.
      >
      >For example, if the underscore is as you say, a special character,
      >then perhaps NTP should handle its use better. For example, if I use
      >the underscore character as the first character in a clip name as an
      >attribute of the Clip command (a very normal thing to do initially
      >for most clip writers), then sensible error message should point me
      >in the right direction. Instead, I had to research the "work
      >around". Wasted time. Also, I found no ready source of help on this
      >topic in NTP help.
      >
      >Where are special character characteristics described?

      Below is a snip from the Basic Clip Basics Tutorial
      which can be downloaded at

      http://jimbow.com/

      The information can be dug out of the Help files if you look in the right places

      Perhaps one day it will get added in a format similar to the below. :-)

      Regards,

      Jim

      The "ClipBook Header" (Informational Note) form of a "Clip" is denoted by being Highlighted in the Header Color, set in OPTIONS|CLIPBOOK TAB (Default = Red} and when clicked on they can cause NoteTab to open up an Information Note Box in the Editing Window if The Clip is formatted to do so. If not formatted to do so then NoteTab does nothing when they are selected and they simply serve as Clipbook Comments, Organizational Headings/Separators, or if no text is specified they simply serve as a blank line in the Editor Clipbook window display. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format when the Clip Header is preceded by a Semicolon.

      The "Insert Text Segment" (Rubber Stamp) form of a "Clip" is denoted by the "Dot" Bullet and when clicked on will cause NoteTab to directly insert a predefined text string into the document currently open in the Editing Window at the current cursor position. Repetitive Text can be typed once and pasted many times (like using a rubber stamp).

      The "Insert Text Segment and Position Cursor" (HTML Comment Formatting) form of a "Clip" is denoted by the "Plus Sign" Bullet and when clicked on will Cause NoteTab to either directly insert a predefined text string into the document currently open in the Editing Window at the current cursor position and then reposition the cursor for adding additional text, or Wrap the predefined text around text which has been selected, or open a Wizard Box in which the additional text can be specified and then insert the predefined text and the additional text into the document currently open in the Editing Window at the current cursor position. NoteTab Wizards are popup Information Getting Dialog/Selection Boxes which are used to get Variable Input/Definition from Keyboard/Mouse Input. Wizards are both defined and used by this type of Clip. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format when the Clip contains a line which contains the two-letter Command Code "^&" and has no lines beginning with the two-letter Command Code "^!".

      The "Executable" (Macro/Script) form of a "Clip" is denoted by an "Exclamation Mark" Bullet and when clicked on will Cause NoteTab to perform any or all of a multitude of functions which can be defined using the "Clip Programming Language" set of Commands. NoteTab Wizards are popup Information Getting Dialog/Selection Boxes which are used to get Variable Input/Definition from Keyboard/Mouse Input. Wizards are both defined and used by this type of Clip. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format when the Clip contains a line which begins with the two-letter Command Code "^!".

      The "Disabled" (Can allow Conditional Execution by NoteTab) form of a "Clip" is denoted by being Grayed Out and when clicked on causes NoteTab to do nothing. NoteTab may independently execute this form of Clip if a predefined set of conditions are met or if an expected event occurs. NoteTab recognizes a Clip to be of this format when the Clip Header is preceded by an Underscore.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic