6239Re: [Clip] Re: Problems capturing STDERROR

  • Jason Waugh
    Apr 3, 2001
      On 4/3/2001 at 7:26 AM wheeler54321@... wrote:

      >You see - I have all these problems without the quotes around "^**".
      >I think ^$GetOutput$/^$GetDosOutput work best (if not ONLY) with ^!
      >TextToFile or ^!Info or the output will get placed in the ^** doc.

      None of this still works. You see, ^$GetOutput()$ gives no problem when trying to get the output of a Perl script. *THAT* I can do fine... absolutely no problem...

      ^!Prompt ^$GetOutput("perl ^**")$ works everytime.

      It is only when trying to catch the output of a Perl syntax check ("perl -c ^**") that the problem occurs. Syntax Check does not output to StdOut - it outputs to StdErr. Since there is no ^$GetStdErr()$ function, I have to resort to running the command line and then opening StdError.Err to see what happened.

      Most of the time, StdError.Err doesn't even get created, so when it comes time to open it (in ANY way, whether OPEN or ^!Info or whatever) there is nothing to open.

      The rest of the time, I get, in StdError.Err the message - Can't open perl script "E:\perlstuff\address2.pl": Invalid argument. You are talking about the quotes here. They don't matter. Try at a command line 'perl -c perlscript' or 'perl -c "perlscript"' you will find you get the same result. Perl handles it both ways.

      I've tried this SO many ways, that I am convinced that there is just a bug somewhere in this.
    • Show all 31 messages in this topic