5942Re: [Clip] Highlighting text for programs

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Mar 1, 2001
      On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:00:29 -0500,
      "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...> wrote:

      >I got really discouraged about using NoteTab to develop Perl
      >scripts when someone on this board told me I'd need a copy of
      >Apache running on my computer to debug and run perl scripts.

      That someone gave you the wrong answer.

      Perl was originally designed as a text file manipulation language.
      It is still exceptionally good for this purpose.

      It later become popular as a language for CGI programming to
      support dynamic web pages, especially pages that need to
      communicate with database servers. When testing CGI pages,
      Apache can be helpful. Although depending on the circumstances,
      may not be necessary.

      But for other tasks, such as making changes to text files,
      ActivePerl works fine just by itself.

      Perl is a versatile language that can be used to fill wide
      variety of tasks. It is designed so that programs can be
      written quickly, in fact it is often considered one of the
      better "Rapid Application Development" languages. Perl
      is a "get the job done" sort of language, not meant for
      polished applications or for writing commercial software,
      but rather as a quick solution for handling practical tasks.

      NoteTab, with clipbook called NoteAwk, makes it even easier
      to work with Perl.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen