4793Re: Clip to Generate File Listings?

  • Sheri
    Sep 30, 2000
      Hi Larry,

      Clever, but there are problems <g> ...

      --- In ntb-clips@egroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

      >I just wanted to show that
      > there is a way to get the accented characters from a DOS output
      using my
      > last clip. I found two additional commands in NoteTab that take
      care of
      > the problem.
      >
      > ^!ShellWait runs my batch file and holds up execution of the clip
      until it
      > is finished so that the DirInfo.txt file is not loaded until the
      batch file
      > finishes. Even so, I had to place a one second delay in the clip
      after it
      > or the clip will not find the file.
      >
      > ^!OpenAscii opens a file as an ascii file and preserves the accented
      > characters as you wanted. NoteTab normally opens a file as ansi
      which was
      > causing the accented characters to be displayed incorrectly.

      Tried your clip. For some reason my Dirinfo.txt wound up in the C:\
      directory, so I amended it to OpenAscii C:\Dirinfo.txt. I added a 10
      second delay, and it still wouldn't open until after I manually
      closed the DOS console window showing the DIR execution.

      Problem 1: It won't work on a directory that has an accented
      character in its name (the DOS window shows "Path not found")

      Problem 2: Lets say the directory name has no accented characters,
      but one or more files within the directory does have them. It is not
      enough to open the file as ascii. The ascii would need to get
      permanently converted to Ansi, because the program that is using the
      listing needs to see the accented characters properly. The Dirinfo
      file would need to look proper in Notepad, for example, when opened
      there. The only way I see to convert it is to change the document
      properties and save the Dirinfo file. Can that be automated (not
      sure about the document properties dialog)?