2616[Clip] Re: Suggestion/Request: Rebol support

  • David Seidman
    Feb 8, 2000
      Good guess, Eb. Here is what the REBOL documentation says about STDIN and STDOUT:

      ------------------------
      Redirecting Input and Output

      On most systems it is possible to redirect the standard input from, and output to, files. For example:

      rebol -w script.r > output-file

      redirects the output to the specified file. Similarly,

      rebol -w script.r < input-file

      redirects input. Both input and output redirection are permitted. Note that the -w option prevents the REBOL console window from spawning as it interferes with standard input and output redirect attempts.

      ---------------------------

      That puts a fair amount of unwanted startup output onto standard output. To avoid it, the first command line argument should be -qw instead of just -w.

      On the other hand, I haven't figured out what you do to get rebol actually to read from standard input -- I figured out how to read from a named file, but I haven't figured out how to specify standard input. Of course, there is a whole lot I haven't figured out about rebol. I've only had it for less than 24 hours, most of which I have spend doing things other than trying to figure out rebol.

      At 10:15 AM 02/08/2000 -0600, Eb Guenther wrote:
      >Hi Alan,
      >
      >> > REBOL is indeed a very interesting program....
      >>
      >> > StdInput and StdOutput devices
      >>
      >>As far as I can tell, it does not.
      >

      >My guess would be, that it has to be able to interface
      >with STDIN and STDOUT.

      <SNIP>

      >So the only question remaining is, HOW does the programmer
      >implement this interface?

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic