24396Re: Why don't variables work correctly in Find dialog?

  • flo.gehrke
    Apr 9, 2014
      ---In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, <jshotsky@...> wrote :

      > When I try to find (^%Units%) using the find dialog, it does
      > not find anything, although there are numerous candidates for
      > it to find.

      There's a basic difference between the menu command Find and clip execution. That dialog will never evaluate variables or functions.

      > A somewhat different, but regular problem  I am having with the
      > find dialog is that, sometimes, there is no history in the find
      > dialog, other times there is.

      You already mentioned that issue with "Missing Find and Search history dropdowns", Basic Group, Sep 20, 2011, message #22233. And you confirmed that this happens when searching Unicode files.

      Regarding this problem, Eric once told me: "It's not a bug. Unfortunately the
      drop-down list is not designed to store Unicode text, which is why it
      isn't displayed in this situation." (Eric Fookes, Apr 25, 2012).

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic